The OFFICIAL Super-7 thread

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
Re: The OFFICIAL Super-7 thread
« Reply #380 on: 11 May 2018, 03:55 am »
Congrats!

HT cOz

« Reply #381 on: 11 May 2018, 04:07 am »
Wow Tyson, thats a great pickup!!!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #382 on: 11 May 2018, 11:55 pm »
What's amazing is just how CLEAR it is.  It's not warm sounding at all.  Just clear, like a bunch of low level grunge just got wiped away, all at once. 

Tyson

« Reply #383 on: 4 Jul 2018, 04:59 pm »
Another update on the Jupiter Caps - for a long while they were sounding pretty meh.  Like seriously they did not sound like an improvement over the prior caps I had in the speakers (ClarityCaps bypassed with small Jupiters). 

Then I read somewhere on another thread that film caps in general need to be run in at high volume.  So late last week I had 3 hours to myself at home and I put on pink noise and ran the volume up to 90db on my SPL meter (damn that's LOUD) and just let them go for 3 hours like that. 

Net result?  OK, now they are a clear step up over the prior setup.  There's not a fundamental change in tone or clarity or presentation, it's like it's the same "type" of sound, but simply better in all ways.  Better clarity, better tone, better imaging, better everything.  For example, the hardest test of any speaker I can imagine is solo soprano at realistic volumes.  Most speakers break up or get ragged sounding especially when the singer really leans into a note.  But not the Super 7s.  They've ALWAYS been world class with really difficult music like this.  But now they are even better.  It's just so CLEAR, like you can hear all the nuance in their singing, even when they are going full throttle.  It's really, really impressive. 

I'm still not sure it was worth the $2.5k it cost to do the cap upgrade, but it is an improvement for sure.  I'll see if I can get some more VERY LOUD pink noise break in for them over the next few weeks.  In fact I might be able to get some done today, while we're out of the house doing 4th of July parade and fireworks.....

Danny Richie

« Reply #384 on: 4 Jul 2018, 05:41 pm »
Thanks for the update. I had a feeling those caps would come around. Price of admission is pretty high though. The same can be said for the Dueland caps. Great caps, but man they're pricey.

Speaking of the Super-7's again...

I have dissembled my listening system and won't have a new one built for a while. The new listening room at the new shop will be 16 feet wide and 38 feet deep.  :thumb:  But it will take a lot of work to build it into the ideal dedicated room that I need it to be. It's being torn down to bare studs.

So this gorgeous pair of Super-7's are setting idle, covered up in a corner, and not being played.  :duh: 

I need to find a new home for this pair. They deserve to be playing for someone. Make me a serious offer and I might take it.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #385 on: 4 Jul 2018, 07:40 pm »
Thanks for the update. I had a feeling those caps would come around. Price of admission is pretty high though. The same can be said for the Dueland caps. Great caps, but man they're pricey.

Speaking of the Super-7's again...

I have dissembled my listening system and won't have a new one built for a while. The new listening room at the new shop will be 16 feet wide and 38 feet deep.  :thumb:  But it will take a lot of work to build it into the ideal dedicated room that I need it to be. It's being torn down to bare studs.

So this gorgeous pair of Super-7's are setting idle, covered up in a corner, and not being played.  :duh: 

I need to find a new home for this pair. They deserve to be playing for someone. Make me a serious offer and I might take it.
Danny - what are the specifics on these speakers again? (Which x-over parts do they have)

Also, what are the physical dimensions and weight? Shipping them out here would be expensive.....

:drool:

Danny Richie

« Reply #386 on: 4 Jul 2018, 11:02 pm »
Danny - what are the specifics on these speakers again? (Which x-over parts do they have)

Also, what are the physical dimensions and weight? Shipping them out here would be expensive.....

:drool:

Super-7's that were my personal pair. Caps are all Sonicaps and the tweeter circuit has Sonicap Platinum by-pass caps.

I have shipping creates for them and could probably get them shipped to CA for about $500 to $600.

Tyson

« Reply #387 on: 12 Jul 2018, 03:18 pm »
Update on the Super 7's with Jupiter copper caps - was watching the Criterion Collection remaster of Rumble Fish last night (early Coppola).  The Super 7's are now so clear, so transparent, you can actually hear with this movie that all of the sound work was done later, in a different acoustic than where the scenes are taking place onscreen.  Not hugely distracting or anything, but wow that's some transparency!
« Last Edit: 12 Jul 2018, 11:38 pm by Tyson »

Cheeseboy

« Reply #388 on: 12 Jul 2018, 10:08 pm »
Just do it John. I think it’s time for a change

Steve

SoCalWJS

« Reply #389 on: 12 Jul 2018, 10:44 pm »
Just do it John. I think it’s time for a change

Steve
Yeah, I'm this close to pulling the trigger. If I could magically make LS6's and Super V's sell at reasonable prices (locally - greater SoCal/Central Cal areas - can't imagine trying to ship them. I drive around all the time and can practically deliver them anywhere in the area), it would be a done deal.

On the other hand, I'm getting the Frankenspeakers dialed in pretty close - sounding better and better all the time, plus they give me HT/2 channel versatility that I would have to work out with the 7's.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #390 on: 13 Jul 2018, 01:39 pm »
Just drive around with them in the back of the truck. Like the speaker man in the van.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #391 on: 13 Jul 2018, 05:12 pm »
Just drive around with them in the back of the truck. Like the speaker man in the van.
Should I paint my Sequoia white, buy a trench coat, and a pair of cheap sunglasses?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #392 on: 13 Jul 2018, 06:18 pm »
Yeah, I'm this close to pulling the trigger. If I could magically make LS6's and Super V's sell at reasonable prices (locally - greater SoCal/Central Cal areas - can't imagine trying to ship them. I drive around all the time and can practically deliver them anywhere in the area), it would be a done deal.

On the other hand, I'm getting the Frankenspeakers dialed in pretty close - sounding better and better all the time, plus they give me HT/2 channel versatility that I would have to work out with the 7's.

I'm using my NX-Oticas & servo subs in a combo 2-channel/HT system. All it took was adding an HT receiver with pre-outs and a sealed sub(s). I connect the L&R main pre-outs from the HT receiver (in my case a Marantz SR-7009) to one of the 2 channel pre-amp inputs. If your 2 channel pre-amp has HT by-pass inputs, use those. If not, you can use any pair of inputs.

The key is setting the volume on the 2 channel pre-amp so the HT receiver controls the master volume when watching movies. To do this you will need to know how to set the volume for the chosen pair of pre-amp inputs. If you use a passive or zero (unity) gain pre-amp, you would turn the pre-amps volume all the way up for HT use. If your pre-amp has gain, you will need to know what volume setting corresponds to zero gain (i.e. for my PS Audio Stellar pre-amp a volume level of 76 corresponds to zero gain so that is the volume level I have the pre-amp set to when watching movies). You don't have to be perfect, just close enough so the HT receiver's setup program can level match all your speakers.

The sealed (or ported if you prefer) sub(s) are connected to the subwoofer output(s) of the HT receiver.

I don't use a center channel speaker for HT. The NX-Oticas (and Wedgies before them) are so clean I can hear the dialogue perfectly fine without a dedicated center channel speaker. Besides, there isn't a center channel speaker that can come close to matching my mains so why muddy the system with a mismatch?

When watching movies, all your normal 2 channel gear is on as well as the HT receiver and the receiver is controlling the master volume.

Mike

SoCalWJS

« Reply #393 on: 13 Jul 2018, 06:56 pm »
I'm using my NX-Oticas & servo subs in a combo 2-channel/HT system. All it took was adding an HT receiver with pre-outs and a sealed sub(s). I connect the L&R main pre-outs from the HT receiver (in my case a Marantz SR-7009) to one of the 2 channel pre-amp inputs. If your 2 channel pre-amp has HT by-pass inputs, use those. If not, you can use any pair of inputs.

The key is setting the volume on the 2 channel pre-amp so the HT receiver controls the master volume when watching movies. To do this you will need to know how to set the volume for the chosen pair of pre-amp inputs. If you use a passive or zero (unity) gain pre-amp, you would turn the pre-amps volume all the way up for HT use. If your pre-amp has gain, you will need to know what volume setting corresponds to zero gain (i.e. for my PS Audio Stellar pre-amp a volume level of 76 corresponds to zero gain so that is the volume level I have the pre-amp set to when watching movies). You don't have to be perfect, just close enough so the HT receiver's setup program can level match all your speakers.

The sealed (or ported if you prefer) sub(s) are connected to the subwoofer output(s) of the HT receiver.

I don't use a center channel speaker for HT. The NX-Oticas (and Wedgies before them) are so clean I can hear the dialogue perfectly fine without a dedicated center channel speaker. Besides, there isn't a center channel speaker that can come close to matching my mains so why muddy the system with a mismatch?

When watching movies, all your normal 2 channel gear is on as well as the HT receiver and the receiver is controlling the master volume.

Mike
Thanks for the input - I'll have to go through it carefully. My setup for HT currently is VERY simple so that SWMBO can run everything with the DirecTV remote. Bottom of the line Yamaha with no pre outs. That would be the first thing I'd have to replace.

Old setup included a Lexicon MC-12v4 (no HDMI) running to a Classe CAV 150 6 channel amp, and my 2 channel Pre had HT bypass, so it was a piece of cake.  Center, sides, and rear channels went to the Classe, and the Front L/R were hooked up to Mono Blocks - just turn on the right Amp(s), and I was good to go.

Now I'd have to find a HT receiver that isn't too pricey and has Pre outs to run to the Classe for surround duties......... more $$$$$

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #394 on: 14 Jul 2018, 01:36 am »
As long as you are not looking for the latest and greatest, you can find HT receivers with pre-amp outputs for around $400 new. I bought a Denon for my grandson a couple months ago for $430 with pre-amp outputs. It was last years model but still new in box at a hefty discount. 

SoCalWJS

« Reply #395 on: 16 Jul 2018, 04:11 pm »
As long as you are not looking for the latest and greatest, you can find HT receivers with pre-amp outputs for around $400 new. I bought a Denon for my grandson a couple months ago for $430 with pre-amp outputs. It was last years model but still new in box at a hefty discount.
Yeah, I certainly don't need all the bells & whistles for an HT receiver. I do need the pre outs and 4k/HDR pass through as a minimum. Room correction and extended Bass management and a big bonus. Have to do some research. Everything handles at least DTS MA & Dolby equivalent. I don't need more than 7.1/7.2. No need for much power. Have to do some research. Good sound is a must, but they are all fairly similar IMO.

I did some research - looked at Denon's current lineup, and you have to start spending some pretty serious money before Pre outs show up.

Hoping to hear good news this week on a separate matter which would make this much easier........ :popcorn:

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #396 on: 16 Jul 2018, 04:32 pm »
Yeah, I certainly don't need all the bells & whistles for an HT receiver. I do need the pre outs and 4k/HDR pass through as a minimum. Room correction and extended Bass management and a big bonus. Have to do some research. Everything handles at least DTS MA & Dolby equivalent. I don't need more than 7.1/7.2. No need for much power. Have to do some research. Good sound is a must, but they are all fairly similar IMO.

I did some research - looked at Denon's current lineup, and you have to start spending some pretty serious money before Pre outs show up.

Hoping to hear good news this week on a separate matter which would make this much easier........ :popcorn:

The trick is to find a dealer that sells overstock, older models that are still new, open box, and/or refurbished. Locally I go into the Magnolia Design Center (inside Best Buy) and ask them what they they can get that fits my needs. The salesperson searches the computer to see what is available either in one of their warehouses or at another store. There is usually something available somewhere that fits my needs and is within my budget. Over the years I have picked up a number of AVRs this way at about half their retail price.

For this kind of discount they were not the current models. They were either last year's model or even 2 year old models that had not sold and were taking up space.

You should be able to find 1 or 2 year old models to fit the requirements you listed. Where you might have a problem with older models would be if you wanted something that was also HDMI 2.2 compliant.

On the web there are other dealers. I would have suggested Spearit Sound but they have gone out of business.

Captainhemo

« Reply #397 on: 16 Jul 2018, 04:56 pm »
Amazon quite often carries  refurbs   and  / or  discontinued  receivers.
I've seen  some prety decent  prices on the  trading post/home theater at times as well.   Might  be  worth  watching  a bit

jay

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #398 on: 16 Jul 2018, 05:29 pm »
I'm looking for a 5.1 receiver with pre outs as well, last time I looked it was pretty expensive to get a Denon with this.

I wonder if other brands have less expensive models with pre outs. Or if there is a 5.1 processor out there without built in amps. This would keep one from buying something they aren't going to be using anyway.

Greg

WC

« Reply #399 on: 16 Jul 2018, 05:49 pm »
https://www.accessories4less.com/

They sell refurb products. They have good pricing on AVRs, although stock does vary. All Marantz models have preouts.

For an inexpensive processor check out Outlaw audio.