BDA-3 DAC

RobL

Re: BDA-3 DAC
« Reply #1280 on: 16 Jun 2020, 10:26 pm »
Ok so I just loaded the latest firmware update to my BDA-3 per the prompt I received when I checked the web page (I check every once and a while for firmware updates). Pulling down the bin file as directed, then loading it to the DAC. The DAC will play, but now I seem to have lost the web page, the virtual front panel, the lot. Not happy about that. On my BDP-3 web page the BDA-3 will show as detected, but clicking on it gets me an irritating 404 error and yet another MPFS Upload prompt (which I've already done). I want my BDA-3 virtual front panel back. I would even revert to the previous firmware if that's what it takes to recover that feature. Anyone know why this is happening or how to correct it?

I was able to get the virtual front panel back (web access) by turning the DAC off then unplugging it for 10 seconds. However it still says I’m at the previous release (not the latest).

GSchrader

« Reply #1281 on: 16 Jun 2020, 10:36 pm »
It's been two weeks since I reported this problematic firmware to Bryston.  With all the other reports of the loss of the network interface on this forum, it boggles my mind that Bryston has not at least removed the defective firmware from their download page while they work on a solution.  Actually I'm just assuming they're working on a solution - I still have not received a response to my request for an update from Mike Pickett.

For everyone that has loaded this firmware and has lost their network interface, you can e-mail Mike Pickett at Bryston and request that he send you a copy of the previous firmware.  That will at least get your network interface back.

For James Tanner: is there anything you can do to expedite the release of a correctly functioning firmware file?

Gerald

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1282 on: 17 Jun 2020, 12:38 am »
It's been two weeks since I reported this problematic firmware to Bryston.  With all the other reports of the loss of the network interface on this forum, it boggles my mind that Bryston has not at least removed the defective firmware from their download page while they work on a solution.  Actually I'm just assuming they're working on a solution - I still have not received a response to my request for an update from Mike Pickett.

For everyone that has loaded this firmware and has lost their network interface, you can e-mail Mike Pickett at Bryston and request that he send you a copy of the previous firmware.  That will at least get your network interface back.

For James Tanner: is there anything you can do to expedite the release of a correctly functioning firmware file?

Gerald

Hi Gerald,

Sorry about this I am calling into Bryston tomorrow to sort this out.

james

owlsalum1

« Reply #1283 on: 17 Jun 2020, 01:42 am »
I was able to get the virtual front panel back (web access) by turning the DAC off then unplugging it for 10 seconds. However it still says I’m at the previous release (not the latest).

I gave RobL's suggestion a try. Turned off the DAC and unplugged it. Waited around 10 minutes (no particular reason for that duration). Plugged in and turned the DAC on.
No go. Same problem. Frustrating. I'm waiting on Bryston to do the right thing. Get rid of the faulty build in the download folder and replace it with the previous known good build. Were I in charge that could be done in 5 minutes. Really leads me to wonder whether I want to think about any other SW based products from Bryston in the future. I'm an engineer by trade, btw, so this whole thing mystifies me.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1284 on: 17 Jun 2020, 08:50 pm »
Hi Folks,

The latest software is on the website now.

james

GSchrader

« Reply #1285 on: 17 Jun 2020, 09:50 pm »
I was able to update my BDA-3 with the firmwares (yes plural) released today.  Make sure you read the file "RecoverGUI.txt" before proceeding.  The files you need to use depends on how old your BDA-3 is (Bryston: it would have been good to provide a range of serial numbers to avoid any possible confusion).  I had an older unit, so in my case I first flashed the "BDA3_2020_04A_OldMB.bin" file, and after that had finished, I flashed the "BDA3_2020_06C_OldMB.bin" file.  My BDA-3 now reports the latest firmware version, and also displays the new volume control option.

James Tanner: If you played a part in getting this released, thank you very much for getting this expedited.

Gerald

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1286 on: 17 Jun 2020, 09:59 pm »
Hi Gerald

Yes I played a part with your help.

james

GSchrader

« Reply #1287 on: 18 Jun 2020, 06:20 pm »
James, the instructions for the new firmware leave room for confusion.  The text file "RecoverGUI.txt" says:

"Note: firmware revisions destimed for the BDA3 with the older mainboard
(pre 2020, NOT PI-capable) need firmware  with revision number that ends
with a capital letter. BDA3.14 and BDA3 sold in 2020 equipped with new
mainboards required firmware ending with a lower-case letter."

However, the firmware files available for download don't include any with a lower-case letter!  The files are BDA3.bin, BDA3_2020_04A_OldMB.bin, and BDA3_2020_06C_OldMB.bin.  I would guess that maybe the BDA3.bin is the file for the new mainboards, but really you should edit the text file to make this clear.

In addition, the text file instructs you to put the BDA-3 in standby mode before flashing: I was able to do this with mine and still flash it, however another BDA-3 user that I know reports that he was unable to flash his while it was in standby mode.

Gerald

GSchrader

« Reply #1288 on: 18 Jun 2020, 06:29 pm »
James, another note about the new firmware: when selecting Help from the Menu options, you get the screen below.  It appears as if it's incomplete, as there are placeholders for images that don't load:

Gerald

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1289 on: 18 Jun 2020, 08:20 pm »
OK thanks

Will past them on to the software guys.

james

Pundamilia

« Reply #1290 on: 18 Jun 2020, 09:23 pm »
@GSchrader

Thanks for your instructions. I followed them and was able to upgrade without a problem. If it hadn't been for your note, I wouldn't have thought to read the RecoverGUI.txt file, but would have just barged ahead and tried to download and install the latest dated firmware.

RobL

« Reply #1291 on: 18 Jun 2020, 09:25 pm »
The recovergui.txt is pretty convoluted and riddled with grammar and spelling issues. Lots of room for interpretation and mistakes. I’m a little surprised and disheartened. In addition, 10 days since I wrote to  Bryston’s online Support Contact Us with no response.  :nono:

marcosax

« Reply #1292 on: 19 Jun 2020, 03:00 am »
Hi, I am here turning to James Tanner my email I just sent to Mike, as the autoresponder says he's out of the office and the alternative address given is bouncing emails back due to spam issues.

Just to let you know of my experience, hoping to come to a possible solution:

Dear Mike,
I followed closely the latest firmware update process and release, with the web interface disappearance Gerald experienced and all.
I’ve been exchanging with him messages extensively on the subject in the past days.

I bought my BDA-3 brand new a month ago (May 2020), but the unit still had firmware version 2016.05a.
So it would have been better if Bryston would specify in the firmware update instructions a manuf. date (mine is 2018), instead of a sold date (2020) in order to choose which firmware to flash (ending in capital or lower case letter).

My unit was performing great, all inputs were similar in level, making for a very pleasing user experience.
I remind you I am running ROON ROCK on a fanless NUC i7, USB connected to BDA-3, then Bryston BP20 as preamp, then poweramp.

The only problem, as in my past emails I pointed out and which set me on the road of firmware update, hoping for a solution, was that wanting to stream  DSD from ROCK and having BDA-3 set to Device Volume will work only if Volume is set to 100.
Any less than 100, and you’ll be hit by a LOUD white noise (if BDA is set to Native DSD in Roon’s Device Setup) or a very high-frequency hiss (if BDA is set to DoP) from speakers.
As you can imagine, this prevents to play a selection of PCM music (where volume usually is never at 100)  mixed with tracks in DSD (where vol needs to be set at 100), without having to change settings in the middle of playing. In any case, a very bad user experience even when playing DSD only or an entire album in DSD, as any casual and unwanted touch to the volume bar (particularly on a touch screen iPad or similar) would cause a blast of noise from the speakers, with the risk of damaging them.

So, when yesterday they came out, I finally managed to two-step update to the latest 2020_06C.
But I’m having a series of issues since.  I’ll try to list them here.

- I never managed to reach my BDA-3 via LAN when it’s in Standby mode, contrarily to what is in the instructions. I tried all I could think of: different browsers in my main computer, iMac 27" running Catalina, but also a PC running Windows 7. I can only reach my unit only when it’s ON. I don’t know if this is a problem, even for a fully successful update or not

- SPDIF  level (I have a CD Player attached there) is way too high compared to what it used to be with the previous firmware. I need to keep the Volume knob of BP20 preamp at 8-9 hrs for an already high listening volume.
I hoped the volume bar on the web page could be set for each input and tried to adjust it there, but it’s not the case, as it affects all inputs and doesn’t allow for individual levels for each input.
Furthermore, the volume set in the web interface is overrun by pressing UPSAMPLE, which returns the volume to 100, again blasting (this time music) from the speakers.

- if I play a CD (44,1 KHz) from SPDIF, and press UPSAMPLE button, at the first press the LED lights up in RED with no sound; at the second press, yellow LED lights and sound. The manual speaks of green and amber LED.

- Quirk behavior of input selection buttons: at times (particularly with the unit just turned on) with USB is selected, and I press SPDIF, no sound gets out, although LEDs of sample rate and LOCK are lit, showing a signal is present. I manage to get sound from SPDIF  ONLY if I press any of the HDMI first (which I don’t have anything attached to).

- With this new firmware, switching ON the unit, and changing inputs, now makes a POP sound from speakers, wherewith the previous firmware the unit was dead silent.
NOT at changing from PCM to DSD or in between sample rates, as I read was the case with some firmware releases,  only when switching inputs.

Basically the whole operation and user experience are not as smooth and solid as I would expect from a machine like the BDA-3.

So, I am now undecided on the route to take and I need  BRYSTON's opinion on this: 
- going forward by staying with this updated firmware, trying to fix the odd behaviors and waiting for a future one if needed,
or
- revert back to my previous release, 2016.05a , which didn’t present any of the above issues? If this is possible and this up and down-grading is safe to do, and the unit can always be restored to a working state in case it gets stuck. I really don’t want to brick it!

One last thing: if DSD definitely cannot have adjustable volume because of the nature of the format and  (like I’m starting to believe) there’s no workaround possible within the BDA-3, I think the choice in ROON's Device Setup for the BDA-3 to have Device Volume as a selectable option when choosing Native DSD should be greyed out or prevented to be used.
What do you think?

Looking forward to your reply

thanks

Marco

stanb

« Reply #1293 on: 19 Jun 2020, 02:59 pm »
Mike Pickett is off work at the moment, meantime I will try to help.

1) Ethernet disabled in standby:
You can also upload and upgrade the firmware in Power on state so it doesn't have to be in standby
redefault the user configuration by issuing the following command from the Web GUI terminal tab:

%2330INIT222.
%2330INITfa.

(wait ~30 seconds until you see the feedback response #30INIT... )
Of course this will work after you restore the Web GUI for the controller.

2) I updated intruction file:

http://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDA3/firmware/RecoverGUI.TXT

stanb

« Reply #1294 on: 19 Jun 2020, 04:22 pm »
GSchrader wrote:

"Note: firmware revisions destimed for the BDA3 with the older mainboard
(pre 2020, NOT PI-capable) need firmware  with revision number that ends
with a capital letter. BDA3.14 and BDA3 sold in 2020 equipped with new
mainboards required firmware ending with a lower-case letter."

BDA3 units equipped with with new mainboard sold in 2020 (a small number may have been sold as 3.14 since 11/2019)
 use the same software as BDA3.14,  available on-line in:

http://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDA-3.14/BCON%20Firmware%20Update/

Current release is BDA314_2020_04c.bin

There are no official release since then but some test releases to address some issues 
may have been sent by email to certain customers.  Some of these releases were compiled
for the old main boards which resulted in the loss of GUI when uploaded over old software.

If you have a new unit sold in 2020 with the Raspberry PI or without,
 then you have already installed release 2020 and you can just install
any release for BDA3.14 .  It will automatically recognise the presence
 or absence of the PI streamer. 

marcosax

« Reply #1295 on: 19 Jun 2020, 05:54 pm »
thank you Stan,
at last and least I know why my BDA-3 wasn't available on the LAN when in Standby mode:  from the RecoverGUI.txt file: "if Ethernet is disabled in standby (this is to meet the low
standby power <0.5W regulatory requirement when sold in Europe) it is possible to re-enable it by ..."

It's hardly an issue for me, it's actually better if the unit saves energy, but had I known this is to comply with EU regulations, it would have saved me time and headache trying to make it work... also because I only have 1 CAT5 cable near my system, which is usually feeding the NUC and I plug into BDA-3 only when needed.
So no real problem there.

The issues are the ones I described in my previous message, but to recap:

- the unreliable switching from USB to SPDIF, with no audio most of the time, although both inputs are being fed with signal. The only workaround is to press any of the HDMI buttons and then SPDIF, to get sound flowing.

- SPIDF output volume seems higher than USB, making matching inputs levels impossible(this wasn't so evident in previous fmw rel)

- POP sound when unit is turned on or input is set to USB

Can you reproduce these issues?
If yes, could they be fixed? A new rel is on the way?

Finally and failing this, as the major missing feature that led me to update the firmware (adjusting volume in native DSD) is still missing in this latest release (maybe it's impossible given the nature of the DSD format), I'm asking if it's possible to revert to my previous firmware release,   2016.05a, which didn't show these quirks.

TIA
(hope I didn't forget anything)

Marco

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #1296 on: 19 Jun 2020, 08:14 pm »
Hi All, With the confusion and trouble associated with updating BDA-3 firmware lately, I wrote the following document. Hopefully this will clarify the update procedure for those who need it and make it clear how to get out of trouble in case of a mistake along the way. Have a great weekend all.

http://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDA3/firmware/BDA3%202020-06c%20firmware%20update%20bulletin.pdf

marcosax

« Reply #1297 on: 19 Jun 2020, 09:17 pm »
thank you @gdayton, that's a proper walk-through instruction on the update process and clears from any questions.
Probably is still missing a reference to the units destined to EU market, which turns out cannot be reached on the LAN when in Standby mode.

In the end, I did already manage to update my BDA-3 (bought brand new 1 month ago, s/n < 001084, EU market) to u2020.06c, hoping that the new volume control feature would work in the DSD native, to avoid the (dangerous) white noise I get if BDA-3 volume is not set in Roon remote to 100%, but it's not the case.
Probably this issue is something you should solve together with ROON people.

In fact, this update brought with it some quirks I didn't have with previous rel.

From your introduction in the file you uploaded, I've finally find out that the main feature introduced by the latest firmware is about spurious pops with HDMI inputs (which I don't use hence I wasn't aware of).
In fact, I get pops at switch on the unit, and in order to switch between USB 1 to SPIDF I HAVE to press any of the HDMI first, otherwise the unit is silent, although LEDs are lit and show signal present.

So, if all other features are equal, for the time being, I'd like to revert to firmware rel 2016.05a, which my BDA-3 originally came with.

Is it possible to downgrade from u2020.06C to 2106.05a ? Could I have the file sent to me by email?

TIA

Marco

Lwxian

« Reply #1298 on: 20 Jun 2020, 06:02 am »
Thanks @gdayton! I managed to get the firmware updated! I have one of the early bda3 sets... 000119

But the description for hdmi1 and 3 seems to have error, anyway I can change or reset the input description?

Best Regards
Mr. Leong

marcosax

« Reply #1299 on: 20 Jun 2020, 09:28 am »
@Lwxian,
it happened to me as well, while trying to see if volume could be set separately for each input (which doesn't) and instructions were still referring to 9B amps or others.

By keeping the inputs button pressed for a while on the web interface, you can edit their name. Like me, you might have inadvertently edit them to random characters.
You can do it again and edit the names back to what they were.
« Last Edit: 20 Jun 2020, 11:21 am by marcosax »