Amp ideas to replace my Iotavx SA3 for my X-SLS?

pierre.ch@outlook.com

Amp ideas to replace my Iotavx SA3 for my X-SLS?
« on: 1 Jul 2022, 05:38 pm »
Hi everybody, I am looking to replace my amp to remove the veil on the midrange and improve sound quality in general. My budget is somehow limited 500-1000$ ish. I listen to low volumes, i get ear fatigue easily, i live in appartement. I am looking for something that will be satisfying for some years.

Actual sysyem:X-SLS encores full upgrades, Iotavx SA3, Chord mojo2 dac, home made power cord and speaker cables with 24 wires braided from alibaba( which both improved the sound).

I was thinking to built a modulus-86 or akatika gt 102. Should i consider a 1et400 based amp? buy a sprout 100?

I have made some search, but there is a lot of treads and I

need feedback from you guys!

Many thanks for your help.

mkrawcz

Re: Amp ideas to replace my Iotavx SA3 for my X-SLS?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jul 2022, 05:58 pm »
Both the Neurochrome and the Akitika are awesome amps. The Neurochrome is balanced, has a slightly better soundstage, detail, and is more neutral. The Akitika comes across as more tube like. Slight warmth with nice dynamic punch. A very musical amp. I don't think you would find either fatiguing. They are devoid of any distortion that would cause fatigue. You can listen all day. I would say overall the Mod-86 is the better amp especially with Burison vivid opamps as an input buffer.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 1 Jul 2022, 06:01 pm »
If you live in the U.S. and can take advantage of PS Audio's trade in program consider the Stellar Gain Cell DAC. You'd still have to stretch your budget a little though.  https://www.psaudio.com/products/gaincell-dac/

Within your budget from PS Audio is their Sprout 100.  https://www.psaudio.com/products/sprout100-integrated-amplifier/

Also check out the offerings from Schiit Audio  https://www.schiit.com/products  They have multiple options at different price points depending on your needs.

Mike

Nsm1979

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jul 2022, 07:28 pm »
I think you should consider the Van Alstine SET 120.  Preowned it can be found for $750, or new it would be at the top of your budget.

BGA

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jul 2022, 08:35 pm »
Hi Pierre,

I used a Modulus-86 on my pair of X-SLS and it sounded really good no fatigue at all it is a very smooth neutral sounding amp. I moved over to a small EL34 amp and am building a pair of 300B mono blocks now that I moved to the NX-Otica's.

If you don't feel like building one message me we may be able to working something out for my Modulus-86 I rarely use it and would rather see it go to someone who would.

Al

RonP

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jul 2022, 09:43 pm »
Consider some room treatment.

That TV is a giant reflective surface as is that window.

Another thing to consider is clean power or even just better power cables.

You'd be surprised how much it can help.

pierre.ch@outlook.com

« Reply #6 on: 1 Jul 2022, 10:06 pm »
If you live in the U.S. and can take advantage of PS Audio's trade in program consider the Stellar Gain Cell DAC. You'd still have to stretch your budget a little though.  https://www.psaudio.com/products/gaincell-dac/

Mike, the  Stellar Gain cell dac is a preamp/dac only right? What amp should I use with? Mod-86, Akatika, PS-Audio xx?

Thanks

Pierre

pierre.ch@outlook.com

« Reply #7 on: 1 Jul 2022, 10:51 pm »
Consider some room treatment.

That TV is a giant reflective surface as is that window.

Another thing to consider is clean power or even just better power cables.

You'd be surprised how much it can help.

Hi Ron, I will look into that, I just put a sofa cushion on the wall and heard a difference immediately. Samething with the power cord, I made one similar to Danny’s ones, and it did improved the sound, should I add special outlet or power bar? 

Thanks

Pierre

pierre.ch@outlook.com

« Reply #8 on: 1 Jul 2022, 10:59 pm »
I think you should consider the Van Alstine SET 120.  Preowned it can be found for $750, or new it would be at the top of your budget.

Thanks Nsm1979, It looks like a good amp. Will consider it.

Thanks.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 1 Jul 2022, 11:47 pm »
Mike, the  Stellar Gain cell dac is a preamp/dac only right? What amp should I use with? Mod-86, Akatika, PS-Audio xx?

Thanks

Pierre

Pierre,

Yeah, I forgot about it not being an integrated amp. Crazy since I have one.

The Gain Cell DAC has both single ended (RCA) and balanced (XLR) outputs. In the PS Audio Stellar line they have the S300 stereo power amp and two models of monoblocks, M700s and M1200s. I've used the Gain Cell DAC with all three as well as a PrimaLuna Prologue 4 tube amp. However, you can use it with any power amp you wish.

Mike

RonP

« Reply #10 on: 2 Jul 2022, 01:11 pm »
should I add special outlet or power bar? 

Thanks

Pierre

Hi Pierre,

I would say 'eventually'. I can't recommend a brand. The ones I bought are no longer being made.

Ron

JCarney

« Reply #11 on: 2 Jul 2022, 01:26 pm »
Hi Pierre,
If you are interested in a PS Audio S300, there is one here on ac for sale.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=182425.msg1915927#new
Nsm recommended the AVA Control 120, that is an excellent recommendation as AVA makes very good gear at prices that don't put you in a cold sweat. I owned an AVA pre I'd still own if I had not gotten away from pre amps all together.

Good luck with your search,
JCarney

charmerci

« Reply #12 on: 2 Jul 2022, 02:32 pm »

It runs in class A at low power too. 5 or 10 watts, I forgot but nonetheless, that's still very loud.