The BudP DIY Speaker Ground Tweak

jopagi

Re: The BudP DIY Speaker Ground Tweak
« Reply #280 on: 24 Jan 2011, 05:14 am »
Hey guys...would headphones benefit from this tweak?? I'm modding some Grado's and there is plenty of room to add the piece...the negative lead in each phone would be OK or another location inside each would be better??
 Thanks
 Ed

I was wondering the same thing. 
I built some replacement cables for my HD650 last year.   After reading this thread, I wondered about building another set of cables with ground loops, but didn't see an elegant way to add them since the cables have to be relatively lightweight, flexible, and aesthetically pleasing,
Modding the headphone itself would make more sense.

BudP

« Reply #281 on: 24 Jan 2011, 09:43 pm »
I don't know what to tell you. I haven't experimented on headphones yet.

Were I to do so I might first try a mini plug Wye adapter with one of the loops connected to the common ground plug of another plug and inserted into the adapter. If the audible benefits seemed noticeable you could then proceed.

As an aside, using them for phono cartridges, guitar amp pickups and tape deck heads is useful, but the loop size gets cut in half as does the dielectric material added to the wire, at least with the Litz that I use.

Bud
« Last Edit: 25 Jan 2011, 02:48 am by BudP »

oskar

« Reply #282 on: 4 May 2011, 05:05 pm »
While waiting for the mailman to bring me these ground devices I thought I'd just try the looped wire DIY. 20" looped 14 gauge twisted ends inserted on the neg posts of my bi-wire speakers. 4 loops total. Hoping I wouldn't have to strain to hear a change I hit play. After about a minute I reached down to pick my jaw up off the floor. Shocking. Everything I wanted more from my very modest system and then some. My greatest thanks to BudP for his invention and research.

Lkdog

« Reply #283 on: 16 Dec 2020, 05:44 am »
Resurrecting a very old topic, (but new to me tweak).

Curiosity got the best of me and I happened to have some 14 AWG stranded copper wire laying around and made loops for negative posts of my bi wired ACI Jaguars and Odyssey Kimet monos.
The wire was some stuff from Home Depot called Cerrowire Vinylon. It's like 25 cents a foot. LOL.

Not going to go into a lot of audiophile terms. Definitely made a change and I like it so far after a couple days.
Still assessing, but it seems positive across the spectrum. Some might find it a bit strident or too much added clarity.
Dunno if there is break in of some sort. It's sharper, but still smooth. System leans toward smooth to begin with.
It brings more of an in the studio or live sense.
More presence and air. Maybe it lowered noisefloor to be more revealing or is accentuating detail more.
I listen to a lot of 50's/60's jazz FWIW.

Don't know why it makes a change. Don't care. Audio hobby is part science and part system synergy and trial and error and many things are system and context dependent.
Been refining this system for years off and on. You never know about some of these things.

Will see how this holds up for extended play.

Interesting to say at the very least.

« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2020, 06:25 am by Lkdog »

BobM

« Reply #284 on: 16 Dec 2020, 01:12 pm »
I found that you should experiment with this one to balance the sound to your liking. There's a slight difference using it on the speaker end or on the amplifier end of the cable. Also a difference on the + or - side of both, especially if you are correcting for phase with your cables.

tdangelo

« Reply #285 on: 14 Jan 2021, 10:55 pm »
i’ve been using the EVS ones for years and just tonight unplugged them from my speaker binding posts to compare. Definitely sounds better with them. I googled them to refresh what they are about and found this resurrected thread LOL.

tony

rtate

« Reply #286 on: 15 Jan 2021, 02:30 am »
would this work with open baffle speakers ?

tdangelo

« Reply #287 on: 15 Jan 2021, 03:56 am »
would this work with open baffle speakers ?
I use them on my Spatial Audio X2 which are open baffle.

rtate

« Reply #288 on: 15 Jan 2021, 02:02 pm »
did you have good results on your Spatial's ?
Are you still using them ?

tdangelo

« Reply #289 on: 15 Jan 2021, 02:10 pm »
did you have good results on your Spatial's ?
Are you still using them ?

Yes, I like and currently use them on the Spatial and other speaks too.

rtate

« Reply #290 on: 15 Jan 2021, 08:30 pm »
was there much tuning involved ?
Like with loop length ?

tdangelo

« Reply #291 on: 15 Jan 2021, 09:34 pm »
was there much tuning involved ?
Like with loop length ?

Plug and play
http://tweakaudio.com/EVS-2/EVS_Ground_Enhancers.html

rtate

« Reply #292 on: 15 Jan 2021, 11:51 pm »
Those are the same ones I have ! :green:

xsb7244

« Reply #293 on: 16 Jan 2021, 04:04 am »
Also, look at battery ground tweak by unclestu.  search in audio asylum.  A lot written about this tweak.

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #294 on: 16 Jan 2021, 09:04 pm »
Is this the idea?

« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2021, 12:55 am by Audiosaurusrex »

rtate

« Reply #295 on: 18 Jan 2021, 02:56 pm »
Would these still work if you put them at the amplifier end of the speaker cable ?

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #296 on: 20 Jan 2021, 01:33 am »
According to the EVS site they would also work on the amp end as well but better on the speaker side. Not sure I did it right. My M3’s sound so good I’ll have to give it a good listen to determine