Salk Encore upgrade or equal to Aerial 7t

Ledhead26

Salk Encore upgrade or equal to Aerial 7t
« on: 3 Aug 2020, 08:34 pm »
I know this is the Salk forum but wanted to get some of your opinions. I own the Aerials and they really are excellent all around speakers but you know how it goes with curiosity. I would love to order a pair of the encores but am afraid of a possible downgrade. What does the hive say on this subject? And thanks for the input.

DWG

Re: Salk Encore upgrade or equal to Aerial 7t
« Reply #1 on: 5 Aug 2020, 06:10 pm »
I am interested in both brands. I've only had  a chance to hear these brands at audio shows for short periods of time in less than perfect environments.   I'd love to hear from somebody who has lived with both.  Gotta believe that owners of both brands hang on to their speakers once they get them home.  Neither are regularly seen on the used market.

Mudslide

« Reply #2 on: 5 Aug 2020, 07:25 pm »
I have not heard the AA 7Ts.  But I own 7Bs.  Salks (which I have thoroughly auditioned), Philharmonic Audio (similar to Salks and which I currently, and always will own), and Aerial Acoustics are my three all-time favorite loudspeakers.  For reference, I have owned or auditioned hundreds of speakers.

So I'm at a bit of a loss how to compare the 7Ts (vs. the 7Bs).  Without getting into a lengthy review, which you can find in many places, I can offer a short impression of each that I own.  And I'll say that you'll have to pull all the above speakers from my cold, dead hands.  I find the Salks and Phils to be ultra-clear and beautifully musical ... especially when they sport the RAAL tweeters.  Their crossovers have been designed by my favorite guy in the speaker design business...Dennis Murphy.  The AAs are a tad darker...likely due to the tweeter, and require more power to reach their best.  They're not as sweet as the others, but the 7Bs are pretty darn smooth, and like the Salks/Phils, are super linear across the frequency range. 

Depending upon your particular usage, you will be happy with either choice...though I'd tip the scale a bit toward the Salks (or Phils).

Happy hunting.

Ledhead26

« Reply #3 on: 6 Aug 2020, 07:39 pm »
Thanks for the responses so far guys. As far as the Encores go, since they are front ported I’m assuming placement closer to the front wall is acceptable? That’s about the only downside to the Aerials for me, the rear port which needs to be quite a distance off that wall to sound best.

Does anyone have examples of similar pedigree speakers that they left behind for the Salks?

Rocket

« Reply #4 on: 7 Aug 2020, 12:42 am »
Hi,

It seems like you already have a high quality speaker with your Aerial 7t's.  I don't have any experience with your speaker but I'm a Salk Sound fan.  I have a pair of Salk Sound HT3's, Rhythmic subwoofer and also a pair of Song 3's.

I think you really need to try someone local for you to travel to and have a listen to a pair of Jim's speakers.  Its really up to you though as I'm sure it wouldn't be a step backward but it may just be a sideways step.

If I purchase another pair of speakers I would purchase another pair of Salk Sound again.  The encores' looks like really good value.  Good luck with your decision.

Cheers Rod
« Last Edit: 7 Aug 2020, 02:21 am by Rocket »

Ledhead26

« Reply #5 on: 13 Aug 2020, 12:40 am »
So after some back and forth with Jim via email I am more interested in the Encores than ever. Now I just have to find a new home for my Aerials before I put an order in with Salk. I like the idea of having a pair of speakers custom built to what I want and not to mention the craftsmanship that goes into them is excellent.

Ledhead26

« Reply #6 on: 8 Oct 2020, 01:01 am »
Well after some self debate between the Encores and the BeATs I decided to go with the BeATs. With some blind luck, I fortunately stumbled onto a brand new pair that were returned by the original customer due to the cabinets not matching his home furnishings. It was perfect for me since they were finished in the exact veneer I was going to order anyway. They showed up last week and I am super pleased with the Salks. The fit and finish is excellent and the sound is even better!

Ledhead26

« Reply #7 on: 8 Oct 2020, 01:02 am »
Not sure why the pics are sideways

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #8 on: 8 Oct 2020, 02:50 am »
It's a gravity issue. My gravity is 90 degrees different, so my pics uploaded just fine.  :lol:

« Last Edit: 8 Oct 2020, 03:07 pm by mresseguie »

Rocket

« Reply #9 on: 8 Oct 2020, 10:56 am »
Hi,

I'm interested in how they compare with your previous aerial speakers?

Cheers Rod

Ledhead26

« Reply #10 on: 8 Oct 2020, 04:06 pm »
Hi,

I'm interested in how they compare with your previous aerial speakers?

Cheers Rod

As some of you know, the Aerial 7T are great speakers. Very well rounded, musical speaker that does very little wrong. They are very smooth from top to bottom. Top notch cabinet construction and great customer service just like Salk. That said, for me so far I prefer the Salk BeATs and that’s not saying anything bad about the Aerials, more just how much I’m enjoying the sound from the Salks.

The Aerials do dig a little deeper in the bass department but not a ton. The Salks are just so musical, velvety smooth, and airy that it is almost addictive. It’s hard to believe how detailed they can sound without being bright or offensive. Probably has a lot to do with the quality of the drivers that Salk uses. Some of the imaging has been scary good on some tracks.

Like I said, the Aerials are great, I just prefer the Salks so far.