Coffee grinders (burr) electric

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Coffee grinders (burr) electric
« Reply #40 on: 12 Dec 2021, 02:35 pm »
...the finer the coffee the better for any type of coffee, the medium grind is useless.

This is not my experience at all.  I'm not an expert, but I've been roasting and grinding my own beans for about a decade.  Different grinds for different brewing processes.  For example, a very fine grind would be a disaster for french press coffee. 

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #41 on: 12 Dec 2021, 05:08 pm »
Anybody have any experience with any of the Eureka Mignon grinders? Considering upgrading from my Baratza Encore to something like the Silenzio. Mainly for espresso for my Gaggia Classic Pro

Hi, Tommy!

I have no experience with this brand, but it seems to be a solid grinder with a lot of positive reviews. Link: https://www.wholelattelove.com/collections/espresso-grinders?_=pf&pf_v_brand=Eureka

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #42 on: 12 Dec 2021, 05:28 pm »
Hi, Tommy!

I have no experience with this brand, but it seems to be a solid grinder with a lot of positive reviews. Link: https://www.wholelattelove.com/collections/espresso-grinders?_=pf&pf_v_brand=Eureka

Hey, thanks Michael! Yeah it’s hard to find any notable negative reviews about the Mignon grinders and they’ve been out for a little while so the track record seems good. I’ve gone back and forth on which one to get and the Silenzio and the Facile seem like great grinders for the money which is about what I spent on the Gaggia. Spending more would have me contemplating upgrading the Gaggia and I really can’t do that right now. Would love to have a dual broiler with flow control but that gets pricey, of course I’ve spent more on speakers but a guy has to have limits!  :lol:

mick wolfe

« Reply #43 on: 12 Dec 2021, 05:49 pm »
This is not my experience at all.  I'm not an expert, but I've been roasting and grinding my own beans for about a decade.  Different grinds for different brewing processes.  For example, a very fine grind would be a disaster for french press coffee.

Same here, been roasting/grinding (Baratza Encore) for over a decade. Yes, fine grind thru a French press would end up pretty grainy. Turkish coffee anyone? That said, I've experimented with various grinds with pour overs, drip, Aeropress, etc. and feel it's simply a case of each to his or her own. However and in regard to fine grinds, too fine a grind with a moka pot was a complete disaster for me. Despite what one has read, grind a shade coarser than expresso for the moka.

WGH

« Reply #44 on: 12 Dec 2021, 06:59 pm »
The Eureka Mignon Silenzio looks like a nice upgrade to the Baratza Encore. Keep us updated.

My Baratza Virtuoso+ and Gaggia Classic Pro are finally playing nice together, at first the Virtuoso seemed to have issues grinding fine enough but now the burrs have worn-in and I get a consistent fine, clump free grind for both espresso and a coarser grind for the Kalita Wave pour over.

The Virtuoso+ grind setting is at the first mark (#2). 18g of beans yields 36g espresso in 25 seconds. I did the Gaggia Classic Shades of Coffee 9 bar spring mod to lower the pressure from the original 14 bar. A bottomless portafilter allows room for a scale and an 8oz Acme Evo latte cup.

twitch54

« Reply #45 on: 12 Dec 2021, 09:07 pm »

agreed, as it would for 'perc' coffee

Ice10

• Enjoy every sandwich
« Reply #46 on: 12 Dec 2021, 09:41 pm »
Hey, thanks Michael! Yeah it’s hard to find any notable negative reviews about the Mignon grinders and they’ve been out for a little while so the track record seems good. I’ve gone back and forth on which one to get and the Silenzio and the Facile seem like great grinders for the money which is about what I spent on the Gaggia. Spending more would have me contemplating upgrading the Gaggia and I really can’t do that right now. Would love to have a dual broiler with flow control but that gets pricey, of course I’ve spent more on speakers but a guy has to have limits!  :lol:

I have been using a Silenzio for about the 18 months and I love it.  I find it quiet (important as I grind my coffee while others are sleeping), precise, and best off, it holds its settings. I highly recommend the brand/model.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #47 on: 12 Dec 2021, 09:56 pm »
I have been using a Silenzio for about the 18 months and I love it.  I find it quiet (important as I grind my coffee while others are sleeping), precise, and best off, it holds its settings. I highly recommend the brand/model.

Ah good to hear! I went ahead and placed an order for a white one for $480. The Facile seems to be exactly the same except for the timer option but the looks of the Silenzio won me over.

I saw where the new Mignon Single Dose is coming soon, price around $800 I believe?, and Eureka said the single dose hopper with bellows will be an option or add on  for other Mignon grinders. I pretty much single dose so that might be something I consider.

Ice10

• Enjoy every sandwich
« Reply #48 on: 12 Dec 2021, 10:29 pm »
Ah good to hear! I went ahead and placed an order for a white one for $480. The Facile seems to be exactly the same except for the timer option but the looks of the Silenzio won me over.

I think that you’ll be happy with your decision, I haven’t regretted my purchase.  Every few months I’ll measure a dose and I find that they are very consistent.  I noticed that when I grind oilier beans I do have to give a gentle tap with my index finger to the discharge chute but that doesn’t cause me any grief, in fact I make it part of my routine with most grinds just to ensure the chute is clear.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #49 on: 12 Dec 2021, 11:20 pm »
Iam a new user only 2 years on coffee, I noticed that the finer the coffee the more flavor it has, so need fewer beans.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #50 on: 12 Dec 2021, 11:37 pm »
Seems like the Eureka Mignon is a good middle ground between an affordable conical and a big flat burr grinder. It should bring out distinct flavors that a cheaper conical tends to homogenize.

I recently got a Mahlkonig EK43S w/SSP espresso burrs, Titus carrier, and a precision burr alignment, found it slightly used for too good a deal to pass up. If you're really into espresso using a variety of beans and roasts, a big flat burr grinder is well worth it as they really bring out the nuances and maximize extractions. The lack of fines makes it possible to do extractions that would otherwise turn bitter. However if you're into traditional espresso blends a big conical espresso-specific grinder has it's advantages...

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #51 on: 12 Dec 2021, 11:49 pm »
Seems like the Eureka Mignon is a good middle ground between an affordable conical and a big flat burr grinder. It should bring out distinct flavors that a cheaper conical tends to homogenize.

I recently got a Mahlkonig EK43S w/SSP espresso burrs, Titus carrier, and a precision burr alignment, found it slightly used for too good a deal to pass up. If you're really into espresso using a variety of beans and roasts, a big flat burr grinder is well worth it as they really bring out the nuances and maximize extractions. The lack of fines makes it possible to do extractions that would otherwise turn bitter. However if you're into traditional espresso blends a big conical espresso-specific grinder has it's advantages...

Wow, congrats on the Mahikonig Dave!

I toiled with ordering a Turin DF64 with the big 64mm flat burrs. They have SSP burrs to upgrade to as well but reviews were hit and miss and the Mignon series seemed to strike a nice balance of dependability and user satisfaction. It is interesting how some people prefer the taste of a flat burr vs conical. The 50mm flat burrs on the Silenzio should be an upgrade over the conical of the Encore I have so I’m hoping for good things to come.

sa1126

« Reply #52 on: 13 Dec 2021, 12:17 pm »
Another Gaggia MDF user.  Works great for espresso.  Only complaint is it is loud (like all grinders) and my kids yell at me when I use it  :lol:

mav52

« Reply #53 on: 24 Sep 2023, 12:53 pm »
Baratza "Encore", been working like a charm for years.

newzooreview

« Reply #54 on: 24 Sep 2023, 02:50 pm »
Iam a new user only 2 years on coffee, I noticed that the finer the coffee the more flavor it has, so need fewer beans.

Grind size needs to be adjusted to match the brewing method. As with most things, there is no "one size fits all."

James Hoffman has an excellent set of videos where he experiments, takes measurements, and discusses optimal approaches:
https://www.youtube.com/@jameshoffmann/search?query=grind

The biggest factor, I think, is how attuned each person is to the variations that can be produced by changing the variables in coffee brewing. It is exactly like audio equipment: what you are listening for, how trained your ear is, and what you like will all determine which aspects of the brewing process matter to you.

In a pinch I have taken espresso grind coffee and put it in near boiling water in a French Press when improvising something in a hotel room. It definitely had a lot of flavor. Taco Bell also has a lot of flavor, and it is cheap as well. Just like audio, there's the cheap and cheerful audience.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #55 on: 24 Sep 2023, 03:25 pm »
My Christmas list this year will have a new coffee grinder. At home, I'm a French press kind of guy because it's cheap and simple, so finding a nice burr grinder will make me very happy. I'm done with my cheap crappy bladed grinder that chops beans to dust while also leaving whole beans in the same shot. I'll be combing through this thread for sure.  :thumb:

mick wolfe

« Reply #56 on: 24 Sep 2023, 04:31 pm »
After years of faithful service, my Baratza Encore has passed on. ( actually just needs a new motor) I replaced it with a Baratza Virtuoso+.  I think it's a cut above the Encore in refinement. FWIW, you'll find you can spend a LOT more on a high end burr grinder, but this was the logical ($) stopping point for me. In summary, if the Virtuoso+ seems a bit steep in price, the Encore will serve you well.

WGH

« Reply #57 on: 24 Sep 2023, 05:46 pm »
I replaced it with a Baratza Virtuoso+.  I think it's a cut above the Encore in refinement.

:thumb:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #58 on: 24 Sep 2023, 07:39 pm »
I use the older KitchenAid burr grinder the "Contour" model which I guess they don't make anymore.  The thing is a freaking beast:

https://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-KCG0702CS-Coffee-Grinder-Contour/dp/B00XPRQW2A?th=1

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #59 on: 24 Sep 2023, 08:09 pm »
My friend has that Kitchen Aid... much quieter than my Gaggia, and probably just as well built.  It does occupy quite a bit of cabinet space.