Evaluation Help

RonP

Evaluation Help
« on: 3 Jan 2024, 04:33 pm »
Hey guys,

I'm looking for some tips and advise here on two fronts. I'm trying to evaluate/compare some interconnects and soon will want to cross-compare some new speakers. So I need help with

1) what demo tracks would help with these comparisons ? (I'm a 70s - 90s Rock guy myself)

2) what's the recommended process and what should I be paying attention to?

So any links or direct recommendations here in the thread would be greatly appreciated.

Let me know!
Ron

ps. Happy New year!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Evaluation Help
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan 2024, 07:22 pm »
Most of the differences will tend to be most noticeable with the soundstage.  I'd make sure to have the speakers well away from the walls in order to maximize soundstage during the demo.

I listen for a few different things.  First I listen for tone because if it doesn't do tonal information right, the rest is pointless. 

For my brutal vocal test, I use female soprano.  Anna Netrebko is good and has some high quality recordings.  If you want to leave the room when she leans into the notes, then that's a bad sign.

Male vocals I use a korean R&B song by BTS called Singularity.  On a good system this track will sound sexy and playful.  On a great system you can hear past that playfulness and hear the pain in his voice. 

For bass I use Billie Eilish Xanny.  It's got great bass but also this 'blurry' effect that's quite cool when you listen for it.  This is also a great soundstage track because there's a ton of reverb and atmosphere mixed in. 

For scale, I used Mahler Symphony 5 conducted by Simon Rattle.  The recording is excellent and you should be able to keep track of all the instruments, even when all hell is breaking loose.

And last, for pure ability to emote, I will throw in some Nina Simone.  Usually the track is Strange Fruit but really anything by her is incredible.

WGH

Re: Evaluation Help
« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2024, 08:19 pm »
I'm trying to evaluate/compare some interconnects and soon will want to cross-compare some new speakers. So I need help with

1) what demo tracks would help with these comparisons ? (I'm a 70s - 90s Rock guy myself)

I haven't used 70s - 90s Rock to evaluate interconnects or speakers since the 70's - 90s. Most rock albums from that period were poorly recorded (remember Dynaflex vinyl?) but if that is what you listen to then pick the components that make your music sound the best. My records are still boxed up but I remember the very early Bonnie Raitt albums (1 - 3) sounded great.

Tea for the Tillerman by Cat Stevens is demo quality.
Plenty of hi-res old rock is being released, it sounds better than my old scratchy LPs. The latest Red and Blue digital remixed albums by the Beatles beats any of their vinyl releases, we compared them to pristine, never played Beatles Mono Boxed Set vinyl and everyone in our audio group agreed everything sounded better and clearer although the mono vinyl sounded like I remembered from the first time I heard their music from between 1962 - 1966.

The best interconnects I have heard since 1965 are from Hapa Audio. See if you can get on the 3 Year Anniversary Ember Tour and Giveaway.
The Ember is a copper interconnect and not as detailed as the higher priced Hapa interconnects, they will sound the best with old rock. Even if you can't afford them right now, the Ember will be an excellent point of reference for evaluating other interconnects.
« Last Edit: 3 Jan 2024, 10:38 pm by WGH »