They're here!

chrisw

• Avid hiker
Re: They're here!
« Reply #20 on: 18 Feb 2011, 03:53 am »
Yes, Jim is using the 20XR OEM version, which can be crossed about 1000 Hz lower than the non-OEM 10mm version, and it doesn't need those klunky vertical diffusor pads that just get eaten by Golden Retrievers anyhow.  Plus, Jim is springing for the more expensive amorphous core version of the 20XR. 
It sounds like Ben has eaten more than just your digital camera! :duh:

Thanks for saving me the trouble of opening up the speaker... I'm terrible about buyer's remorse :oops: but the more I learn about the Salk lineup, the more I come to appreciate the value these speakers truly represent. I chuckle when I read the post that says "remember when Jim used to answer the phone.." because I know that day will soon be here as more folks discover the Salk lineup.

Unfortunately the glass table stays (oh to have my own listening room!).  Placing items on the table does help.

Saturn, how's your break-in period coming along? I was just checking out your pics and was curious if you'd considered a single programmable remote like a Logitech Harmony or URC?

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #21 on: 18 Feb 2011, 04:17 am »

The camera was a mere appetizer, and the diffuser pad an afterthought.  But I have replaced my camera and hope to snap a few pics of the horror this weekend, assuming I can get all of him into the frame. 

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #22 on: 18 Feb 2011, 07:02 am »
Maybe some wire mesh enclosures for your speakers?  :scratch:

The camera was a mere appetizer, and the diffuser pad an afterthought.  But I have replaced my camera and hope to snap a few pics of the horror this weekend, assuming I can get all of him into the frame.

Saturn94

« Reply #23 on: 18 Feb 2011, 07:38 pm »
Congratulations, Saturn.. I bet you're thrilled to have them finally after the extended wait for the RAAL tweeters. I've had my HT2-TL system for about two weeks now and I couldn't be more thrilled!

For the first time last night, I played some old bass sampler CDs while trying to chase down any potential rattles in the room, and I was utterly astounded by the amount of bass these were producing! I haven't played those types of CDs since high school and I had almost decided the music just wasn't classy enough to give them a play on the HT2-TLs, but I gave it a try anyway and I'm glad I did.  :green:

On a side note, has anyone confirmed whether the tweeters in the HT2-TLs are the RAAL 70-20XR tweeters? I've been tempted to open them to take a peek, but I figured it would be easier to just ask.

Actually they weren't delayed by too long.  When I placed my order I was given an initial estimate of 45 days and it ended up being about 60 days.

Saturn94

« Reply #24 on: 18 Feb 2011, 08:08 pm »

Thanks for saving me the trouble of opening up the speaker... I'm terrible about buyer's remorse :oops: but the more I learn about the Salk lineup, the more I come to appreciate the value these speakers truly represent. I chuckle when I read the post that says "remember when Jim used to answer the phone.." because I know that day will soon be here as more folks discover the Salk lineup.

Saturn, how's your break-in period coming along? I was just checking out your pics and was curious if you'd considered a single programmable remote like a Logitech Harmony or URC?

I don't know about breaking in the speakers, but the break in of my ears/mind is going well so far (I'll explain when I post my impressions at a later date). :lol:

I've thought about a programmable remote, but then I'd have to learn how to use a new remote.  Set in my ways I guess. :lol:  The remote that came with my Anthem AVM 20 is a learing remote and I've "taught" it commands from my other remotes, but guess what, I still just grab for the remote that came with the piece of equipment I'm using at the time. :oops:

Actually, I do fine with the multiple remotes and it keeps (or intimidates!) "unauthorized persons" from messing with my system. :green:  Also, I'm so cheap I keep thinking the money I would spend on a new remote could be better spent on new music or movies. :thumb:

Who ever said audio/video hobbiest were logical?

mark funk

« Reply #25 on: 18 Feb 2011, 10:07 pm »
Those are cherry, right? I really like the gran on those! :thumb:

:smoke:

Saturn94

« Reply #26 on: 18 Feb 2011, 10:36 pm »
Those are cherry, right? I really like the gran on those! :thumb:

:smoke:

Yep, just the plain ol' standard natural curly cherry.

billmcc

« Reply #27 on: 18 Feb 2011, 11:23 pm »
I'm so cheap I keep thinking the money I would spend on a new remote could be better spent on new music or movies. :thumb:

Saturn,

I would not consider anyone cheap that spends the money (very well spent) for a pair HT2-TLs :D. I can not recommend the Harmony remote enough as it has made operating my multi component system with numerous inputs a breeze to operate. The Harmony does have a learning curve but once you get the hang of the program it is quite easy to setup.

Bill

Nuance

« Reply #28 on: 19 Feb 2011, 12:38 am »
Saturn,

I would not consider anyone cheap that spends the money (very well spent) for a pair HT2-TLs :D. I can not recommend the Harmony remote enough as it has made operating my multi component system with numerous inputs a breeze to operate. The Harmony does have a learning curve but once you get the hang of the program it is quite easy to setup.

Bill

+1.  Even my wife can use our Harmony One.

Hurry up with the impressions already, Saturn! :)  Just kidding buddy; enjoy and take your time.

Saturn94

« Reply #29 on: 19 Feb 2011, 01:57 am »
Saturn,

Bill

How about frugal?  Yeah, that sounds better. :thumb:

Hmmm....maybe I'll put that on my birthday or Christmas list. :wink:

+1.  Even my wife can use our Harmony One.

Hurry up with the impressions already, Saturn! :)  Just kidding buddy; enjoy and take your time.

Hmmm.....not sure I want just anyone to be able to use my system.  Perhaps they let you set a PIN to access it? :green:

Hehehe....... it's going to take me some time to post my impressions.  I've not had much time the past few days to listen.  Also, keep in mind I've been listening to the same speakers for 24 1/2 years, so it's taking some time to "recalibrate" my ears and adjust to the different sound of the Salks.  Both my HT2-TL's and my ADS L1290/2's are excellent speakers, but they do sound different.

How about my impressions of cosmetics for now? Ok, here goes.

First, so you'll know what I'm comparing the HT2-TL to, here's a couple pictures of my ADS L1290/2

The HT2-TL definately has a higher quality appearance and finish.  While the ADS look like nice speakers, the HT2-TL look more like high quality furniture.  I really like the way the HT2-TL appears to "float" just above the plinth and the bullet shape spikes look like high quality "feet".  Also, the black plinth and baffles tie in nicely with my TV and equipment rack.

The grain of the curly cherry is a little more prominate and the color slightly darker than I expected , but variations in grain and tone are expected when using a natural product.  Also, pictures on a website just can't give you an absolutely accurate representation of what a speaker will look like in person.  That said, I'm happy with my choice of veneer/finish.  Simply put, Salk knows how to make beautiful speakers.

The HT2-TL is a little narrower than the ADS, but a bit taller, which seems to make them more prominate in the room (good thing they look so great!).  There is one think I like a little better about the ADS's cabinet; the front/side edges are beveled which tends to soften the edges a little.

So there you go. My first impressions.  I promise listening impressions are coming.

billmcc

« Reply #30 on: 19 Feb 2011, 02:35 am »
How about frugal?  Yeah, that sounds better. :thumb:

That will work but still no frugal people I know have HT2-TLs at home :D.

Hmmm....maybe I'll put that on my birthday or Christmas list. :wink:
Hmmm.....not sure I want just anyone to be able to use my system.  Perhaps they let you set a PIN to access it? :green:

It will be a great gift to give to yourself. You can always hide the remote or take it with you when at work or away from home :).

ADS L1290/2's are excellent speakers, but they do sound different.

I have fond memories of ADS gear :). I used to buy quite a bit of their auto gear in the '80s and I used to pick it up at their HQ in Wilmington, MA.

Bill

Saturn94

« Reply #31 on: 19 Feb 2011, 03:15 am »
That will work but still no frugal people I know have HT2-TLs at home :D.

How about just plain crazy :wink:....."Dang, he'll spend $$$$ on speakers but won't buy a decent remote!" :lol: :lol:

It will be a great gift to give to yourself. You can always hide the remote or take it with you when at work or away from home :).

No, the HT2-TLs were a great gift to myself. :thumb:

Jokes aside, I'm just not that motivated to buy a remote at this time, but I appreciate the recommendation. :)

I have fond memories of ADS gear :). I used to buy quite a bit of their auto gear in the '80s and I used to pick it up at their HQ in Wilmington, MA.

Bill

ADS made some great products in it's heyday.  I must admit I was a bit sad taking my L1290/2's out of the system.

chrisw

• Avid hiker
« Reply #32 on: 19 Feb 2011, 04:39 am »
How about just plain crazy :wink:....."Dang, he'll spend $$$$ on speakers but won't buy a decent remote!" :lol: :lol:

+1 for just plain crazy, but ain't it fun? :thumb:

I don't know about breaking in the speakers, but the break in of my ears/mind is going well so far (I'll explain when I post my impressions at a later date). :lol:

I hope you have a SPL meter, otherwise your ears might break in before the speakers do. :lol: I went out and picked one up and I'm glad I did. With the HT2-TLs, you don't get any distortion cues and it's so easy to listen at borderline unsafe levels without even realizing it.

Saturn94

« Reply #33 on: 19 Feb 2011, 02:40 pm »

I hope you have a SPL meter, otherwise your ears might break in before the speakers do. :lol: I went out and picked one up and I'm glad I did. With the HT2-TLs, you don't get any distortion cues and it's so easy to listen at borderline unsafe levels without even realizing it.

I do have an SPL meter which I consider a must have tool, especially if using a sub and/or doing multichannel.

You make a good point.  I think I'll check out at what levels I'm listening.

Nuance

« Reply #34 on: 19 Feb 2011, 02:58 pm »

Smart man!

Saturn94

« Reply #35 on: 28 Feb 2011, 04:07 pm »
I know some of you have been waiting for my impressions/review of my HT2-TLs I received Feb 15th (or perhaps you've got tired of waiting and said forget it! :lol:) but it looks like it's going to be a bit longer than I thought for a couple reasons.  For one, I've not had much time to sit and listen these past couple weeks.  And second (and more importantly) this past friday my amp started malfunctioning. :cry:  Since I don't have another amp, my system will be silent until I can get it repaired.  Fortunately it's still under warranty.  Hopefully I'll find out today how long my system will be out of commission.

In the past 30+ years that I've had a decent music system, I've never had it out of commission like this.  I've really been having withdrawals these past few days!

Oh well, at least the HT2-TLs are nice to look at. :thumb:

Nuance

« Reply #36 on: 28 Feb 2011, 06:35 pm »
I am sorry to hear that, Saturn.  I hope the amp returns promptly and in prime condition.

Saturn94

« Reply #37 on: 1 Mar 2011, 10:19 pm »
My Parasound dealer contacted me yesterday and said they could take care of shipping my amp to Parasound and would give me a loaner.  However, they are mainly a custom installer so they don't have much equipment on hand, so he was only able to offer a 2 channel Parasound 2125 to me.

So I made the trip yesterday (3 hours round trip) to drop of my amp and pick up the loaner.  At least this way I'll at least have a 2 channel system operable while I'm waiting to get my amp back (est. 2-3 weeks).

At least for 2 channel listening, I'm back in business. :thumb:

I hope to have my HT2-TL "report" ready by the first of next week.  I think if I were still in school I'd probably get an "F" on it for being so late. :lol:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #38 on: 1 Mar 2011, 11:33 pm »

I hope to have my HT2-TL "report" ready by the first of next week.  I think if I were still in school I'd probably get an "F" on it for being so late. :lol:

Patience, our young patawan!

Saturn94

« Reply #39 on: 2 Mar 2011, 01:36 am »
Patience, our young patawan!

I love the "young" part!  You can call me that anytime! :green: