What is it about these amps

Ragnar71

What is it about these amps
« on: 28 Feb 2020, 08:14 am »
I keep looking for an article about these amps that explains what they are, how they are different. They seem to have a big following, just looking for information on what they are. Sorry if it’s like on the front page of the website and I’m not seeing it. Just would love some help from someond

MatthewT

Re: What is it about these amps
« Reply #1 on: 29 Feb 2020, 08:41 pm »
There are not a lot of reviews out there. Most of them are from some time ago, as well. What reviews there are are all very positive and when demo'd at shows Odyssey gets very good reviews, too. A bit of a low profile, word-of-mouth sort of thing.

Loving my Khartago, if that helps.

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/tas-195-odyssey-audio-khartago-stereo-amplifier/

http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/revequip/odysseyaudio_khartago.htm

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2012/08/27/on-the-bench-odyssey-audio-monoblock-amplifiers/

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0705/odysseyaudio.htm

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #2 on: 11 Mar 2020, 04:17 am »
Very simple, we are cheating....................these are not $ 1000 amps, but $ 14 K mono designs from Symphonic Line in Germany that have been available in Europe since 1986 !!!!! (think of a Porsche 911 in regards to the maturing process)   30 + years of tweaking, development etc of a fantastic bi-polar design....fast forward to Odyssey and especially in the last few years when I went to town with the Kismet version that I regard as an all-out version....I have tweaked for over 3 years to get it where it stands now,  and figuring how little more $ I'm asking for it,  it's just ridiculous......

As for the red board amps,  the SE version is a true trickle down mini me of the Kismets for,  yes,  even less $....

So,  you effectively pay appr.  10 c on the $  of what you really should pay..........

Hope that answers your q...

Oh yes,  and then there is:

-completely hand made here in Indy by my wife and myself only !!!  Talk about family business....
-0 parts made in china...which is unbelievably difficult,  but we did it.....
- a 20 years warranty,   which is absolutely legit,  figuring that I have been in business since 1988,  and since 1999  with Odyssey,,,,,
- a comprehensive customization for every single customer,  from the build (and I can make you over 70 different versions) to the final custom setups for individual customers and the oh sooooooo   important custom  biasing......
- and we are extremely lucky in that the control and especially the sound quality in terms of the most important issue of synergy with speakers is fantastically high...
- and finally,  while shit still happens,  they are very reliable,  or otherwise Ii wouldn't be able to stand by the 20 years warranty

So,  what is it about my amps ????

Just a frickin' awesome bang for the buck.......

« Last Edit: 11 Mar 2020, 10:47 am by klaus@odyssey »

MatthewT

« Reply #3 on: 11 Mar 2020, 06:19 pm »
Can't argue with that in any way. Lovin' my Khartago! Thanks VERY much!

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 11 Mar 2020, 08:41 pm »
Agreed Klaus, it's an excellent amp that I use myself in one of my two systems. Great for relaxing to the music and for testing cables!  :thumb:

Arcticdeth

« Reply #5 on: 15 Mar 2020, 12:48 am »
 Tell you what......

Im waiting on my amplifiers as well. Their being upgraded from a much older pair of staratos monos.

from what i heard, just from these old amps, i think they were from 2006 or- 2008 or something, with short capacitors, and if i remember a red board?

When played through my aging BIC venturi v-830 towers, it was absolutely great!! deep bass, and mids and highs that just seems to ooze, then explode from there.

They are great amps all around, am i a fanboy, NO, i just like nice things.
Should you decide on a amp from Odyssey, you will be pleasantly surprised at the tone and depth of these amplifiers. (they might just be audios best kept secret.)

The only downside is the extended break in, for the symphonic line capacitors, but as **every review** i have read, this is all well worth the wait, and a very pleasant surprise, hearing the different moods of break in, from the first initial hour, through the first week, first month, and so on until they laser beam their magic into your soul.

hpc

« Reply #6 on: 17 Mar 2020, 12:12 am »
I have several of Klaus' amps - almost all are Stratos-Kismet monoblocs. 
To me, the Stratos-Kismet hybrid is the way to go; tons of room in the chassis
for warp-drive caps and transformer; heatsinks you can use to lift the
beasts versus cutting your fingers; cool running; darn reliable; and most
importantly, they make you forget about everything but the music you're listening
to or the movie sounds you're hearing.

Big Hendy

« Reply #7 on: 30 Mar 2020, 07:25 pm »
What is it about these amps?  How about four things.  First and foremost, build quality.  One can read it all over the internet and the printed press.  Klaus does not cut corners.  His build and parts quality are amazing.  The reality is that the guts of what Klaus sells would cost $$$$ more anywhere else.  Which dovetails into point two, price.  Klaus could be (and frankly should be) selling his products for much more.  I have listened too far more expensive systems that pale in comparison to my own - and they fall far short.  Third, goose bumps.  Sound.  It all comes down to accurate but enjoyable listening.  After purchasing my first set up from Klaus in 2000 (a Stratos Stereo Amp, a Tempest pre, and SL Legato speakers), I stopped "listening to my system" and really started to hear the music.  Have I upgraded over the years you bet I have.  Not because what I've had was somehow deficient, but because for the modest price of upgrades, Klaus has found ways to make the goosebumps grow.  I have gone from a Stratos Stereo, to Stratos Monos, to Klaus's version of the SL RG4s, to his latest iteration of power amp (dare I call them Kismets).  I cannot tell you the thrill and enjoyment I get sitting before my system and just getting lost in the music.  No other system I have owned, previewed, or demoed has ever come close - and the amps are very much the cornerstones of my systems.  Fourth, best damn client service you will ever find - which breeds loyalty.  Klaus's 20-year warranty is ridiculously long.  You won't see Krell, Mark Levinson (Harmon Intl), Pass, the list can go on) warrant their products for this length of time.  This isn't to say those aren't fine products (aoo of them are a hell of a lot more expensive), but they won't stand behind their products as long as Klaus stands behind his.

There is obviously a certain amount of subjectivity in what each person hears in an amp, but I must say that I am always amazed at the loyal following and reviews (just check out and AV review from an audio show) that Odyssey receives.  Obviously Klaus is doing something right.  THAT's what it is about these amps.   

KLH007

« Reply #8 on: 30 Mar 2020, 09:04 pm »
Klaus' rooms at shows easily compete with or better other rooms that are 5 to 10 times the cost! He is a genius at room setup and undercharges for his kit. If he wasn't so shy and introverted...