DAC/Headphone Amp combo

Afterimage

DAC/Headphone Amp combo
« on: 29 Apr 2009, 06:08 pm »
Vinnie, have you ever considered doing a DAC/headphone amp combo?  I realize you offer the headphone out and DAC in the Isabella preamp,  and I have a unit in my basement for my main system(mine does not have the headphone out though), but when I'm down there I only want to listen to speakers.  My headphone system in next to my bed and it would be nice to have a great DAC/headphone amp in one box on the night stand.   Anyway something to think about, there might be a market.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: DAC/Headphone Amp combo
« Reply #1 on: 1 May 2009, 01:47 pm »
Vinnie, have you ever considered doing a DAC/headphone amp combo?  I realize you offer the headphone out and DAC in the Isabella preamp,  and I have a unit in my basement for my main system(mine does not have the headphone out though), but when I'm down there I only want to listen to speakers.  My headphone system in next to my bed and it would be nice to have a great DAC/headphone amp in one box on the night stand.   Anyway something to think about, there might be a market.

Hi Afterimage,

Thank you for your post.  Would an Isabellina dac with built-in headphone stage (like the one we offer as an option for the Isabella preamp) be what you are looking for?  This would involve adding in our headphone stage, as well as a volume control.  I would still make it with RCA outputs (so you can use the Isabellina dac in your home audio system). 

If there is enough interest, I can make something like this happen and it would sound great.  We use the same Isabella headphone stage in the ALO Audio Amphora, which has been keeping Ken (of ALO Audio) and I very busy.  There are many posts of it on headfi:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f70/alo-red-wine-audio-desk-top-headphone-amp-amphora-w-photos-409801/

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f70/amphora-headphone-amp-impressions-415737/

Thank you for your post about this! 

Best regards,

Vinnie

Afterimage

« Reply #2 on: 2 May 2009, 01:06 pm »
yeah, an Isabellina DAC with a built in headphone stage would be exactly what I would be looking for.  I have no idea if there would be a market big enough or not, but just from reading headfi, plenty of guys spend a lot of money on headphone amps/cd players/DACs in separate units that cost a lot of money.  Not to mention the money spent on interconnects.  I think you could come in with a one box solution, especially with so many guys going to their computers as a source.   I am currently using an Apogee Duet (DAC/headphone out combo)with my Grado GS1000s and Sony MDR 10s.  It is so nice, but I wouldn't mind getting something like this with better performance.  Not that that the Apogee Duet is not good, very enjoyable, but you know what I mean.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 4 May 2009, 03:21 pm »
yeah, an Isabellina DAC with a built in headphone stage would be exactly what I would be looking for.  I have no idea if there would be a market big enough or not, but just from reading headfi, plenty of guys spend a lot of money on headphone amps/cd players/DACs in separate units that cost a lot of money.  Not to mention the money spent on interconnects.  I think you could come in with a one box solution, especially with so many guys going to their computers as a source.   I am currently using an Apogee Duet (DAC/headphone out combo)with my Grado GS1000s and Sony MDR 10s.  It is so nice, but I wouldn't mind getting something like this with better performance.  Not that that the Apogee Duet is not good, very enjoyable, but you know what I mean.

Hi Afterimage,

Thank you for your feedback.  This is something that I will highly considering offering, and maybe I will keep it as a limited production run that is sold factory direct (in order to keep cost low).  Let me think it over some more and see what I can come up with...

Feel free to post any other ideas/suggestions for this, and thanks again!

Vinnie

veloaudio

« Reply #4 on: 7 May 2009, 12:46 am »
Hi Vinnie,

I think this would be a great idea!! Only suggestion I would have would be to put the headphone jack on the front panel. I'm enjoying my Isabellina/Amphora but a one box solution would be great.

-Matt

KingStyles

« Reply #5 on: 7 May 2009, 05:44 am »
I would be interested for sure. I just dont have any need for a preamp and I like the way the isabella is done with the tubes covered up. I have to watch out for the toddlers wanting to touch.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 8 May 2009, 01:58 pm »
Hi Vinnie,

I think this would be a great idea!! Only suggestion I would have would be to put the headphone jack on the front panel. I'm enjoying my Isabellina/Amphora but a one box solution would be great.

-Matt

Hi Matt,

The headphone jack will be on the front.  I would put the volume control in the center, and the headphone jack on the right side (a symetrical distance away from the volume control as the power switch is on the left side).  Should look really sweet!

I'm also thinking that the RCA outputs should be volume controlled.  This way, one can also connect it directly to a home audio power amplifier, like a Signature 30.2 power amp.  aa

Play time on a full charge should be in the 12 to 24 hour range...

Hi KingStyles,

Welcome to Audiocircle and the RWA forum!

This Isabellina dac + Headphone amp would not use tubes because it would not use the Isabella tube preamp stage (but the Isabella tube preamp does not get hot like power amp tubes do  :flame:)

If there is enough interest (Perhaps I need to link this thread to headfi.com), I can do a limited-run and sell this factory-direct and maybe even offer as a group-buy?  Thoughts?  :scratch:

Thanks again!

Vinnie

veloaudio

« Reply #7 on: 8 May 2009, 04:01 pm »
Fixed and variable RCA outs would be really nice, although I would take fixed only (I might be in the minority on this one). I have a Stax amp that I feed from my Isabellina.

I thnk it would be good to gauge some interest on headfi. Also, I know it is very early in the game but would your trade-up policy apply?

KingStyles

« Reply #8 on: 8 May 2009, 04:47 pm »
Would the headphone amp be the same one in the ampfora? I did like the idea of tubes and the idea of tube rolling. Maybe thell have chip rolling someday. :thumb:

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 11 May 2009, 09:38 pm »
Hi veloaudio,

Also, I know it is very early in the game but would your trade-up policy apply?

Do you mean trading-up from Isabellina dac with HP output unit to the Isabella tubed preamp with headphone output option? 

Or trading up from an Isabellina dac to an Isabellina dac with HP output? 

If it is the later, it'll probably be easier to send in your Isabellina dac to have it upgraded with the HP output - but it is a little early in the game to provide details about this.  I will keep everyone posted...

Would the headphone amp be the same one in the ampfora? I did like the idea of tubes and the idea of tube rolling. Maybe thell have chip rolling someday

Hi KingStyles,

Yes, it would be very similar to that.  I would probably only make a few minor changes (e.g. gain) to optimize it for use with the Isabellina dac.  The Amphora uses our Isabellina headphone board.  However, this board does not allow for chip rolling - it was designed to only worth with one particular chip. 

Thanks for all your questions and feedback!

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 3 Jun 2009, 09:14 pm »
All,

Just a quick note to confirm that we are moving ahead with the "Isabellina HPA" (HPA - Headphone Amplifier).  8)

This will be an Isabellina dac, with built-in remote volume control and 1/4" headphone output jack on the front panel.

There will still be RCA outputs, and they can be set to be:

1) fixed output (direct output from dac)

2) volume controlled - controlled via the remote volume control.  In this case, you can connect directly to a home audio power amp.  It is essentially like having a passive preamp built-in, but the inputs are all digital (USB, coax, and optical).

These are going to be sold direct, and since this is geared towards the headfi crowd, we will be looking to do a group-buy on headfi.com. You can see my thread about this upcoming product in the ALO Audio forum on headfi.com 

I'll post updates as they become available.  :hyper:

Best regards,

Vinnie

pardales

« Reply #11 on: 3 Jun 2009, 11:45 pm »
$?

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 5 Jun 2009, 02:05 pm »
$?

We're still working out the exact number, but since we are selling these direct and through a headfi group buy, the price will be in the $2k - $2.5k range...

jallis

« Reply #13 on: 8 Jun 2009, 02:34 am »
Vinnie,
 I thought I would register here at AudioCircle and add my .02cents. BTW, this is a rather nice forum, i really like the friendly folks here and the innovative topics that get discussed.
 As you know, i have written you several emails and have posted over at Head-Fi.org my intent to boldly stand in line for my very own Isabellina HPA! And now that i am here, i thought i would boldly stand in line here too for my very own Isabellina HPA!
 i suspect that the group buy might turn out to be a big group buy viinie.....:-))))
and now i think i'll go check out the rest of AudioCircle.....
joe

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #14 on: 9 Jun 2009, 02:40 am »
Vinnie,
 I thought I would register here at AudioCircle and add my .02cents. BTW, this is a rather nice forum, i really like the friendly folks here and the innovative topics that get discussed.
 As you know, i have written you several emails and have posted over at Head-Fi.org my intent to boldly stand in line for my very own Isabellina HPA! And now that i am here, i thought i would boldly stand in line here too for my very own Isabellina HPA!
 i suspect that the group buy might turn out to be a big group buy viinie.....:-))))
and now i think i'll go check out the rest of AudioCircle.....
joe

Hi Joe,

Welcome to Audiocircle and the RWA forum!  Audiocircle is a great forum and I know you'll like it here. 

Well that's fine with me!  :green:

Thank you for all your interest in the upcoming Isabellina HPA - all your patience will be well-rewarded as this is going to be a very sweeeeet headphone amp  8)

I'll be posting updates as they become available...

Thanks again,

Vinnie

Mariusz

« Reply #15 on: 9 Jun 2009, 02:49 am »
Looks like another great product from RWA.
Congratulation Vinnie. I know guys waiting for it will be rewarded with an awesome DAC with features to die for. Very cool and innovative ideas with volume control and head amp in one unit.   Bravo!!!!!

Best
Mariusz :thumb:

jallis

« Reply #16 on: 9 Jun 2009, 03:36 am »
Vinnie,
 Thanks for the warm welcome here at AudioCircle. It is greatly appreciated by me.
 Have you given the silver wiring upgrade anymore thoughts. were there any other upgrades, parts, etc. that you were are considering using in the Isabellina HPA?
 Are you any closer to a est. release date of the Isabellina HPA?
 Here is to hoping that you do a run of t-shirts too!
joe

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #17 on: 9 Jun 2009, 12:54 pm »
Hi Mariusz,

Thanks! 

Hi Joe,

Still waiting on some parts, and then I'll build the prototype and test out the silver in cotton wire (from Ken at ALO), along with a few different caps.

Yes - one of these days, I'll look into the RWA T-shirts too  :lol:

But for now, I'm going to channel my energy into the Isabellina HPA (as well as future products...).

Thanks again,

Vinnie

jallis

« Reply #18 on: 9 Jun 2009, 01:44 pm »
Vinnie,
 "future products"...hmm... since you spilled the beans so to speak, care to elaborate a little on what some of those future products might be? are you thinking of updating current product lines or thinking of adding a new product type? don't be too shy about this now! remember this... you got all of us "thinking cap" types out here to help you flesh out those ideas!
joe

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #19 on: 9 Jun 2009, 06:58 pm »
Vinnie,
 Thanks for the warm welcome here at AudioCircle. It is greatly appreciated by me.
 Have you given the silver wiring upgrade anymore thoughts. were there any other upgrades, parts, etc. that you were are considering using in the Isabellina HPA?
 Are you any closer to a est. release date of the Isabellina HPA?
 Here is to hoping that you do a run of t-shirts too!
joe
I guess wire and interconnects are subjective (and system dependent). I have 100% Red Wine electronics & Omega speakers, with only one interconnect. Spent considerable time A/Bing Hudson 8-wire silver to the IC I now use (manufacture does not disclose construction). Ended up selling the silver. Silver may have had the slightest edge on leading edge detail, and might even have had a tad more air, but the cable I use produces a fuller, more rounded sound, which to my ear sounds more organic / lifelike.

To each his own  :beer:

Kent