Audio Karma's AK Fest

Nuance

The new speaker...
« Reply #20 on: 30 Apr 2008, 02:05 pm »
Wow!  That looks like a great design, Jim.  Congrats to you and Jeff Bagby for another fine job.  I am very excited to find out more information on it.   aa

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Audio Karma's AK Fest
« Reply #21 on: 30 Apr 2008, 03:02 pm »
Definitely going to have to make time this weekend to sneak out of the room and hear these. 

Bryan

jsalk

« Reply #22 on: 30 Apr 2008, 07:28 pm »
Wardsweb -

See you there Jim. I'll be sure to get some pics and specs for my writeup for EnjoytheMusic.com

Great, I'll look forward to seeing you.

By the way, is that sapele pomelle?

Good eye!  You are correct.

- Jim

Wardsweb

« Reply #23 on: 30 Apr 2008, 07:37 pm »
Wardsweb -

See you there Jim. I'll be sure to get some pics and specs for my writeup for EnjoytheMusic.com

Great, I'll look forward to seeing you.

By the way, is that sapele pomelle?

Good eye!  You are correct.

- Jim

I love that stuff. I have about 10 sheets 24x46 that I'm going to veneer my horns with. That is whenever I get some time. Problem is I don't see that happening anytime soon. It's already been over a year.

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #24 on: 30 Apr 2008, 08:01 pm »
I would like to hear your thoughts on the diffreence between in sound between this speaker and the Pharos.

rydenfan

« Reply #25 on: 1 May 2008, 02:21 am »
I would be most interested to see how these compare to something like Emerald Physics...

Nuance

« Reply #26 on: 3 May 2008, 01:57 pm »
Good to see you hear, Ryden. 

I too am looking forward to impressions from the AK fest.

One of the members here (and at AVS) owns the Emerald Physics CS2's, so I'd love to hear his impressions in comparison to the new open baffle speakers Jim is taking to AK fest. 

rydenfan

« Reply #27 on: 3 May 2008, 07:41 pm »
Hey Nuance!  :wink: Nice to see you as well. I spend most of my time in the Modwright section, but I always love to see what is going on with Salk as well.

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #28 on: 4 May 2008, 01:27 pm »
I've got to say, the Salk/Van Alstine room with Jim's new speakers was the best sound that I heard at the show yesterday.  Can't wait to go back today for some more.

pardales

« Reply #29 on: 4 May 2008, 01:56 pm »
I was sitting in the room when that picture was taken.  :D  I agree, the Salk/VanAsltine rooms were the best, and of the two of their rooms this one where the picture was taken was my favorite. Jim and Frank are fine people who make great stuff.

Frank's full differential system plus Salk speakers was mighty pleasing.

sanlanman

« Reply #30 on: 6 May 2008, 12:03 am »
I was there too, and spent a good bit of time in both Salk/Van Alstine Rooms. The new speakers did have a very open airy sound, that kind of reminded me of my old DCM Time Window 3s except with more detail and midrange clarity. Franks fully differential gear let the music accurately come forth from a totally black (silent) background, with basically 4 channels of amplification, each channel handling one half of each channnel's music wave. The new speakers do not go as deep as the HT3s as I discovered on an Eva Cassidy cut played on both systems, and I think the HT3s present a slight ly better image on some material. The room for the new speakers had more acoustical treatment than the other room to absorb some of the open baffle rear reflections since there was not enough room to pull the speakers out the distance Jim recommends.

The HT3s were very impressive and the Song Towers very clear and detailed, but a little less so than the HT3s. Out of all the other speakers I heard at the show, the only other ones that intrigued me were the Dali Helicon 400, MkIIs, (driven by Bel Canto electronics) but they had nothing on the HT3 speakers. Its a moot point for me as the Helicons and HT3s are out of my price range. Later that Saturday evening BigRed Machine (and Mrs. Machine) hosted an open house at their place with the Salks and Frank VA there along with other music lovers. I got to here the V3s that I am interested in and they are impressive too. As Big Red stated elsewhere, sonically, they are very close to the HT3s , falling slightly short of the HT3s in low freququency reach and dynamic volume output, although I must confess that the time difference between auditioning the V3s and HT3s made a detailed comparison hard to do.

All in all , a very pleasant experience for my first visit to Michigan. The wife and I are contemplating the V3 purchase and what options we want.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #31 on: 6 May 2008, 12:10 am »
Howdy.   Thanks for the report.  One thing I'm not clear on--Did Frank have his magic differential gear running in both rooms, or just in the Salk Portal room (another plug for my favorite name for the new speakers)?

BikeWNC

« Reply #32 on: 6 May 2008, 01:18 am »
Are there no pictures of the HT3s from AK Fest?  I was wondering if Jim brought my speakers up there as they should be done or very close to being done.    aa

Andy

Big Red Machine

« Reply #33 on: 6 May 2008, 01:35 am »
Are there no pictures of the HT3s from AK Fest?  I was wondering if Jim brought my speakers up there as they should be done or very close to being done.    aa

Andy

He brought "his" pair.  He would never bring a customer's pair w/o their permission first.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #34 on: 6 May 2008, 01:38 am »
Howdy.   Thanks for the report.  One thing I'm not clear on--Did Frank have his magic differential gear running in both rooms, or just in the Salk Portal room (another plug for my favorite name for the new speakers)?

Both.  Frank came loaded for bear!

BikeWNC

« Reply #35 on: 6 May 2008, 02:05 am »

Andy

He brought "his" pair.  He would never bring a customer's pair w/o their permission first.

I realize that. But some part of me wishes he did, that way I would know they were complete and ready to ship.   :D  Wish I could have made the show.

Papajin

« Reply #36 on: 6 May 2008, 02:30 am »

Andy

Actually, my speakers made an unexpected appearance at the 2006 RMAF show.  My speakers were in the U-Haul that Jim towed to the show because he was going to deliver them on the way back from RMAF, but something was wrong with the HT3's he brought for the show (I don't remember what), and mine ended up making an appearance.  My first view of my speakers were from folks posting pics of the Salk room from that show.  Ironically, one of the posted pics of my speakers was taken by you. :)

jsalk

« Reply #37 on: 6 May 2008, 02:34 am »

Andy

I realize that. But some part of me wishes he did, that way I would know they were complete and ready to ship.   :D  Wish I could have made the show.

Andy -

We will most likely be packing your speakers tomorrow.  One of my associates was lobbying me to bring your speakers.  But I did not want to risk scratching them.  I should have some pics of my pair and yours in the next couple of days.

- Jim

BikeWNC

« Reply #38 on: 6 May 2008, 03:26 am »

Andy

Andy -

We will most likely be packing your speakers tomorrow.  One of my associates was lobbying me to bring your speakers.  But I did not want to risk scratching them.  I should have some pics of my pair and yours in the next couple of days.

- Jim

Thanks, Jim!  I'm sure we'll be in touch before you ship them.  I'll be out of town until the 19th this month.  I'm really looking forward to seeing the pics!

Big Red Machine

« Reply #39 on: 7 May 2008, 01:01 am »
Some more shots of the new speaker: