Vision phono preamp is in the house!!!!

avahifi

Re: Vision phono preamp is in the house!!!!
« Reply #20 on: 10 Jun 2015, 06:53 pm »
The following is the text from the User Guide for the new AVA Vision adjustable phono  preamplifeir.

Vision Adjustable Phono Preamplifier User Guide

Introduction

Thank you for your purchase. We think this special and sophisticated new and unique RIAA phono preamplifier will please you.

Your new Audio by Van Alstine Vision Adjustable Phono Preamplifier is a brand new multi-purpose direct-coupled split passive EQ very high performance solid-state phono preamplifier.  It is designed with high current buffered output circuits to handle long cables, complex tape loops, and other difficult loads.

The Vision Phono Preamplifier is user adjustable for either MM or low output MC cartridges, and provides for adjustable cartridge loading and gain.

The circuits we designed have very low DC offset or drift.  Thus all coupling capacitors have been eliminated from the direct signal path.  It is built in our new custom 7” x 5” x 2.5” inch chassis. The isolated internal linear analog power supplies are fed by a small 120V to 16V AC step down “wall wart” transformer, keeping all high level AC and noise out of the preamp chassis.

The AVA Vision Phono Preamplifier is shipped with the internal dip-switches set for a standard MM cartridge as a default setting unless you have instructed us of your preferred settings at time of order.

Make all adjustments with your preamplifier turned off.

Each phono channel has a ten-position dip-switch.  Pushing down on the raised nub of each switch position will turn that switch on or off.  There will be a small click as the raised nub is pressed down and engaged.

When each switch position is pressed down at its number end, that switch position is ON.

If you ordered the Vision phono section for use with a normal output moving magnet cartridge it will be delivered with all ten switch positions per channel turned off.  This is the normal 20dB gain default setting for moving magnet phono cartridges.

Just in case you loose the setup instructions below, they are also printed on the inside of the preamp cover, making it very hard to loose them.  ☺

Note that the switch positions closest to the grey-shielded input cables are positions 1.

For use with a low output moving coil cartridge each channel should be set as follows as a starting point.

Set switch positions 1 and 2 to ON.  This adjusts the cartridge input conditions for MC cartridge

Set switch positions 4 to ON.  This sets phono gain to the normal +60 dB for MC cartridge

Set switch positions 9 to ON.  This sets phono input load to 100 ohm.

Switch positions 3 ON instead of 4 increases the MC gain by 6 dB

Switch positions 5 ON instead of 4 decreases the MC gain by 6 dB.

Switch positions 6 through 10 set alternate MC input loads.

Position 6 ON is a 1000-ohm load

Position 7 ON s a 475-ohm load

Position 8 ON is a 220-ohm load

Position 9 ON is a 100-ohm load

Position 10 ON is a 47-ohm load

Positions 7, 8, 9, and 10 all turned ON at once provide a 30-ohm load.

Make sure all unused switch positions are turned off.

Make sure the settings on both channel's switches are set identically.

Please call us at 651-330-9871 for help if you have any questions.

Scoville

« Reply #21 on: 13 Jun 2015, 01:16 pm »
Thanks for the report on the Vision phone pre, Wayner.  It helped to cement my decision to have Frank include one in the Vision DAC/pre-amp I ordered yesterday. 

Jim

Rocket

« Reply #22 on: 19 Jan 2021, 01:22 pm »
Hi Guys,

This is an extremely old thread and I really dislike it when other members bump them to the top after being inactive for so long :). The short story is that I've ordered a vision phono stage from Frank and I'm really happy to give it a go in my system. I've always wanted to buy a product from Audio by Van Alstine and may'be this will be the beginning of further orders.

I'll be using this in the following system:

Speakers: salk sound ht3's
Turntable: Denon dp1200 with ortofon bronze mm
Preamplifier: Red Wine Audio Isabella preamplifier
Amplifier: Ps Audio HC2 (highly modified).

I have 2 other phono stages to compare it with so it I should be able to give some good feedback.  I currently use a bluenote de medici phono stage which sounds pretty decent but I experience moderate levels of hum despite whatever I do to try and overcome the problem.

Cheers Rod

avahifi

« Reply #23 on: 19 Jan 2021, 03:36 pm »
Hi Rocket,

Are you in Australia?  If so you will need to get a small 240V to 120V step down transformer as the external 120V to 15V step down transformer that is standard with the Vision Q won't work directly with 240V AC line operation.  It can be a small step down transformer as the current draw is minimal.  The connection is from your 240V wall output into the 240V to 120V step down transformer, with the Vision Q wall wart transformer plugged into the 120V outlet on the step down transformer.

It still should work absolutely hum free.

We will see if we can find a 240V to 15V version of our wall wart here, but it is doubtful that it is available in the USA.

Let me know if this can work for you.

Frank

Rocket

« Reply #24 on: 19 Jan 2021, 10:41 pm »
Hi Fra

Yes I'm from Perth, Western Australia.  If you can provide me with details of what I require for the power supply I can try to source one here.

I'm looking to no hum as its a bit annoying but more importantly I think the vision phono stage will be a step up in performance.

Cheers Rod

dB Cooper

« Reply #25 on: 20 Jan 2021, 02:43 am »
Whatever happened to Wayner, or is he an 'un-person'?

avahifi

« Reply #26 on: 20 Jan 2021, 04:08 pm »
To use a Vision Q phono preamplifier in a country with 240V line voltage you will need something like this:

https://www.world-import.com/voltage-transformer-converters.htm

Their lowest cost one should work just fine.

You plug the 240V input side of the converter into your AC power outlet and then the Vision Q wall wart into the 120V output side of the converter.

Frank

Rocket

« Reply #27 on: 22 Jan 2021, 10:46 am »
Hey Frank,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I actually wanted to order it but they were going to charge me $91usd for shipping. I'll find one locally here in Australia. I've been wanting to purchase one of your products for years so I'm pretty happy to buy the vision phono stage. I'm sure it will far exceed what I am using at the moment.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers Rod

Rocket

« Reply #28 on: 28 Jan 2021, 12:22 pm »
Hey Frank,

I received the vision phono stage and tried to find a compatible power supply but opted to use a step-down transformer instead.  It arrived so quickly from the USA all the way to the West Coast of Australia in under a week.

I'm no good at reviews but I do have nice gear. Well I think so anyway...  After playing one side of a record I've thrown out the shipping box and I won't be returning it to you in 30 days.

I have a bluenote de medici which is fairly old but is handmade in Italy.  I think it retailed about $1k usd in the day. In comparison your vision phono stage is so much quieter, zero hum and has a nice black soundstage. Its a bargain at its price.

Thanks for all your help.

Cheers Rod