Rev it up

richidoo

Rev it up
« on: 2 May 2009, 02:55 pm »
OK Carolina Audiophiles, it's time to rev up this circle. We asked for it, now we got it. Carolinas are one of the most active audio regions in the country, as this circle was once one of the most active regional circles. Let's get yappin... :D

I'm a hands off moderator, I just yap about my own stuff, and keep the tone civil and by the AC rule book, but as southern ladies and gentlemen we won't have any problem. I live in Cary - the sprawlmonster.

So what's everyone up to? Trying new components in your system? Trying some acoustic treatments, or new music? Haven't listened in 6 months because of kidsmeetingsworktravelerrandsallkindsof otherbullshit? I know there are specific subject circles on AC, but we can talk about anything we want to here, anything related to Carolina audio activity or Carolina audiophiles, which means anything on your mind.

I'll start. I accepted Rick Craig's invitation to come hear his new speaker design called Mejor. It was quite an experience, so I wrote about it in the speaker review circle. I have never heard speakers sound so clear or detailed, while staying natural and musical. I walked out of there very inspired to improve my own system even more - with Rick's help! Of course he is as helpful and obliging in real life as on his AC circle. We have a great many audio masters like Rick living in Carolinas. Let's hear about them. Let's hear from them! This is the place.  If you are a pro, just say so in your signature line per AC rules - and Welcome!

When I was a kid playing music, I got the same kinda charge from hearing my mentors play live music. I wanted to practice harder than ever, and I felt that I could play much better the next day after a great concert. It is so important for a creative artist of any kind to be inspired by artists that are more experienced and more skillful.

Audiophiles are creative artists, we build a system like a sculpture. Adding here and there, taking away, standing back and listening for a while. The search for perfection never ends, but systems come and go as we learn.  Get out to your local dealers or manufacturers to hear what's new. You don't have to buy, just get stimulated! If they don't oblige, kick em to the curb - there is no shortage of shops and audio mentors in the Carolinas. Most audio sellers are audiophiles themselves who just want to have more audio hobby in their lives.

Or throw a get together (G2G) and meet some audiophiles in your neighborhood.  You wouldn't believe how many of us there are. It is very satisfying to host a meeting and get impressions from peers about how great your system sounds, and suggestions from the more experienced 'philes on how you can make improvements that you would never have thought of before. At my G2Gs people drive in from Winston Salem, Asheboro, Durham, Raleigh. There are a lot of very dedicated audiophiles, and lots of curious beginners here.

Get to know your local and internet sellers on a friendly basis. Being in the grapevine, you will learn so much about the hobby and what's hot and what's not in the biz, saving money and time. You can meet them at local gatherings, or call them up and invite yourself over for a factory tour, or take them out to lunch. Project the desire out there and the opportunities will pop up to express your love of the hobby.

OK, now it's your turn. Let's hear about you and your system. What's happening out there?
Rich

rahimlee54

Re: Rev it up
« Reply #1 on: 2 May 2009, 04:06 pm »
I was thinking the same thing, this circle is kinda dead.  I am currently working on finishing up my office plasma install, a little DIY action.  Today I am putting in an outlet and then it is up the the wife to pick out how and where she wants her dvd player and so on.  My Salk Sound HT2 TLs should be in sometime in the next 3 weeks, darn you AKfest, and that will be my first real step into "high end".  I know you said Rick's stuff was enjoyable so I need to head down that way and check it out, maybe Rick would be up to having a few of us come over at once so we could put some names with faces.  After my wallet recoups I plan on building a few DIY acoustic panels and a sub, so if anyone wants in on that, I'll be posting threads for each.  Was going to do the sub soon but the car needed a little TLC so that has been delayed slightly.

Jared

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 3 May 2009, 03:58 pm »
Is it ok to list a classified in the Carolina section?  I have a sub that I want to sell but I really don't want to ship it.  I'm in the Charlotte area...

Let me know if that's allowed.

Thanks-

ssglx

« Reply #3 on: 3 May 2009, 04:25 pm »
"So what's everyone up to? Trying new components in your system?"

I'm at the early stages of trying Maple platforms in my system. First under my Soliloquy floorstanders, then I may try under my electronics. I purchased 2" and 1" thick platforms from Timbernation. Chris Futrick is the owner and he really does great looking work at a good price. Very fast also.
I have been using 1/2" bamboo cutting boards under the speakers and really enjoying the music and the ability to easily slide and reposition the speakers on my carpet for toe-in/etc.
I then tried the 2" maple platforms and was impressed with the additional clarity, but I felt as though I was loosing a bit of bass and possibly they were a little too high in position.
I went back to the bamboo cutting boards for awhile and ordered the 1" maple platforms. Last night I put the speakers on the 1" maple platforms and starting my evaluation.  With only a couple CD's now under my belt my initial impression again is one of increased clarity and accuracy, but with that a little more high end emphasis and a touch of restricted dynamics.

This is really interesting stuff. I can see there will be some music that I will like better with the slight colorations and warmer presentation of the bamboo, and some I will like better with the clarity from the maple platforms.
My electronics in this system are solid state and rather midfi. I think its likely that higher end systems might prefer the accuracy of maple.

I'm curious if others share this experience under speakers, and what impact I can expect under my electronics (on mdf shelves currently).

Chris

rahimlee54

« Reply #4 on: 3 May 2009, 05:27 pm »
"So what's everyone up to? Trying new components in your system?"

I'm at the early stages of trying Maple platforms in my system. First under my Soliloquy floorstanders, then I may try under my electronics. I purchased 2" and 1" thick platforms from Timbernation. Chris Futrick is the owner and he really does great looking work at a good price. Very fast also.
I have been using 1/2" bamboo cutting boards under the speakers and really enjoying the music and the ability to easily slide and reposition the speakers on my carpet for toe-in/etc.
I then tried the 2" maple platforms and was impressed with the additional clarity, but I felt as though I was loosing a bit of bass and possibly they were a little too high in position.
I went back to the bamboo cutting boards for awhile and ordered the 1" maple platforms. Last night I put the speakers on the 1" maple platforms and starting my evaluation.  With only a couple CD's now under my belt my initial impression again is one of increased clarity and accuracy, but with that a little more high end emphasis and a touch of restricted dynamics.

This is really interesting stuff. I can see there will be some music that I will like better with the slight colorations and warmer presentation of the bamboo, and some I will like better with the clarity from the maple platforms.
My electronics in this system are solid state and rather midfi. I think its likely that higher end systems might prefer the accuracy of maple.

I'm curious if others share this experience under speakers, and what impact I can expect under my electronics (on mdf shelves currently).

Chris

A guy on the radio was trying to get rid of the rest of the soliloquy stock, he bought the stock when they went under, I am trying to find his info from the radio show.  If you are in need of some more soliloquy speakers and don't mind DIY, he has kits ready to assemble.  You think the increased performance is from getting the tweeter at ear level or was it already at that when you started?

Jared

ssglx

« Reply #5 on: 3 May 2009, 09:13 pm »
interesting on the guy buying the leftover Soliloquy parts stock. I've sort of started my own collection. Now running two systems with Soliloquy speakers, and I have a center channel in storage for spare drivers. I visited the factory a few times trying to dial in the first pair, 5.0's. I really love the speakers. If I had enough green, I'd make a complete collection.

I actually find I prefer to have my ears level with the midrange rather than the tweeter.  that's much more the "zone" for imaging.

Where is the guy located with the parts stock? I wouldn't mind getting a pair of the newer 5.0i cabinets.

Chris

richidoo

« Reply #6 on: 4 May 2009, 12:35 am »
Is it ok to list a classified in the Carolina section?  I have a sub that I want to sell but I really don't want to ship it.  I'm in the Charlotte area...

Let me know if that's allowed.

Thanks-

How bout posting it in the Trading Post Speaker Circle first, then post a link to it in a new thread here in Carolina Circle.  It's not perfect databasing, but we can use all the excitement we can get here..... hahaha  Then everyone on AC will see it too.

Rich

richidoo

« Reply #7 on: 4 May 2009, 01:03 am »
I've heard a lot about maple platforms, but never tried it yet.

I'm excited to try a new source, a PS Audio DAC3 with Cullen stage 4 mods. My friend (stereofool) has a stock DL3 for us to compare. I'm also getting a Cullen Sonos to compare with my stocker. Should be fun to see how good these highly touted upgrades are. Got some diy room treatments brewing too.

Jared, was the Soliloquy seller on WPTF Triangle trader show today?

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #8 on: 4 May 2009, 02:26 am »
Is there anyone knowledgable about turntables around.  I'm looking to dip my toes back into vinyl and found two direct drive tables in the closet when I moved.  One is a Technics 1200 and the other an Onkyo with direct cueing.  Both are a little comsmetically beat up but may still be in proper working order.  So before I buy another table  I need to figure out if they run well enough for use or not.

Thanks

rahimlee54

« Reply #9 on: 4 May 2009, 02:32 am »
I've heard a lot about maple platforms, but never tried it yet.

I'm excited to try a new source, a PS Audio DAC3 with Cullen stage 4 mods. My friend (stereofool) has a stock DL3 for us to compare. I'm also getting a Cullen Sonos to compare with my stocker. Should be fun to see how good these highly touted upgrades are. Got some diy room treatments brewing too.

Jared, was the Soliloquy seller on WPTF Triangle trader show today?

He may have been but I heard it Friday on the Alan Handelman show, I'd really like to give him a call and see what he has, and if he is interested in getting rid of a few kits.  I have emailed the show so hopefully I can put up some info later this week.  Maybe we can have a AC Soliloquy build party, I have never heard them as I was in school and didnt have time/budget for audio, but I wouldn't mind the experience and having another good speaker around.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #10 on: 4 May 2009, 02:54 am »
A little information on the Soliloquy drivers. I was offered a job by them a year or so before they shut down. The drivers they used were not that great; in fact, pretty cheap and you can do much better buying from Madisound or Parts Express. The tweeters I would avoid unless you can get one for a few dollars. The woofers are better but still in the $5-10 range - don't pay more than that.

ssglx

« Reply #11 on: 4 May 2009, 04:46 pm »
A Soliloquy build party would be pretty cool. I would certainly participate, though I don't solder.

As far as the Soliloquy drivers being cheap or poor quality, I'd heard that before.  I have lots of respect for speaker designers such as Rick, but I can tell you that with good setup the 5.0/5.3 series can sound absolutely wonderful. Transparent and clean, with very quick and clean bass and microdynamics (when decoupled from the room). Spooky imaging too. The monitors are excellent at lower volumes.

On a tight budget, I can't imagine much better.

bmr3hc

« Reply #12 on: 5 May 2009, 12:56 pm »
Rich
I have heard your speakers and very impressed with the sound (Ushers B-20 ) I have never heard better. So these must be some great sounding speakers compared to your Ushers. What is the price and what associated equipment was used?

Henry

richidoo

« Reply #13 on: 5 May 2009, 01:42 pm »
Hi Henry! Thanks for the compliment! http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=64601.0  Rick's strength is custom projects to fit your exact needs. You don't need 2 big subs, or the active crossover because you have a supermagic tube amp.

Rainy day. That means no yard work or baseball this afternoon, which means audio projects get some attention! Finishing up a PassDIY B1 preamp, and starting a pair of 4 channel chip amps for active amping my Ushers with DCX2496. Maybe even listening to music!  :o    :lol:

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #14 on: 8 May 2009, 04:32 am »
I'd love to go to a get-together of some kind, even though I've been living up here in the mountains of SW VA for the last couple years :) I try to make it back to NC (Hillsborough) every month or so.

As far as audio goes, I've had to sell a bunch of stuff...recently bought a new DAC, but it wasn't an upgrade, just something to get my setup working again.

djdube525

« Reply #15 on: 11 May 2009, 03:20 pm »
Definitely need a GTG at some point...

Work has been super busy the past month or two...
and as a result I keep missing out on swinging by Rick's place.

Currently, trying to simplify the 2ch setup. My source is strictly an SB3.
I do have an external DAC, but would like to see what I can do mod
wise on the analog portion of the SB3. The DAC chip has been upgraded...
just got some opamps in the mail... waiting on some replacement caps
to come in and then it's hack away time. :)

I also need to figure out what I want to do amplification wise.
I'd like to find an alternative to teh receiver I'm using... but it works
for now.

Too many variables at the moment (simplicity - integrated, vs
separates... remote control (wife friendly) or not... something reasonably
priced or wait/save up for something sweet. Decisions decisions...

Dave

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #16 on: 13 May 2009, 09:30 pm »
(simplicity - integrated, vs
separates...

Go separates...you know you want to...come to the dark side :D

richidoo

« Reply #17 on: 19 May 2009, 09:14 pm »
I wish someone made an all in one that was as good as separates. Disc, DAC, FM inside a high current integrated amp with a good feeling remote with 2 way metadata.  No more interconnects!  I can dream can't I?

I agree the G2Gs should resume. It's been a while since last AC G2G. We can try quarterly for starters?  I'll take the first one for 2nd quarter '09.

ACers are invited to G2G at my place on May 30, in Cary. 4pm until... 
PM for directions.

Any takers for Q3? Let's start a new thread for ongoing G2G planning.

djdube525

« Reply #18 on: 20 May 2009, 08:11 pm »
(simplicity - integrated, vs
separates...

Go separates...you know you want to...come to the dark side :D

My wants don't necessarily equal my resources.  :roll:

There's always DIY... which btw... richidoo... thought I read you had/have a grounded grid... at some point in the future... would love to get a chance to see/hear etc.

djdube525

« Reply #19 on: 20 May 2009, 08:12 pm »
ACers are invited to G2G at my place on May 30, in Cary. 4pm until... 

Dang it... I'll be at the OBX next week. Will unfortunately miss it.

Dave