Revel M20 speakers- review and DIY upgrade tale

Rocket

Re: Revel M20 speakers- review and DIY upgrade tale
« Reply #20 on: 16 Jun 2019, 05:33 am »
Hi Jonbee,

High praise for this speaker and thanks for the post even though its from 2015.  I know how many speakers you've had over the years and I really liked your review of the Selah Audio Tempesta's. 

Cheers Rod

jonbee

« Reply #21 on: 16 Jun 2019, 02:47 pm »
Thank you for your responded Jon. I’m new here and it’s doesnt allow me to PM .
I sent you an email through the site.

wushuliu

« Reply #22 on: 16 Jun 2019, 04:37 pm »
what caused the brightness? the stereophile measurements didnt suggest that at all. except the ringing at 20khz, which it won't be remedied by removing the guide.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/revel-performa-m20-loudspeaker-measurements-part-2

The 6-8khz range is at the same level as the 1khz range. Maybe even a tough higher. IME this can be construed as bright and grainy. Especially with cheap crossover parts and metal dome. 3-5khz bump can help vocals but 6khz-10khz is a very sensitive range that needs tweaking to taste. Just because it looks flat in measurements doesn’t mean it will sound good.

Agreed on those calling for removing phase shield. I’ve read prominent crossover designers say it’s worth doing on some tweeters. This tweeter looks like a Vifa I once used and didn’t care for.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #23 on: 16 Jun 2019, 09:42 pm »
The 6-8khz range is at the same level as the 1khz range. Maybe even a tough higher. IME this can be construed as bright and grainy. Especially with cheap crossover parts and metal dome. 3-5khz bump can help vocals but 6khz-10khz is a very sensitive range that needs tweaking to taste. Just because it looks flat in measurements doesn’t mean it will sound good.

Agreed on those calling for removing phase shield. I’ve read prominent crossover designers say it’s worth doing on some tweeters. This tweeter looks like a Vifa I once used and didn’t care for.

I thought these used proprietary drivers, but I'm too lazy to verify that.

Before owning a pair of these I was a die hard soft dome tweeter only guy; always hearing harsh highs from metal domes. These speakers changed my mind on that.

celo

« Reply #24 on: 19 Jan 2024, 02:13 pm »
I recently purchased these and I am very impressed by them although I got to listen briefly. One thing I noticed that if your recording is bad, they will sound bad like most expensive speakers would sound good no matter how good/bad the recording is. Obviously this is a good thing but in real life with most recordings being OK quality, not too sure.

I am not planning on doing any mods. 1- I am not THAT handy. 2- I am not too sure if all that make a huge difference. Felt around the tweeter is an easy test. Maybe will try that tweak/mod.

Overall, in today’s used prices around $700-$800, nothing can touch these.

mr_bill

« Reply #25 on: 19 Jan 2024, 03:56 pm »
I recently purchased these and I am very impressed by them although I got to listen briefly. One thing I noticed that if your recording is bad, they will sound bad like most expensive speakers would sound good no matter how good/bad the recording is. Obviously this is a good thing but in real life with most recordings being OK quality, not too sure.

I am not planning on doing any mods. 1- I am not THAT handy. 2- I am not too sure if all that make a huge difference. Felt around the tweeter is an easy test. Maybe will try that tweak/mod.

Overall, in today’s used prices around $700-$800, nothing can touch these.

@celo, I completely agree with you.  I just bought a used pair and they are as fantastic as I remember them being 20 years ago.  I also will not be performing any mods.