Cherry Amplifier® ---- What We're About 🍒

jman66

Re: DAC4800A
« Reply #280 on: 24 Oct 2008, 09:19 am »

with hum killer ring

Tommy,

Any chance that this "hum killer ring" could be adapted to the DAC4800A? Thanks!

-jim

mcullinan

Re: Digital Amplifier Company DAC4800A and Cherry amps
« Reply #281 on: 24 Oct 2008, 02:09 pm »
HEy! No dogs better be lickin my DAC... hmm that sounds.... obscene?
Mike

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #282 on: 24 Oct 2008, 04:03 pm »
HEy! No dogs better be lickin my DAC... hmm that sounds.... obscene?
Mike

That's the 1st thing my Bandit goes for Mike, he'll unmake your day.  :lol:

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #283 on: 24 Oct 2008, 06:38 pm »

with hum killer ring

Tommy,

Any chance that this "hum killer ring" could be adapted to the DAC4800A? Thanks!

-jim

Jim,

I had samples made for the DAC4800A and Cherry.  The band (ring) is inside the transformer wrap, and I'm not too sure how well it works yet.  In any case, it probably wouldn't work as well outside the wrap.  Maybe when we order a bunch of new transformers, I can upgrade yours.  Unfortunately, they are significantly more expensive.  Are you going to the rave tomorrow?

Best Regards,
Tommy

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
October NYAR --- some impressions of the Cherry Amp
« Reply #284 on: 27 Oct 2008, 03:13 am »
Check out this thread:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=60190.msg544548;topicseen#new

The Cherry amp was played on three different speaker systems this time...

Just a reminder, we're still offering a special deal for AC members, just send a PM to find out more.  Thanks to Mike and Sharon, the awesome hosts of this rave.  Mike has the Cherry amp now.

Occam

« Reply #285 on: 27 Oct 2008, 03:52 am »

with hum killer ring

Tommy,

-jim

Jim,

I had samples made for the DAC4800A and Cherry.  The band (ring) is inside the transformer wrap, and I'm not too sure how well it works yet.  In any case, it probably wouldn't work as well outside the wrap.  Maybe when we order a bunch of new transformers, I can upgrade yours.  Unfortunately, they are significantly more expensive.  Are you going to the rave tomorrow?

Best Regards,
Tommy

Tommy,

It sounds like what you are describing is a gossband (grain oriented silicon steel band) that is effective against EMI in the plane of the toriod. A toroids planar EMI is already relatively small, but in cases where component are mounted closely a gossband can minimize that type of induced hum. It would work equally well when mounted outside the transformers wrap. But if the hum is actually emanating from the transformer itself, a gossband isn't going to change it.  Typically that is caused by either a poorly wound, or undersized core, or dc offset on the mains itself.

FWIW,
Paul

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Isabella with Cherry Amp at NYAR
« Reply #286 on: 28 Oct 2008, 02:17 am »
We heard the Red Wine Isabella unit drive the Cherry amp this weekend at NYAR, and it's an awesome match!  Any comments about this setup versus the others (like the VAC pre)?  Thanks.

Regards,
Tommy

Mariusz

« Reply #287 on: 28 Oct 2008, 03:21 am »
Hi Tommy,
this is the Isabella guy.
Few comments about Cherry amp:
* despite my mixed feeling during the September Rave at Mike's place (hard to beat the cheer-leading and commotion to really listen might have been one of the reasons as well as random and unpredicted component matching) I was kind of looking forward to another audition of Cherry amp. I promised myself to give it a serious though and actually try to listen to this newcomer.

* after the Rave , I came to conclusion that Cherry is indeed special and synergistic with few components which we had on hand during a second encounter/introduction. These were:
SP Minis and RWA Isabella preamp. For whatever reason, this combination was IMO - stellar. Given the unpredictable circumstances, room acoustics ( actually lock of it ) etc, the Minis sounded better then ever. Cherry brought the best in those little buggers and Isabella was just icing on the cake. I have to say though, that with introduction of tube preamp Cherry really opened up and its almost sterile, brute power, took Isabella's warmish presentation and present the music reproduction qualities which I can definitely relate to.

Latter.....when used in bi-amp mode with VAC amp on top to drive Mike's main rig with VR4 Jr, It also improve on already good sound. Proving itself to be very competitive contender in the World of Hi End electronics.

* It should be carefully match to ensure proper integration/synergy with one's components.

*at the end, highly recommended and definitely worth looking into. :drool:

Thanks Tommy for opportunity to hear your amp again and participating in our humble NY Raves.  :thumb:

Wish you all the best  :wink:

Mariusz

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #288 on: 28 Oct 2008, 03:31 am »
Hi Tommy,
this is the Isabella guy.
Few comments about Cherry amp:
* despite my mixed feeling during the September Rave at Mike's place (hard to beat the cheer-leading and commotion to really listen might have been one of the reasons as well as random and unpredicted component matching) I was kind of looking forward to another audition of Cherry amp. I promised myself to give it a serious though and actually try to listen to this newcomer.

* after the Rave , I came to conclusion that Cherry is indeed special and synergistic with few components which we had on hand during a second encounter/introduction. These were:
SP Minis and RWA Isabella preamp. For whatever reason, this combination was IMO - stellar. Given the unpredictable circumstances, room acoustics ( actually lock of it ) etc, the Minis sounded better then ever. Cherry brought the best in those little buggers and Isabella was just icing on the cake. I have to say though, that with introduction of tube preamp Cherry really opened up and its almost sterile, brute power, took Isabella's warmish presentation and present the music reproduction qualities which I can definitely relate to.

Latter.....when used in bi-amp mode with VAC amp on top to drive Mike's main rig with VR4 Jr, It also improve on already good sound. Proving itself to be very competitive contender in the World of Hi End electronics.

* It should be carefully match to ensure proper integration/synergy with one's components.

*at the end, highly recommended and definitely worth looking into. :drool:

Thanks Tommy for opportunity to hear your amp again and participating in our humble NY Raves.  :thumb:

Wish you all the best  :wink:

Mariusz

What Mariusz said  aa,,,,,,, you are the real deal Tommy and so is the Cherry.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

mfsoa

« Reply #289 on: 28 Oct 2008, 01:59 pm »
Hi Everyone,
For those who aren't watching the October Rave thread, I'll catch you up and put some impressions here:
Tommy was kind enough to leave his Cherry amp at my place and I've putting some good miles on it. He can give you more details on this specific unit.  Right now the setup is:
Rotel CD >(Reality IC)> VAC pre >(Reality IC/RCA to XLR adapters)> Cherry > (Reality SCs) > SPTech minis.

Tommy I got to tell you the difference in sound between the simple AC cord and the Black Sand Silver Ref V is stunning - you gotta come hear this. I don't know if you've ever played with AC cords before but when you hear this you'll see...  I also preferred the Reality ICs w/ the adapters to the balanced cables you brought - We can check this out too - I think your balanced cables were a little lean compared to the Realities, which are fast and detailed but not etched at all.

The Minis sound very very good right now. The combo of the DAC amp/BlackSand cord with a tubed pre is working really well, as the DAC did with the Isabella pre in the other room at the Rave.

I guess these comments are vs. my VAC amp, since that's my best frame of reference-

The DAC amp throws a huge soundstage, very precise and more upfront than the VAC. This was the first thing that grabbed me when it was switched on.
Its overall presentation is one of cleanliness, which when matched to the wrong front-end and speakers (a pro dac directly into the amp w/ B&W 805s) sounded downright icy and painful at volume. The DAC liked the more full-bodied SP Minis and now twice has played really well with tubed preamps here.

Bass-wise of course the qualities of the DAC play into the hand of the Minis - These speakers love to be lifted up and thrown around a room by an amp and then come back for more. The DAC amp has excellent bass control and definition which the Minis are eating up.  I compared the DAC vs. a 600 watt Sunfire for use on the woofers of the VR4s and the DAC was far superior in bass dynamics, control and pitch definition.

But... There is still something I prefer about the upper mids to very highs on the VAC. I felt it a bit more detailed and nuanced than what the DAC amp was giving me. That 'ole tube glow, ya' know?

-Mike

mcullinan

« Reply #290 on: 28 Oct 2008, 02:12 pm »
They sound similar in sound to the Bel Cantos.. They were missing the detail in the mids... to highs that the Nuforce have in spades. Not clinical detail either. The Bel Cantos sounded awesome, just smoothed over some of the musical info.

Mike do you have power conditioning on the cherry? That should take away the top end weirdness you are experiencing. The VAC pre which I have heard should be a Perfect match for any digital amp imho.
Mike

mfsoa

« Reply #291 on: 28 Oct 2008, 02:39 pm »
I stole this from some reviewer but it fits - The DAC amp as well as the Rotel ICE amps I've heard have a slight chrome tinge to the highs. If this is accentuated you'll hear it as we did on the 805s. The Minis were far more tolerant of this and the positives of soundstaging, bass control and overall cleanliness and transparency of the DAC amp really work with the Minis.

The Minis are singing like noone heard them at the Rave - Really something wonderful.

Mike, based on the differences I heard in the powercords I wouldn't be suprised if conditioning would also make a big change. I haven't tried it yet - Didn't want to choke it (that's your job (he he))

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #292 on: 28 Oct 2008, 02:49 pm »
Bass-wise of course the qualities of the DAC play into the hand of the Minis - These speakers love to be lifted up and thrown around a room by an amp and then come back for more.

.........Lets ROCK.. :rock:  :lol: (got a sound level meter Mike?)

mcullinan

« Reply #293 on: 28 Oct 2008, 03:12 pm »
I would choke it any chance you get. Find a dark corner and place the choke hold upon it... the erm amps I mean.
Mike  :lol:

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #294 on: 28 Oct 2008, 05:02 pm »
Just for S&G,I hope you'll try the Cherry with power conditioning. I am surprised to hear that you feel the VAC has more detail in the mids/highs than the Cherry(Jim/Hogg said the same thing to me with the Cherry/Isabella/Mini setup,,,, you tube guys :lol:) as it's that full spectrum detail that I've heard to be the Cherry's strong suit,,, and way to much so when matched up with Tommy's pro dac w/volume control. I heard a more fleshed out but softer mid/high with the VAC myself but that was 1st impression along with numerous beers & munches. :lol: i do know that I'd love to compare your VAC with my Butler's which have a nice little blue glow of their own. aa

Please keep these updates acomin' Mike, love to hear about what you're hearing. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
the offer...
« Reply #295 on: 29 Oct 2008, 04:30 am »
Hi, folks.

We feel it's not necessary to bicker when receiving complaints about our marketing or prices.  We are truly doing our best to provide a fine product as inexpensive as we can, within reason.  Replying directly may be seen as justifying the unproductive commentary.  Thanks to those who respect the work we do, and to those that don't, please refrain from the mud slinging.

For the next two weeks, we'd like to offer a HUGE (seriously) discount to Audio Circle members.  Send me a PM if you are interested.  We have stock.  This is our "take advantage of the slow economy" special.

Best Regards,
Tommy

Thanks to all who provided comments regarding the Cherry amp at the October NYAR meet!  Keep them coming.

You know, I also brought a DAC4800A demo unit, but the Cherry was hooked up almost constantly (three different speaker systems), so I didn't get greedy.

Just to remind everyone, we have a few units in stock that we'll sell to AC members at an AMAZING discount.  The offer ends on the 6th, so send a PM if you're interested ASAP.  We recommend a tube pre with balanced outputs, but these amps will do well with just about any pre, SS or tube, balanced or RCA, and into just about any speakers.  Thanks again and as always.

Best Regards,
Tommy

jhm731

« Reply #296 on: 29 Oct 2008, 06:28 am »
Plugging the DAC4800A, I tested into a power conditioner (RSA Duke) didn't alter it's SQ.

I never tried the stock power cord, I used the same Supra LoRads I use on my Tact amps.

I returned the DAC4800A, and received a wiki wiki refund.

Mahalo Tommy.

Aloha,

Dan

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
our recent offer
« Reply #297 on: 3 Nov 2008, 01:20 pm »
3 days left...
Send a PM if you are interested.
Thanks.

mcullinan

« Reply #298 on: 3 Nov 2008, 02:04 pm »
Plugging the DAC4800A, I tested into a power conditioner (RSA Duke) didn't alter it's SQ.

I never tried the stock power cord, I used the same Supra LoRads I use on my Tact amps.

I returned the DAC4800A, and received a wiki wiki refund.

Mahalo Tommy.

Aloha,

Dan

No Mike should choke it not you.
Hes a professional choker.
Mike

jimdgoulding

« Reply #299 on: 3 Nov 2008, 02:20 pm »
Superb thread, gents.  The combination of equipment at the rave was cutting edge and the results being reported have me salivating.  As Mike is still at it I hope he will continue keeping us informed.