Cherry Amplifier® ---- What We're About 🍒

jman66

Re: improvements
« Reply #520 on: 30 Nov 2009, 06:38 pm »
Thanks to all who posted such nice comments recently!   :D

Like Robin guessed, there have been several improvements over just the last year, such as:
   - new motherboard (lots better about it like larger heat sinks, beefier traces, etc.)
   - improved input stage
   - bigger power supply caps
   - even more powerful transformers
   - new "rock solid" chassis with available premium binding posts and XLRs
   - improved output filter

Even our shipping containers were improved.  We are very proud of all this progress despite a tough 2009.  Our customers are smart people willing to give a relatively unknown and small company a chance, and we owe it all to them.

For those who have an older 4800A, do get in touch with Tommy about what upgrades can be done. He recently installed new modulator boards (I believe) in my 4800A. Out of the box, what struck me was a new-found fullness in the sound. That unjustly implies that the former 4800A was lacking, which it was not. The amp really presents a clear sonic picture, it hits hard when called upon and treads lightly with finesse too as the music content presents. I think much of the fine sonics relate back to a simple cliche, if the 1st watt sucks, what's the point of the rest. There's so much riding on that 1st watt, especially when high efficiency speakers are thrown in the mix...
The new product packing is certainly improved from what the amp was originally shipped in.
Just wanted to offer a little of my experience with the DAC4800A.

-jim

watercourse

Re: Digital Amplifier Company DAC4800A and Cherry amps
« Reply #521 on: 1 Dec 2009, 11:00 pm »
Just wanted to echo others' positive feedback on Tommy's amps and briefly share my experiences. I have been thoroughly enjoying the power and finesse of the Cherry Jr., and am constantly amazed at just how good this amp is as I pull out music I haven't heard in a while.
I had auditioned the Devores with an all-tube setup before buying them, and was very impressed with the musicality and immersive experience of the mega-buck demo system - in a much larger room than I would have thought these smallish drivers and speakers could fill. The system got me (and the owners) up and dancing at one point (to the Average White Band, no less)! Not being able to afford the demo system though (>$15K), it did provide a lofty reference, and my search began to achieve those heights once I got the Nines home.
Previously, I had a Bel Canto S300/Pre3 combo, then went off the grid with the Dodd battery pre and then the Red Wine Signature 30.2, before purchasing the very first Cherry Jr. from Tommy in August. I got to hear the 4800A (thanks to Lapsan) before the Jr., and got a sense of the potential of Tommy's designs with the rest of my system before committing. Tommy does have a 30-day return policy, though I didn't use it. He also offers a 3-year warranty on his amps (or more, says Tommy, but this doesn't appear on his prototype web page at this point). I can tell you my experience with Tommy has been first-rate.
Having gone through a series of amps in my system, the Cherry Jr. is the first one that I feel truly complements and shows off the Devore's many inherent qualities.
With other amps, the Nines tended to sound light in character, and at higher volumes sometimes shouty (S300) or underpowered (RWA). The S300 had an appealing "big screen" soundstage, but it was rather flat and uninvolving. The RWA had nice, palpable imaging, but everything was a bit dark-hued when tubes were in front of it. Before the Cherry Jr., I thought that the Devores just didn't soundstage all that well. Now, the Devores disappear, and the soundstage extends above, behind, and outside of the speakers' footprint (depending on the recording, of course).
My experiene with the other Class D amps was that bass in particular was never well-controlled, had a dip or recess in some frequencies, or a darkness or tubbiness that lacked detail in other frequencies (even with solid state preamps or direct from DAC - not due to tubes). I attributed a lack of weighty bass to the Devores, but the Cherry Jr. set me straight. Now, with some types of music, I may forget to turn on the sub and not notice or care because the bass is evenly balanced through the range of the speakers, and is tight and textured - which is perfect for late night listening. This also made it very easy to dial-in the sub's x-over frequency and volume because the bass was so consistent and tonally accurate with the Cherry Jr. driving.
In my system, and with the Dodd running Amperex 7308s, the S300 was still overly cool, while the RWA was too warm (!). At the upper end of the spectrum, the high frequencies usually didn't sound like they are supposed to - sibilants were too hot or disjointed from the rest of the voice, cymbals sounded metallic, but tizzy - lacking the varied bronze overtones, textures, and full range of colors they are supposed to have, and that the Cherry Jr. reproduces accurately with these same recordings. Now the cymbals only sound tizzy when the recording is that way to begin with.
I only realized after putting the Cherry Jr. into the mix that the other Class D amps left their imprints on the sound that were a hindrance to the rest of the system. My experience with this amp is that it really excels at musicality, macro- and micro-dynamics, tonal accuracy, and detail - all of which simply increase in scale as you add more juice, without any sense of breaking up or topping out like with previous Class D amps I've tried. This amp really does go to 11. Give one of Tommy's amps a try if you're in the market. I'm very happy with mine, and I think it has given me a solid reference to keep fine-tuning the rest of my system.

-Wilson

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
DAC4800A demo
« Reply #522 on: 14 Dec 2009, 12:30 am »
We now have a DAC4800A demo for sale.  Price is $999.  Thanks.

Send a Private Message if interested.

Thanks.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Happy Holidays ! ! !
« Reply #523 on: 24 Dec 2009, 05:03 pm »
We wish all of you a happy and safe holiday season!

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
DAC4800A demo SOLD --- more demos available
« Reply #524 on: 13 Jan 2010, 09:24 pm »
We now have a DAC4800A demo for sale.  Price is $999.  Thanks.

Send a Private Message if interested.

Thanks.
This unit was sold, but we have a few other demos in stock now --- a Cherry PLUS (new version), and regular Cherry (first version with some slight faceplate silkscreen damage)...

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
new web site
« Reply #525 on: 16 Jan 2010, 06:38 pm »
We have a new web site now:
http://www.digitalamp.com/

Any comments on this new format?  We will add content over time.

Thanks for taking a look!

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #526 on: 21 Jan 2010, 10:58 pm »
The new web site looks good!

mfsoa

« Reply #527 on: 21 Jan 2010, 11:28 pm »
Yup, looks good.

I do miss the "Inside the box" pics - maybe you could add them in the future- that 1500(?) watt transformer is sure purdy.

-Mike

srb

« Reply #528 on: 21 Jan 2010, 11:39 pm »
I do miss the "Inside the box" pics - maybe you could add them in the future- that 1500(?) watt transformer is sure purdy.

I must have missed the transformer photo.  All I see are small angled views of the front panels.

I would suggest at the very least, large higher resolution photos of both the front and back panels, accessed from smaller linked photographs on each product page.

The current front view photos leave me uncertain if it is a painted front panel or a nicely finished anodized one.  And I think most people would like to see the back panel photos showing the layout and differences between standard and premium jacks and posts.

Steve

watercourse

« Reply #529 on: 22 Jan 2010, 05:40 am »
Congrats on the new webpage, very nice job!
I second the comment on the "in-the-box" photos.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Inside the box photos...
« Reply #530 on: 26 Jan 2010, 12:37 am »

I must have missed the transformer photo.  All I see are small angled views of the front panels.

I would suggest at the very least, large higher resolution photos of both the front and back panels, accessed from smaller linked photographs on each product page.

The current front view photos leave me uncertain if it is a painted front panel or a nicely finished anodized one.  And I think most people would like to see the back panel photos showing the layout and differences between standard and premium jacks and posts.

Steve

Steve,
Thanks for your post.  All good points and a great help.
Yes, the front panel of the Cherry is brushed and anodized aluminum.  There are good resolution pictures here (earlier in this thread):
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=58526.msg682534#msg682534
We will work to make the improvements you suggested.  In the meantime, here are some photos:

New DAC4800A Inside:

New Cherry jr Inside:

New Cherry PLUS Inside:

mcullinan

« Reply #531 on: 26 Jan 2010, 12:46 am »
Wow nice site!!! Someone really talented must have designed it for you! ;)
Mike

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #532 on: 26 Jan 2010, 12:50 am »
Wow nice site!!! Someone really talented must have designed it for you! ;)
Mike

Is that your work Mikey? Damn nice job and very informative also.  :thumb:

I'm looking at them pictures Tommy and I'm thinking to myself, it's just as I remembered seeing them at a NY RAVE.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Cherry jr DEMO
« Reply #533 on: 27 Jan 2010, 06:26 am »
We're getting a Cherry jr demo in very soon (early next week?), and we'd like to sell it at a deep discount to an AC member!  If you are interested, send a PM...

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
POLL --- Please participate!
« Reply #534 on: 1 Feb 2010, 03:40 pm »

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Made in USA
« Reply #535 on: 2 Feb 2010, 07:16 pm »
For what it's worth, we are responding to comments on another thread of another amplifier manufacturer...

We build our amps in the USA.  We do all our PCB assembly in the USA with PCBs that are made in the USA.  We buy all the parts that we can from USA based companies.  We, as proud Americans, believe this makes our quality BETTER as well as supporting our country.  If we were from another country, we'd probably do everything there.

This isn't an easy path to take, and prices are a little higher here, but not as bad as you might be led to believe by some other company who makes their stuff in China.  We save money in other places, as explained before in this thread.  Here are a few ways we save money so we can sell a device packed with expensive parts at a reasonable cost:
1. No paid ads
2. No trade shows
3. No dealer markups

However, as we grow, we are finding it harder to play outside the normal bounds.  Here's one example...  We preach that we don't pay for advertising, so formal reviewers won't review our products.  Try getting a free "new product" spot in a magazine when there's no chance you'll advertise there.  We're waiting for the first reviewer with enough guts to do a review knowing that there's almost no chance that we will advertize in their magazine (in print or online).  That'll tell you who the REAL reviewer is.  You can't blame the magazine guys for running their business, though.  We have plenty of reviews from discerning audiophiles, by the way.

We are working to find ways to spread the word about our products without diverting significant money from improvements and/or research and development of new products.  We are not a marketing company.

So, to sum up, we build stuff in the USA with pride and depend on word of mouth (or text) to get new customers.  Think of it this way, our customers are lucky to find us, and we are even more lucky to have the opportunity to serve them.

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #536 on: 2 Feb 2010, 10:29 pm »
There's nothing "wrong" with your business model, it'll just be hard for you to grow that way...

P.S. the product is excellent!

RPM123

Re: Made in USA
« Reply #537 on: 3 Feb 2010, 11:15 pm »
However, as we grow, we are finding it harder to play outside the normal bounds.  Here's one example...  We preach that we don't pay for advertising, so formal reviewers won't review our products.  Try getting a free "new product" spot in a magazine when there's no chance you'll advertise there.  We're waiting for the first reviewer with enough guts to do a review knowing that there's almost no chance that we will advertize in their magazine (in print or online).  That'll tell you who the REAL reviewer is.  You can't blame the magazine guys for running their business, though.  We have plenty of reviews from discerning audiophiles, by the way.

We are working to find ways to spread the word about our products without diverting significant money from improvements and/or research and development of new products.  We are not a marketing company.

Have you approached "10 Audio" or "Bound For Sound" for a review? Neither accept any advertising.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Re: Made in USA
« Reply #538 on: 5 Feb 2010, 04:22 pm »

Have you approached "10 Audio" or "Bound For Sound" for a review? Neither accept any advertising.
We will look into them.  Thanks!

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Looking for D/A recommendations...
« Reply #539 on: 5 Feb 2010, 04:26 pm »
We are looking for a reasonably priced D/A with balanced outputs and a level control --- something readily available.  Price target is <$600 street.  Any recommendations???