Early impressions of the NX-Oticas and H-frames

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day
Early impressions of the NX-Oticas and H-frames
« on: 31 May 2016, 02:27 pm »
Got these up and running and listened for 4 hours last night.

Couple disclaimers:

1. While I am a reviewer and Danny is a friend of mine, nothing was paid or given to me to influence my thoughts or opinions about these speakers. In fact, the only "deal" or discount that was given to me was Danny honoring the same price that Rythmik quoted me for the plate amps. (20% off). Besides this, I did get a small break on the flat packs from Jay and Don but nothing to get excited about.

2. One of the drivers (M165NQ's) was DOA so these impressions are only taking into consideration that 2 of the 4 drivers are wired up and working. The picture is misleading because it appears all the drivers are working.

3. Im using temporary cheap wire right now, nothing is soldered.

4. Keep in mind, I am coming to you with impressions of both the Oticas and the servo subs as a package. I dont think anyone getting the Oticas is planning on using them without subs and that is for a good reason. While the Otticas play pretty low in room and would cover 85% of the entire spectrum, you must have something to help below 60hz.

Listening Impressions:

Treble:

The top end of the Otica's remind me of what I love so much about my Anthony Gallo 3.1s but push the limits to the extreme. Due to the physics involved of the Oticas being 2x taller than the Gallo 3.1s, the top end extension sounds more lively and natural in terms of height. With the Gallos, splashes and crashes can sound somewhat short and these limitations are nowhere to be found with the Oticas. In fact, contrary to what I was worried about with the tweeter being substantially higher than ear level, the cymbal hits and top end of everything was coming straight at me at or just above ear level. This goes to show the dispersion and off axis of those Neo tweeters is no laughing matter. In regards to top end tone, the Oticas make the Gallos sound delicate and polite, almost "toy like" as opposed to the way something should sound. While checking out something aggressive and rocking, cymbals hit with authority and sounded ballsy like I experienced with the Spatial M3s but there is one key difference: forgiveness. Because Danny nailed these drivers/networks, you have little to no stored energy on top so when the strike happens on the cymbal, thats all you get. At no point in the 4 hours did I feel tired of fatigued and this was approaching 87-92db listening levels at times.

Midrange:

The midrange and midband on the Oticas is superbly crafted. Tones and textures of vocals pick fights with anything I have ever heard. With well recorded material, you are rewarded with micro details in the human voice that will freak people out (These Bones - Fairfield Four). Male vocals have meat on the bones when they should and female vocals sound smooth as butter without a trace of grain, grit or edginess. All midband instruments ranging from electric to acoustic guitars will have you convinced you are listening to speakers that cost as much as a car. With the open baffle wedged design, this gives instruments the weight and heft needed to avoid sounding paper thin and presents material with substance that portrays all the benefits of a box speaker without the negative effects of being stuffed inside a box.

Bass:

Simply put, the most musical sounding bass I have ever heard by a country mile. Deep? Uh, yeah... in the teens and with authority! For the knuckleheaded baboons that say Danny is full of himself when he claims these play flat down to 20, allow me to make this perfectly clear. You have no idea what bass is supposed to sound like until you hear these. Yes, they play that low and yes, they play flat (I have measured them). Are there some caveats? Sure, the plate amp settings are confusing as heck and the subs must be pulled into the room 3 feet or more. Other than that, these could be the most realistic sounding subwoofers on the planet. Also, the integration to the Oticas blends better than peanut butter goes with jelly. At no point could I figure out where the subs were located and more important, where they handed over the work to the Oticas.

Ill save the rest for the video review when I cover these but I can say without reservation, I don't know of any loudspeaker at or around $4k that would even come close to what this system is capable of performing. I have heard speakers that cost as much as a car that cant compete.

« Last Edit: 31 May 2016, 06:28 pm by Vedder323 »

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Early impressions of the NX-Oticas and H-frames
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2016, 02:39 pm »
I would love to see some in room measurements of the low frequency < 100Hz with those OB subs.  Can you post?

Vedder323

• New Record Day
« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2016, 02:40 pm »
I would love to see some in room measurements of the low frequency < 100Hz with those OB subs.  Can you post?

Ill cover all measurements when I knock out the video review. Are you a skeptic?  :green:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2016, 02:41 pm »
Ill cover all measurements when I knock out the video review. Are you a skeptic?  :green:
When is the video coming?  Skeptic?  Hardly.  Curious to see what the OB looks like. 

Vedder323

• New Record Day
« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2016, 02:48 pm »
When is the video coming?  Skeptic?  Hardly.  Curious to see what the OB looks like.

It will be a while bro, im super busy.

Captainhemo

« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2016, 03:19 pm »
Nice write up Ron and they speakers / sbus look great together :beer:

Man,  you just wiat. Once you get the other  2 NQ's  wired up and some hours on all those caps (up to 300-400 for the  platinums ), you are in for a treat !  Those additional 2 NQ's will make a PROFOUND  improvement to what you are hearing now.
They sound good  "out of the box", but once they have some burn in time, they really start to sing

Enjoy  !

jay

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2016, 03:41 pm »
I am sure I missed it, but what constitutes the roughly $4k cost?

Was that just the kit + flat pack?

George

Captainhemo

« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2016, 04:00 pm »
I am sure I missed it, but what constitutes the roughly $4k cost?

Was that just the kit + flat pack?

George

The NX-Ottica kit (including flat pack), the parts (drivers / amps) for the OB servo subs,  and a  dual H-frame flat pack (optional) would  come in at  under  $4500

jay

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2016, 04:37 pm »
The NX-Ottica kit (including flat pack), the parts (drivers / amps) for the OB servo subs,  and a  dual H-frame flat pack (optional) would  come in at  under  $4500

jay

Thanks Jay.

Sounds like a tremendous value for a high level of performance.

Just not sure of my speaker building skills...

George

Vedder323

• New Record Day
« Reply #9 on: 31 May 2016, 04:43 pm »
Thanks Jay.

George

I couldnt hang a shelf from IKEA bro...  you would do just fine.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 31 May 2016, 04:44 pm »
George,
I really suck at woodworking.

I had very little problem building Jay's predecessors H-Frames.  Basically glue and clamps.  I was very worried and it worked out very well.

Finishing can be done at a local body show with car paints if you are like me with painting.  Or use something like DuraTex from Danny for a hard finish. 

You just need the space to get a bit messy, but I just put towels down on the rugs and it worked fine.  The wood glue cleaned up with water.

Good luck with your decision.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 31 May 2016, 04:53 pm »
Thanks for the vote of confidence guys.

Vedder323,

Looking forward to your full review.

George

Vedder323

• New Record Day
« Reply #12 on: 31 May 2016, 04:54 pm »
With the paint, I found using a roller and flat enamel worked extremely well. I think we often get stuck in a rut of going super glossy or glass like, as if is the only finish that looks good but thats not been my experience. Like HAL mentioned the Duratex would also work just fine. By the way, this was my first time doing wood veneer and it was easy... 

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 31 May 2016, 05:01 pm »
Great initial write up Ron.

Nice write up Ron and they speakers / sbus look great together :beer:

Man,  you just wiat. Once you get the other  2 NQ's  wired up and some hours on all those caps (up to 300-400 for the  platinums ), you are in for a treat !  Those additional 2 NQ's will make a PROFOUND  improvement to what you are hearing now.
They sound good  "out of the box", but once they have some burn in time, they really start to sing

Enjoy  !

jay

+1  :thumb:

George,
I really suck at woodworking.

I had very little problem building Jay's predecessors H-Frames.  Basically glue and clamps.  I was very worried and it worked out very well.

Finishing can be done at a local body show with car paints if you are like me with painting.  Or use something like DuraTex from Danny for a hard finish. 

You just need the space to get a bit messy, but I just put towels down on the rugs and it worked fine.  The wood glue cleaned up with water.

Good luck with your decision.

And if all else fails there are some of us on the site who would build and finish the speakers for you.

Mike

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: 31 May 2016, 05:03 pm »
I'm surprised there isn't a HAL MS-3 active crossover upgrade available for these. 

Captainhemo

« Reply #15 on: 31 May 2016, 05:19 pm »
Thanks Jay.

George

George,
I've designed these cabinets (both  speakers and subs) so they go together  as easily as possible. As I recommeded to Ron , doing a few dry  assemblies before actually gluing them up is a great  idea just so you   get a feel for  how it all fits togther. The cabinets will  easily stay togher when dry fit, surprisingly solid asctually.
You would have to pick up a few clamps and for the Otticas, I do recommend  either  a couple of band clamps or even a set of ratcheting  tie downs that can be wrapped around the   cabinet and  snugged up to pull  evenly inwards.

Everything  in these cabinets  either  fits into dado's or  is located with dowels so they are pretty much all self aligning.

jay

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #16 on: 31 May 2016, 05:22 pm »
Jason,
If folks were interested, I can make a MS-3/dspMusik version of the crossover. 

I have a demo system to use that is with the LS-9's now.

Add about 50% to the cost.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: 31 May 2016, 05:43 pm »
Jason,
If folks were interested, I can make a MS-3/dspMusik version of the crossover. 

I have a demo system to use that is with the LS-9's now.

Add about 50% to the cost.
Thanks.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #18 on: 31 May 2016, 05:43 pm »
What's the output difference of the 2 driver VS. the 3 driver H Frame? 

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #19 on: 31 May 2016, 08:18 pm »
Nice build! Looking forward to the video review... :thumb:

Best,
Anand.