Sig 30 question...

Chickenism

Sig 30 question...
« on: 2 Jan 2009, 04:29 am »
G'day all,

Firstly, a very Happy New Year to all my fellow RWA devotees.  To you all, my best wishes for a safe, happy and healthy 2009.  :)

My Sig 30 continues to impress to bejeesus out of me.  I've used a fair few amps over the past few years (big Krell SS, various valves including 300B's and KT88's) but nothing, nothing I have used comes even close to just nailing the music like this little wonder does.  The old cliche about rediscovering old favourites really applies here.  I can listen to this thing for hours without the slightest hint of fatigue; just goosebumps and a big stupid grin on my face  :oops:

If I may trouble you with one question, however...(I've searched back and found only a couple of vaguely similar questions).

I find I'm regularly running my amp with the gain set at 3 o'clock or thereabouts.  Yes, I do listen loudish, you'd need to talk loudly over it.  But with one or two quietly recorded CD's (Fleetwood Mac's Mirage is one, a few Mobile Fidelity CD's seem to be this way too) I'm finding that I can't get quite enough gain out of the amp to really get these recordings moving.

Could this indicate a problem, or is this to be expected?  It doesn't seem to worry the amp at all; it's definitely not being pushed to the point of clipping.  I'm just a bit surprised that this is the case with my Zu Druids, which are very efficient, and a CDP which outputs 2.5V.  Plus, my room is smallish (3m X 5.5m, open in one corner to the dining area, albeit well damped).

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Cheers, Dave  :) 

wilsynet

Re: Sig 30 question...
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2009, 09:56 am »
Hey Dave,

I've got a pair of Zu Druids too.  The 30.2 isn't identical to the 30, but I think in terms of power, gain and current, the two may be sufficiently similar as to be comparable.  I believe the Signature 30 Integrated is 30 watts, has 30db of gain and runs on similar spec SLA batteries as the 30.2.  I have the power amp version of the 30.2 which is 30 watts and 24db of gain and I run my preamp at 0db gain, so if it's loud enough from the 30.2 it should be loud enough from the 30.

If someone else doesn't come up with something more useful, please feel free send me MP3s of one or more tracks that are ostensibly too quiet.  I'm visiting folks right now, but when I get back home Jan 5, I'll load it on my system and see if I have the same response that you do.

My email address is in my profile listing, but if it doesn't jump out at you for whatever reason, please send me a PM.

Wilson

R Browne

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jan 2009, 04:56 pm »
I have a Sig 30 and have experienced similar results for a few recordings. My default setting on the Sig 30 volume control is generally at the 9 o'clock position but it can be higher for moderate volume in my small room. Sometimes as high as the 12 o'clock position. I'm using a 47 Labs 4616 transport and 4715 DAC with a 2 V output and speakers with 95 dB sensitivity. When watching movies from a Sony DVD player amplified by the Sig 30 the volume can vary quite a bit from disc to disc. Generally the volume is set anywhere between the 10 and 12 o'clock positions.

If I correctly interpret your situation, it seems that some recordings require the volume control to be set much higher which increases the output volume, yet without the increased dynamics and drive one would expect at that setting. You might try an active pre-amp to see if that solves the problem for you, but the Sig 30's 20K Ω input impedance may limit your optimal choices more so than the Sig 30.2 amp (w/o volume control) with its 100K Ω input impedance. You may find that an active pre-amp will give you more guts and drive but it should be relatively uncolored to preserve the characteristics of the Sig 30 that we like. I tried this with an Audio Note M1 pre-amp that I have but had to experiment with some different tube sets to find ones that did not give it too much warmth or coloration. Generally, I prefer the Sig 30 without a pre-amp but as they say, your results may vary.
« Last Edit: 2 Jan 2009, 08:56 pm by R Browne »

bprice2

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jan 2009, 06:40 pm »
I'd hook-up a different cd player and see what happens.  But then again, 3 o'clock on the Sig 30 is typically screaming through my 96 db speakers.

wilsynet

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jan 2009, 07:03 pm »
When I had the 30.2 integrated paired with the Zu Druids, 12 o'clock was plenty, plenty loud.  3 o'clock, like bprice2, would be screaming.  That's why I'd like to get a copy of his track and see if it's the track or maybe something else. 

RBrowne has a good point regarding dynamics, output Z and input Z.  Generally, yes, 2.5V is plenty, but what's the output impedance on the CDP?

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #5 on: 5 Jan 2009, 03:53 pm »
Hi Chickenism,

My Sig 30 continues to impress to bejeesus out of me.  I've used a fair few amps over the past few years (big Krell SS, various valves including 300B's and KT88's) but nothing, nothing I have used comes even close to just nailing the music like this little wonder does.  The old cliche about rediscovering old favourites really applies here.  I can listen to this thing for hours without the slightest hint of fatigue; just goosebumps and a big stupid grin on my face 

Glad you are loving your Sig 30.  If you are impressed now, one day you need to get it upgraded to the 30.2 level - it gets even better!  :drool:

I find I'm regularly running my amp with the gain set at 3 o'clock or thereabouts.  Yes, I do listen loudish, you'd need to talk loudly over it.  But with one or two quietly recorded CD's (Fleetwood Mac's Mirage is one, a few Mobile Fidelity CD's seem to be this way too) I'm finding that I can't get quite enough gain out of the amp to really get these recordings moving.

Unless it is written otherwise under your Sig 30, it offers 30dB of gain.  That is a healthy dose of gain, and into efficient speakers like the Zu, I would think that would be plenty of gain. 

It doesn't seem to worry the amp at all; it's definitely not being pushed to the point of clipping.  I'm just a bit surprised that this is the case with my Zu Druids, which are very efficient, and a CDP which outputs 2.5V.

If the 30.2 is not clipping, but the volume is at MAX, this means it could go louder if the input signal was stronger.  Are you sure you are getting a 2.5V RMS output from your CD player?  It just doesn't make sense...

Unless those CDs are recorded at an abnormally low of a level, it is strange that you would need more than 30dB of gain.  :scratch:

As bprice2 recommended, I would try to hook up a different CD player (even an inexpensive DVD/CD player just to test).  I have the feeling that your current CD player is not outputting enough voltage...

And unless your CDP has very high output impedance (e.g. over 2k), the 20k input impedance of the Sig 30 should not be an issue.

I also assume the interconnects are not some strange design with built-in attenuation or anything like that?  :green:

Best regards,

Vinnie

PS: thanks to all who posted to help while I've been so busy.... much appreciated!