Cherry Amplifier® ---- What We're About 🍒

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
servo versus non-servo
« Reply #400 on: 2 Feb 2009, 08:56 pm »
"new non-servo modulators"
I take it that the DAC4800A I tested didn't have these?
What improvements do these non-servo modulators make?

Dan

PS- In case anyone hasn't read my older posts, I tested a DAC4800A last year, and returned it under the 30 day trial period.
PPS- Tommy was a much better person to deal with, than the other AC amp designer/manufacturer, who's product I tried last year.

Hey, Dan.  How are you these days?
The non-servo boards came in just this month, so the amp you tried didn't have them.
The difference is simple...  The servo version uses an additional stage to compensate for DC offset.  The non-servo version uses a capacitor in the signal path to block DC.  The "purist" approach is not to have caps in the signal path.  The low frequency roll off is less than 0.2Hz either way.  We are still evaluating...

Tommy

Tommy-

Doing great, thanks.

If the cap in the signal path produces  "out-of-body euphoric" results, maybe it's time to forget the "purist" approach
and just enjoy the music.

Best regards to your family.

Aloha,

Dan

PS-Like Spectron's V-cap option, just think of all the favors you could offer......

By the way, when we listened to the non-servo version, we didn't have the servo version handy for comparison...

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
new Cherry motherboard --- CHERRY PLUS
« Reply #401 on: 22 Feb 2009, 04:41 am »
Introducing the Cherry PLUS...

- new motherboard for even lower noise and distortion
- 20% more bulk power supply capacitance
- fewer interconnects
- shorter/fatter PCB traces
- improved output filter components
- improved modulator circuit

We're planning a special on this amp for AC members, so email DACSales@DigitalAmp.com if you'd like a unit before we offer this new design to the public.  Thanks.

Tommy

mfsoa

Re: Digital Amplifier Company DAC4800A and Cherry amps
« Reply #402 on: 22 Feb 2009, 08:06 am »
 :drool:

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
comments about the new Cherry PLUS
« Reply #403 on: 22 Feb 2009, 05:17 pm »
:drool:
1st one's on reserve already, Mike (sorry, someone beat you to it)...

Guess you want one!  There will be a few built up short term, but then there will be a few months delay mostly because of chassis supplies.  We figure the first few units can go to good Audio Circle homes!!!

I was asked what the "most meaningful difference" is between the Cherry and the Cherry PLUS.  It's a tie between the bigger rail caps and the improved output filter.  Anyway, we hope the Cherry PLUS will show off the technology better than ever due to the refinements we put into this new version.  Thanks, and hope all is well...

-Tommy

RodMCV

« Reply #404 on: 23 Feb 2009, 07:31 pm »
Tommy,

Good to see a continued improvement and refinement,

the best is of course the Max end point Sound!

What is going to happen to the sound,,

better headroom, less variation of sound regardless of speaker types?

Rod

mfsoa

« Reply #405 on: 24 Feb 2009, 02:10 am »
Guess you want one!

Well, "want" is a word that we bandy-about quite a bit around here!  :lol:

But due to unforseen economic reprioritization ( http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=65235.msg597021;topicseen#new ) I'll have to hold off on the audio goodies for a bit.

-Mike

mcullinan

« Reply #406 on: 24 Feb 2009, 02:43 am »
My car is rusting out and I will need one soon too... I figure if I get enough rust on the roof I will have a self installed moon roof. aka an unforseen luxury item actually raising the price of my decrepit 1998 dodge Aaavenger.
No new audio for me either, until the economic turn around...
Mike

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #407 on: 24 Feb 2009, 05:23 am »
Tommy,

Good to see a continued improvement and refinement,

the best is of course the Max end point Sound!

What is going to happen to the sound,,

better headroom, less variation of sound regardless of speaker types?

Rod

Rod,

Thanks for your kind reply.  The sonic target is better all-around.  We're putting a test report together, but we all know the difference between bench tests and listening.  A blind A/B test is planned as well, comparing the Cherry to the new Cherry PLUS.  On a technical note, the overall design is meant for greater current delivery and control, although it is quite good already in the original Cherry amp.

BR,
Tommy

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
We are super busy
« Reply #408 on: 26 Feb 2009, 01:46 am »
By the way, we have been receiving lots of email about the Cherry PLUS.  This amp is in short supply and in demand.  We are willing to sell the first few at a REALLY deep discount to AC members only...

RodMCV

« Reply #409 on: 27 Feb 2009, 03:27 am »
When Lapsan told me he preferred his 4800a on his SP-Tech Revelations compared to his Spectron SE MK2 I was flabbergasted.

I asked him again and he said Better!

Now we know YMWV but I understand the Rave also noted a synergy of the SP-Tech's speakers and DAC amps.

SP-Tech are known to reveal upstream no no's so that is really saying something good.

This must be the value of the  Green Big Amps this year and
Audiocircle-ites can get in on the ground floor.

Tommy is this an economy booster?

Rod

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Cherry Refurb for $1950 ! ! !
« Reply #410 on: 7 Mar 2009, 09:31 pm »
When Lapsan told me he preferred his 4800a on his SP-Tech Revelations compared to his Spectron SE MK2 I was flabbergasted.

I asked him again and he said Better!

Now we know YMWV but I understand the Rave also noted a synergy of the SP-Tech's speakers and DAC amps.

SP-Tech are known to reveal upstream no no's so that is really saying something good.

This must be the value of the  Green Big Amps this year and
Audiocircle-ites can get in on the ground floor.

Tommy is this an economy booster?

Rod

Rod,

We are trying to do our part considering the economy!  In fact we now have a Refurbished Cherry Amp for only $1950.  It is in near perfect condition.  It was fitted with the newest boards and completely re-tested.  Thanks for your kind post.

Best Regards,
Tommy

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Wadia Transport versus CD
« Reply #411 on: 7 Mar 2009, 09:56 pm »
OK, here's an interesting one...  Using lossless rips of some great recordings, including "Bright Nightgown" from Donald Fagen, "Spanish Harlem" from Rebecca Pidgeon, and "Chinese Dance" (Nutcracker, featuring flute, Sony Classical), my wife listened to the new Cherry PLUS amp in a blind test.  She has really good ears and lots of experience doing listening tests --- thanks to me  :P.  The amp was driven directly from an outboard D/A (has output level control) with balanced outputs.  The D/A was driven by either a SONY CD player (optical out) or the Wadia Transport (coax out).  This made A/B-ing easy because the D/A has an input selector.  The end result --- the Wadia source was preferred or tied on all recordings.  Any comments???

Best Regards,
Tommy

rms

« Reply #412 on: 7 Mar 2009, 10:04 pm »
Hey Tommy - I want to try a passive attenuator in my system but need to know the input impedence and input sensitivity ratings for my 4800A to have it built - or if you have any other recommendation please let me know. Tim at Luminous Audio builds one that looks promising;

http://www.luminousaudio.com/axiomrca.php

Take a look at the Axiom at the link above and let me know if that is something you could put together for me. If so I'll purchase it from you instead - or is there something else you would recommend? I'm just looking for the cleanest possible signal to the 4800A.

Thanks

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #413 on: 7 Mar 2009, 10:48 pm »
Hey Tommy - I want to try a passive attenuator in my system but need to know the input impedence and input sensitivity ratings for my 4800A to have it built - or if you have any other recommendation please let me know. Tim at Luminous Audio builds one that looks promising;

http://www.luminousaudio.com/axiomrca.php

Take a look at the Axiom at the link above and let me know if that is something you could put together for me. If so I'll purchase it from you instead - or is there something else you would recommend? I'm just looking for the cleanest possible signal to the 4800A.

Thanks

The input impedance is about 10K when using single-ended (RCA), and here's the sensitivity info:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=61890.0

How do you like your DAC4800A?

Thanks for your post.

BR,
Tommy

rms

« Reply #414 on: 7 Mar 2009, 11:47 pm »
Thanks Tommy - and to answer your question - the 4800A is ROCKING MY WORLD!  (sorry for shouting) Seriously, it is one incredibly sweet amp. Somebody a while back said something about "out of body euphoric". Well, I'll second that. A couple examples from two of my favorite recordings; Dave Holland's Prime Directive - so incredibly present, huge soundstage, everybody in their place with correct height, depth, you name it. The other is Chick Corea To The Stars which sounded great before but a little - maybe, harsh, that's not the right word exactly, but kind of edgy. Well, now it is sweet and majorly 3D - holographic even. I keep turning around because there are people playing behind me. There is a section in the first tune where everybody is trading fours - it is just plain wicked now. Everybody is lined up right in front of me blowing like crazy. I listened to it three times in a row just to make sure it was real. And the bass - holy smokes. You guys who heard the 4800A with the SP Tech speakers know what I am talking about. I have the Continuum's and I just received a set of Mini's from another AC member. If you think the 4800A sounds great with the Minis you should hear it with the Continuums, and I can only imagine what two of these in Mono would sound like through a pair of Revelations  :o

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #415 on: 8 Mar 2009, 03:22 am »
rms...
You guys who heard the 4800A with the SP Tech speakers know what I am talking about.

Yes...its a good match...and I think even Tommy was surprised.... 8)

Happy listening.... :beer:

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Brief note about this economy
« Reply #416 on: 9 Mar 2009, 01:26 am »
While the "big guys" are hurting due to their huge overhead and large inventories, we are doing quite well and able to serve our customers even better these days.  The reason is simple --- we have already positioned ourselves to deliver quality product at low prices.  We don't spend our cash on trade shows, delivery of "free" units to reviewers, advertising (web or print), or "middle man" dealers.  We have received MANY invitations to do this, and we have rejected them all.  We focus on YOU, the customer.  So, we are listening to customers and able to make special deals to help them experience ultimate sound without breaking the bank.  In the meantime, our vendors are also helping us get parts at better-than-ever pricing.  We hope you appreciate this, and we hope you will give Digital Amp company a try.  Thanks for your time!

Best Regards,
Tommy O
Digital Amp Company

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #417 on: 9 Mar 2009, 02:37 am »
If you think the 4800A sounds great with the Minis you should hear it with the Continuums, and I can only imagine what two of these in Mono would sound like through a pair of Revelations  :o

I'm game!   :D  I could compare them to the Spectron Musician III Mark 2 monoblocks that currently power my fronts (SP Tech Revelations w/ ultimate Mundorf external crossovers).  How do I demo them?   :)

mfsoa

« Reply #418 on: 9 Mar 2009, 03:27 am »
I get to hear a new Cherry Plus Tues at my place.   :thumb:

I'll let you know how it goes.

Ted, are you thinking of trying the 4800 or Cherry Plus?

I'd love to hear two Cherrys vertically biamp something...

-Mike

mfsoa

« Reply #419 on: 9 Mar 2009, 03:47 am »
Thanks Tommy - and to answer your question - the 4800A is ROCKING MY WORLD!  (sorry for shouting) Seriously, it is one incredibly sweet amp. Somebody a while back said something about "out of body euphoric". Well, I'll second that. A couple examples from two of my favorite recordings; Dave Holland's Prime Directive - so incredibly present, huge soundstage, everybody in their place with correct height, depth, you name it. The other is Chick Corea To The Stars which sounded great before but a little - maybe, harsh, that's not the right word exactly, but kind of edgy. Well, now it is sweet and majorly 3D - holographic even. I keep turning around because there are people playing behind me. There is a section in the first tune where everybody is trading fours - it is just plain wicked now. Everybody is lined up right in front of me blowing like crazy. I listened to it three times in a row just to make sure it was real. And the bass - holy smokes. You guys who heard the 4800A with the SP Tech speakers know what I am talking about. I have the Continuum's and I just received a set of Mini's from another AC member. If you think the 4800A sounds great with the Minis you should hear it with the Continuums, and I can only imagine what two of these in Mono would sound like through a pair of Revelations   

It does not suprise me that you find the amp to be giddy-good   :thumb:

-Mike