Signature 70 impressions and comparisons.

-Richard-

Signature 70 impressions and comparisons.
« on: 10 Jun 2007, 01:23 am »
Two months ago I ordered a Signature 70 amplifier that consists of a pair of monoblocks each with its
own volume control. I told Vinnie what I was looking for in the way of a “sound” and he had patiently
explained to me in our numerous emailings that he thought the Signature 70 would fit my needs perfectly.

Vinnie said that the Signature 70 was a tad warmer, had a more fleshed out bass, better top end
extension and riper mid-range than the Signature 30. After a proper burn-in period of 100 hours or
so it was quite clear that Vinnie was entirely correct. I no longer had the Signature 30 to compare with
it in an A/B “shootout”... but my memory was still fresh and it seemed immediately apparent to me
that the Signature 70 was a step-up... more than that... a more perfectly realized amplifier on every
level that matters to me.

What I did not expect was the way the Signature 70 renders the intelligence of the music. Of course
not all music is created to move us “intellectually” as well as viscerally... to merge the heart and head
as a single movement, the way classical music is designed to do. And it is precisely in the realm of
this kind of music... music written to engage our most ancient drive to “hunt”... to follow our prey
through whatever terrain we encounter... forests, deserts, mountains... the complex musical territories
that classical music... and all the forms of music that partake of that fascinating realm of complex
musical ideas... asks us to wander through.

It is the way the Signature 70 pulls apart every musical instrument from one another. Every minute
complex interlaced thematic musical narrative and melody is given its own place... its own space...
within the whole throbbing musical gestalt. Everything is there moving together... pulsating together...
throbbing together... but entirely distinct... with this enormous see-through clarity... finally... finally...
we understand what the composer meant by this or that musical idea... we understand it because the
Signature 70 renders every instrument with its own distinct nuance intact... it is finally all there...
not simply a blur of tone... like most SET amps render... but one can follow for the first time the
intelligence of why he or she composed that music in that way... the inner intelligence is revealed as
if a powerful laser light was shinning on it.

There is also this amazing ability to “tune into” any instrument one wishes to focus on and then tune
into another instrument... one moves from instrument to instrument... from major theme to
sub-theme... because it is all there... entirely revealed and intact... whole and yet all the constituent
parts are there to be examined in the midst of the musical flow.

With the Signature 70 one enters into an almost eerie surreal dimension. The detail is no longer
relevant... nothing... and I mean nothing I have heard even comes close to revealing the detail that is
hidden on the CD the way the Signature 70 can... but what one hears is not detail at all... but this
sense that everything is there... everything necessary that the musical event needs to come alive...
to enter your heart and mind the way the composer and player or singer wanted you to hear.
The Signature 70 is not about parts coming together... like most amps I have heard... it is about
the music being entirely true to itself as it was meant to be.

I decided not to “jump into” a formal overview of my impressions of the Signature 70... the Signature
30 hit me right away as one of the finest world-class amplifiers available at any price. Comparable
to any highly refined SET tube amp in the world. The Signature 70 definitely has more of everything
that the Signature 30 has... however it is not day and night... it is the right amplifier for anyone who
wants the best Vinnie’s new Signature Series has to offer.

I purchased Jeff Korneff’s 45 amp to explore further the sound of the 45 tube...
and honestly... to compare what many people consider one of the best 45 amps in the world with Vinnie’s
Signature 70 amp. I was that curious.

Well as far as my experience goes... Jeff’s amp is one of the best 45 amps in the world... tremendous bass
but what really sets Jeff’s amp into an entirely different dimension is its tone...
of course the detail is there as well... that is after all one of the finest characteristics
of the 45 amp.

I had been playing Vinnie’s Signature 70 amplifier every day for 2 months before I finally switched
in Jeff’s 45. Jeff’s 45 amplifier needs a preamplifier. Otherwise 2.5 watts does not go very far using
a passive Luminous attenuator (preamplifier). Doctor Steven Rayle, one of Audio Circle’s most
illuminated music lovers and equipment researcher extraordinair, sent me his Lloyd Peppard
designed triode tube Magic 5B preamplifier. That did the trick... Jeff’s 45 came to life.

Now I had Jeff’s 45 amp to compare the Signature 70 to... and Lloyd’s preamplifier to hear what
a triode tube preamplifier does and does not do to alter the Signature 70’s sound and performance.

After listening to Jeff’s 45 amp for a few days I switched back the Signature 70. It more than held its
own... the tone of the Signature 70 is THERE... it is in SET territory... rich, palpable and present.
In spite of Jeff’s 45 amp having remarkable detail, the Signature 70 really is in a class of its own...
it has to be heard to be believed. So what were the differences? The Signature 70 is cleaner...
the “intelligence”  of the music comes through with this remarkable inner light... Jeff’s 45 has a
tubes-take-on-tone... Vinnie’s Signature 70 has a tonal personality all its own... ripe yes... but also not
euphonic... and the speed of Vinnie’s Signature 70 is rather astounding... lightening fast transients that
turn your head on music you think you know well. And Vinnie's Signature 70 is as smooth as silk.

I love both amps... I am a 2 amp man I suppose... so I move back and forth between the 2 amps with
a certain relish... however for film and larger scale music the Signature 70 reigns supreme. Also when
I want punch... Deb and I do actually kick up our heels when we are alone (I no longer like to dance in
public... it seems entirely too personal an act to share with others... I am not a prude and I come from
the last generation that really knew how to dance... it's just a feeling I have).

So what does Lloyd’s triode tube preamp do for the Signature 70. Magic of a kind. It does not exactly
sound like Jeff’s 45... nor does it sound like the “stock” Signature 70. But it is delicious.... imagine...
Vinnie has designed an amplifier that by itself is perfection itself... this is no exaggeration... but you
can also combine it with a tube preamp and change its character somewhat just for the fun of it.

Deb’s take? Deb loves Vinnie’s Signature 70... “Vinnie’s amp is perfect... I love it!!!!!” When I go back
and forth between Jeff’s amp and Vinnie’s, Deb cannot tell the difference between them... and she is
a highly sensitive listener... Vinnie’s Signature 70 sounds like the best 45 SET amp in the world...
and then some!!!!!!

Let me end this “impression” of the Signature 70 amplifier by just mentioning that having monoblocks...
each with its own volume control... allows for extremely fine tuning of each channel...
a must in my system because my Open Baffle speakers are so room and placement sensitive
(one side always sounds a bit louder than the other). If you own the Signature 30 or have just enough
money to purchase one I can say that you are over 90% where the Signature 70 is.
But for me... it was worth the extra money... that last 8% of perfection is perfection itself.

Warmest Regards ~ Richard

« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2007, 05:28 am by -Richard- »

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Signature 70 impressions and comparisons.
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jun 2007, 01:35 am »
Outstanding work Richard!!

Makes me want to go out and get the Sig 70's.   aa

Glad to see a person so happy with their purchase.

George

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jun 2007, 02:21 am »
Richard,

I had a chance to listen to a pair of Vinnie's Sig 70's that he had sent up to Paul Candy from 6moons for a review. Paul had brought them along to our TAAS Amp Comparo that we held earlier this year. BTW, I thought they fared exceptionally well amidst some of the other great performers there.

Vinnie was kind enough to ask Paul to send them to me after he finished reviewing them, and I had them in my system for a couple of weeks.  :green: I agree with you on a lot of the sonic qualities of the Sig 70's. They do have good bass extension, perhaps giving up the slightest wee bit of bottom end control to a good solid state amp (but really, I'm splitting hairs here). I also found them to be silky smooth, as you describe, and very good detail retrieval. Also not an overly forward sounding amp. Just laid back enough. Another aspect, is they are entirely non-fatiguing. The more you listen to them, the more you want to keep on listening. I could easily listen to this amp all day.

Interestingly, I found that with acoustically ambient recordings such as classical, and jazz in particular, I could hear the delay between early reflections of the hall the music was recorded in a tad clearer. The slap of the left/right early reflections, and late reflections was noticeably clearer, giving the overall stereo imaging an added sense of realism. I suspect that some of that might be due to the improved channel separation of the Sig 70's being mono-blocs. But in any event, it exists in the Sig 70's.

I also, at the same time as I had the Sig 70's, had a 300B based tube amp from Kallista Audio, and by comparison, the 300B was a slower amp, a little less defined in the bass, and a little rolled off in the highs. I still quite enjoyed that amp as well, a nice easy listening amp, but not my cup of tea.

I would agree with what a lot of people say about the Sig 70 having a good blend of characteristics of both a good SS amp and a good tube amp.

Congrats on hitting upon a combo that really rocks for you!

Cheers

Zero

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jun 2007, 03:03 am »
Richard,

Thanks for taking the time and effort into creating a very well rounded and spirited review.  Congrats on finding a music making piece that takes you closer to the heart of the music!

I am breaking in the Signature 30, and it is indeed a special amplifier.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2007, 03:20 am »
Nice review there Richard.... :thumb:
I'm glad to see you got to try a Mapletree as well... 8)

Happy listening...........
                                 Chris

nonoise

• A republic, if you can keep it.
« Reply #5 on: 10 Jun 2007, 06:59 pm »
Richard:
Again, you floor me with your prose.
Beautifully expressed and written.
Makes me wish I had the cash to 'see' it
for myself.
On as aside, your mention of how you
arrived on your view of public dancing is spot on.

nonoise

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #6 on: 11 Jun 2007, 01:34 am »
Hi Richard,

I want to thank you for taking the time to post your very thoughtful and detailed impressions of your Signature 70s now that you've owned them for a couple of months.  You've really "climbed up the RWA ladder" from Clari-T to Signature 30 to the Signature 70s, and I always appreciate all the time and thought you put into your posts about what you are hearing and your overall listening experience.  8)

Besides the other RWA gear, it is nice to see that both you and Deb have compared the 70s to other products that have such excellent reputations (Korneff's 45 is very well-regarded), and that you had the chance to add a tubed preamp in front of the 70s... which I am learning that others are doing and really loving the results (another example is the Eastern Electric pre that I keep hearing great things about!). 

I'm very glad that both you and Deb are enjoying the Signature 70s.  Thanks again for posting and for all your continued interest and support!  :thumb:

Best regards,

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #7 on: 11 Jun 2007, 01:43 am »
Hi Daygloworange,

Wow... thanks for posting your follow-up to Richard's post!  It was really great that Paul Candy was willing to bring over the Sig 70s that he was reviewing to the TAAS amp-comparo, and since you live so close, it was perfect timing to let you try 'em as well!  :wink: 

Best regards,

Vinnie

« Last Edit: 29 Jun 2007, 02:55 pm by Vinnie R. »