AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Re: Digital Amplifier Company DAC4800A and Cherry amps
« Reply #480 on: 14 Aug 2009, 06:52 am »
Interesting thread on digital amps:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=70716.msg658872;topicseen#new

Feel free to chime in, especially if you own a Cherry or DAC4800A...

Thanks, all.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
fix for newsletter form --- sign up for info on Cherry jr release
« Reply #481 on: 16 Aug 2009, 02:10 am »
Our site host finally fixed the newsletter form, but it's pretty much a kludge since we can't edit it.

If you are interested in getting info on our Cherry jr release and a link to purchase at the introductory price, please use the form here:
http://www.DigitalAmp.com/news.htm

Thanks.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #482 on: 22 Aug 2009, 06:10 pm »
$2000 for a Cherry demo unit with smaller transformer:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=69956.new#new

Send a PM if interested.

Thanks!

That unit has sold.  Thanks.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #483 on: 24 Aug 2009, 04:52 am »
Tommy, got a question for you.

I've got a pair of SP Tech Timepieces coming, and I understand you have a little experience with SP Techs, yourself, from the NYAR raves.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of each scenario:

1) 1 x Cherry (Cherry Plus?)

vs

2) 2 x DAC4800A bridged

WG

« Reply #484 on: 24 Aug 2009, 02:10 pm »
I was curious as to the specs on these speakers but no longer can find their Circle nor was able to connect to the manufacturer's website for SP Tech.  I haven't checked in on these for awhile--is something going on with them?

Thanks,
Will

TF1216

• Industry Participant

WG

« Reply #486 on: 24 Aug 2009, 04:25 pm »
tf121682,

Thank you,
Will

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #487 on: 26 Aug 2009, 11:04 pm »
Tommy, got a question for you.

I've got a pair of SP Tech Timepieces coming, and I understand you have a little experience with SP Techs, yourself, from the NYAR raves.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of each scenario:

1) 1 x Cherry (Cherry Plus?)

vs

2) 2 x DAC4800A bridged

Actually, I'd recommend Cherry or Cherry PLUS over bridged DAC4800As.  Our amps bridged are more comfortable with higher impedances (like 8 ohms).  I heard that the impedance of the SP Tech Timepieces can go very low.  Can you send an impedance curve?  Thanks.

Warm Regards,
Tommy

ooheadsoo

« Reply #488 on: 27 Aug 2009, 01:26 am »
I don't think they drop much below 8ohms, but I'll see if I can find out.

RodMCV

« Reply #489 on: 27 Aug 2009, 01:42 am »
I think the Time Piece is 8 ohms with fairly flat Impedence and Phase.
The Revolution is 4 Ohms and similar as a little drop into 3 ohms but not deep(fairly flat too).

Rod

rms

« Reply #490 on: 27 Aug 2009, 02:02 am »
ooheadsoo - I think you will be mighty amazed by what the 4800A will do with your TP's. It absolutely rocks my Continuums. I haven't heard a Cherry yet but if you are able to buy one please do. I want to know what you think of that with the Timepiece's!

ooheadsoo

« Reply #491 on: 28 Aug 2009, 01:48 am »
I absolutely will do once the TPs arrive.

So, I couldn't get my hands on the impedance graph, but Bob of SPTech (Aether Audio) says that the impedance never drops below the dcr of the woofer, which is 6.1 ohms.

So, Tommy, back to the original question - 2 DAC4800A bridged or 1 Cherry?

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #492 on: 30 Aug 2009, 05:14 pm »
So, Tommy, back to the original question - 2 DAC4800A bridged or 1 Cherry?
I recommend Cherry or Cherry PLUS over bridged DAC4800As.  This is more cost effective and probably plenty of power.  You may be surprised since recommending bridged amps would mean selling more amps (!), but we haven't heard from any customers verifying that double bridged amps will work better.  I'd like to know if anyone has tried this...  Thanks.
Best Regards,
Tommy

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
web site messed up
« Reply #493 on: 30 Aug 2009, 05:21 pm »
We have had even more problems with our site host, and now all the navigation disappeared from the site!  Any web site experts out there???

We are now working with a local company to develop a totally new site.

If you're interested in buying an amp, please email DACSales@DigitalAmp.com.  We'll keep you posted...

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
new web site very soon!
« Reply #494 on: 2 Sep 2009, 03:12 am »
As many of you know, our website has been down for a while, but the new one is due out soon --- possibly by the end of the week...

Best Regards,
Tommy

ooheadsoo

« Reply #495 on: 8 Sep 2009, 05:11 am »
Tommy - I just ran across a problem and I have no idea at all if it's caused by your amp or not.  Unfortunately, I don't have enough spare parts to trouble shoot it all and I'm not exactly handy with a multimeter.

So I just wanted to ask if you've ever encountered this situation before.  One day after...enjoying...my sound system with the dac4800a, I noticed the sound in the left speaker starting to sound like it was cutting out intermittently.  After a while, the sound in the left channel just became much much softer than the right side.  If I flip the balance all the way over to the left and turn it up, it doesn't sound like the frequency response of the speaker is changed, it's just 50 or more decibels softer than the right side (db figure according to the pc sound card balance interface.)  When changing sources, the problem persists.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #496 on: 8 Sep 2009, 05:51 am »
Tommy - I just ran across a problem and I have no idea at all if it's caused by your amp or not.  Unfortunately, I don't have enough spare parts to trouble shoot it all and I'm not exactly handy with a multimeter.

So I just wanted to ask if you've ever encountered this situation before.  One day after...enjoying...my sound system with the dac4800a, I noticed the sound in the left speaker starting to sound like it was cutting out intermittently.  After a while, the sound in the left channel just became much much softer than the right side.  If I flip the balance all the way over to the left and turn it up, it doesn't sound like the frequency response of the speaker is changed, it's just 50 or more decibels softer than the right side (db figure according to the pc sound card balance interface.)  When changing sources, the problem persists.

Can you try another source (preamp or audio device with volume control)?  Even an iPod can help with inital troubleshooting in this sense.

Can you see if the protect LEDs are going on (they are red)?  Did you try switching the speakers -- left/right?

Was the amp shipped recently?  Are you the original owner?  Please send a PM with purchase details if so (don't publish them here).  Thanks for helping us debug the problem with you.

Regards,
Tommy

mfsoa

« Reply #497 on: 8 Sep 2009, 12:52 pm »
OOhead-

A wild guess here - Are you using RCA to XLR adapters?  Maybe something is loose in there - I have been able to jiggle mine and sometimes get some cut-out effects.

I just realized after making many positive comments re the DAC amps that I have still not heard one with what I consider to be worthy-quality balanced cables pre to amp. I have always used adapters w/ minimal interconnect swapping/optimization and so there may be more to be had than I've gotten so far.

Best of luck

-Mike

ooheadsoo

« Reply #498 on: 8 Sep 2009, 01:19 pm »
I'm using a pair of pro audio xlr microphone cables.  After a bit of cable swapping, I'm half certain the problem has been narrowed down to either my speaker cables or the amp.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #499 on: 10 Sep 2009, 06:04 pm »
I'm using a pair of pro audio xlr microphone cables.  After a bit of cable swapping, I'm half certain the problem has been narrowed down to either my speaker cables or the amp.
So everybody knows, we are now working on this behind the scenes...