Looking for Feedback on the LRS Upgrade Kit

redship

Looking for Feedback on the LRS Upgrade Kit
« on: 16 Oct 2023, 06:44 pm »
I'm very interested in upgrading my LRS using the GR Research kit but I've got a few questions I'm hoping a member can answer that has gone through the process. Specifically, how difficult was the kit to assemble. I'm proficient at electronics / wiring but I haven't seen much about the level of documentation provided with these kits. Has anyone mounted this crossover externally, if so, any tips? Secondly, how different was the sound? Still Maggie-like with a big increase in transparency? Danny mentions how hard the tweeter is being pushed and at higher volumes I hear this --  does this completely clear that up? Thanks!

Danny Richie

• Facilitator
    • http://www.gr-research.com
Re: Looking for Feedback on the LRS Upgrade Kit
« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2023, 10:07 pm »
I'm very interested in upgrading my LRS using the GR Research kit but I've got a few questions I'm hoping a member can answer that has gone through the process. Specifically, how difficult was the kit to assemble. I'm proficient at electronics / wiring but I haven't seen much about the level of documentation provided with these kits. Has anyone mounted this crossover externally, if so, any tips? Secondly, how different was the sound? Still Maggie-like with a big increase in transparency? Danny mentions how hard the tweeter is being pushed and at higher volumes I hear this --  does this completely clear that up? Thanks!

The upgraded crossover only involves three parts. So the assembly is pretty easy. Two of the tree parts get twisted together. Then wiring gets soldered to and from.

The hardest part (by far) is removing all of the staples from the bottom of the speaker to slide the grill cloth down.

The sound is transformed across the board. It is now clean and clear top to bottom.

This upgrade also address the stressed tweeter at high levels. It is no longer stressed and sounds much more relaxed.

BikeFi10

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jan 2024, 10:13 pm »
Redship, too bad theres no customer feedback on this. Ive seen a few favorable posts on the 1.7i  XO upgrade.
Did you go with the upgrade on your LRS? Results?

Hafgrim

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2024, 04:51 pm »
I have upgraded my lrs. Crossover was simple to build. Hardest part was removing the staples and covers and soldering to ribbons and identifying the phase.

Sound is more neutral. Bass is no longer as bloated and reaches a bit deeper but may cause distortion a little earlier if the track has too much sub bass information. More detailed and layered.

They still sound big like a proper maggi.