Listening in San Francisco

marks-sf

Listening in San Francisco
« on: 18 Jan 2021, 11:31 pm »
Just thought I would join the fun after lurking for a while. Been in all aspects of audio since the 70's and still do the occasional build, mod or live recording. Also, still in love with my Dunlavy SC-III.A's powered by Anthem amps and a host of from-end gear. I look forward to contributing as well as consuming!

Mark

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Listening in San Francisco
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2021, 01:54 am »
Welcome Mark  :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2021, 02:43 am »
Welcome!

marks-sf

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jan 2021, 03:27 am »
Thanks, guys. Got initially fooled by the message that said new registrations were shut down due to spambot activity.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2021, 03:45 am »
Thanks, guys. Got initially fooled by the message that said new registrations were shut down due to spambot activity.
This was not today, some weeks ago.

jjss49

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jan 2021, 04:47 am »
welcome

dunlavy's are great

ric

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jan 2021, 02:30 pm »
I had the Dunlavy SCIII's for about 20 years, and finally decided to try something new, now own Spatial Audio M3TS. Loved the Dunlavy's but now love the Spatial's.

marks-sf

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jan 2021, 02:22 am »
Thanks for the welcome. I've had my Dunlavy's for 15 years. Don't know why they rapidly changed names from Althea -> Cantata - SC-III.A as the design was not an evolution of the SC-III. I previously had SC-II's for a short time but these are significantly more extended down low and better WAF. I was on the Zoom NCAS did with Clayton and Spatial. OB designs are intriguing and I lurked a bit over in GR Research as well. My current listening space while fairly large, because it is also an HT space and family room, I don't want to deal with moving speakers back and forth. I know others have felt the Dunlavy's are single position speakers, but this is not my experience with this refined design.   

ric

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jan 2021, 02:26 pm »
Hi, not sure what single position speakers are, aren't they all? If you ever want to hear the Spatial's, I'm near Santa Rosa. Happy listening!

marks-sf

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jan 2021, 06:40 am »
Hi, not sure what single position speakers are, aren't they all? If you ever want to hear the Spatial's, I'm near Santa Rosa. Happy listening!
I meant that you could only be dead center for them to image well. While it is true they image best there, I don't find the imaging drops off quickly as you move right or left. Thanks for the offer. Don't make it up their very often. Hope you didn't;t have a fire troubles.

ric

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jan 2021, 02:16 pm »
Thanks. The Dunlavy's had sharper imaging and better clarity, which led me to upgrade the crossover on the Spatial's. The Spatial's also image amazingly well and provide a you are there sense of live sound with soundstaging that is a must for orchestral music. Huge bass response, too.