I have to say it...

daopi

I have to say it...
« on: 8 Jan 2024, 05:21 am »
I watched today the video about the new X-Statik speakers. Thank you Danny for your continuous work to improve the speakers!
I am a newbie in building speakers and not much of electronics knowledge. So I may be wrong about what I am saying here.

I have a problem with the new design: is 6 ohms dipping to 4 ohms. The previous ones were 8 ohms and 91dB sensitivity. Awesome! My AVR receiver is rated to be used with 8 ohms speakers. Can do 6 ohms but the THD performance is at least 10 times worse in 6 ohms and can't handle 4 ohms. I have a feeling this is true for at least 90% of the receivers on the market today. So now my dream of having X-Statiks is gone, I can't afford upgrades to a high performance receiver/amplifier which runs in the thousands.

Do I worry too much about a simple AVR handling 6 ohms speakers? Would be possible to still offer the old crossover as an option even if the speakers are not that polished as the new generation? Is the new crossover that different from the old one? Are there common parts in old/new crossover?

Thank you!

Danny Richie

Re: I have to say it...
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jan 2024, 04:10 pm »
The important thing to consider is where the impedance drops.

If it is at 4 ohms in the first octave (20 to 40Hz) then it will demand a lot of current from the amplifier.

In this case the X-Statik is over 8 ohms all the way to 70Hz. By 100Hz it is still 6 ohms. So it is not that bad for most receivers.

The real dip, due to driver overlap, is up at 280Hz. So it is not that bad.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 8 Jan 2024, 04:46 pm »
Another option is to add separates amplification for the front channels. That’s how I’ve done it, dedicated power amps on the main channels and use the receiver’s amps for the rest of the channels.

daopi

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jan 2024, 05:33 am »
Thank you guys, hopes are up again!

Vince in TX

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jan 2024, 03:41 am »
Another option is to add separates amplification for the front channels. That’s how I’ve done it, dedicated power amps on the main channels and use the receiver’s amps for the rest of the channels.

This is how I do it also.   I have a pair of Odyssey Kismets, one mono for the Center channel and one stereo for L/R.  My Marantz SR8015 drives all of the other speakers.  But, naturally, they're $$$$.

Good luck in the quest.    :thumb:

Theronbo

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jan 2024, 04:54 pm »
Yeah,

Separate amp for LR speakers.

Krell in my class 200watts channel. Though the 100watt Marantz AVR did okay…. Certainly didn’t have problems.

Your AVR has handy preamp outs… I actually use the speaker out to drive the double trouble sub (not pictured).

(Large area rug was out for cleaning. Reduces room boom considerably.)

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 14 Jan 2024, 12:22 am »
Yeah,

Separate amp for LR speakers.

Krell in my class 200watts channel. Though the 100watt Marantz AVR did okay…. Certainly didn’t have problems.

Your AVR has handy preamp outs… I actually use the speaker out to drive the double trouble sub (not pictured).

(Large area rug was out for cleaning. Reduces room boom considerably.)

You have such a cool looking setup.

ctviggen

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jan 2024, 11:37 am »
Just make sure the receiver you have actually allows you to do that.  My receiver died, and I got one from Costco.  The old receiver had separate outputs for the speakers; the new one does not.  I never thought to look.

For me, it was not a big deal, as I was only using one amp to drive the center channel.  All of my other amps (Bryston, Jeff Rowland, etc.) died over time. So, I was down to only one amp anyway.