Lampi Digital Interface Options

doak

Lampi Digital Interface Options
« on: 3 Nov 2015, 08:05 pm »
When I got the Lampi Gen5 Lev4 several months ago I was using a SW optimized laptop as source and USB output to the DAC.  At that time I did connect a modded Oppo 83SE disk player via SPDIF and immediately noticed/heard better sound than on my CD rips. At that time I did not realize that much of the improvement I heard may have been due to the SPDIF interface.

I've since acquired an Auralic Aries and gave a cursory listen to both RCA and USB outputs. I realized that even with a basic Canare digital cable the SPDIF had an edge. Unfortunately I could not use that option to stream my considerable collection of DSD material. With the addition of an Uptone Regen with LPS power and good cabling I felt the USB option to be equal or better than the SPDIF. I then utilized USB for ALL music playback.

I recently decided to revisit the SPDIF connection between my Aries and Lampizator. Having gone the DIY route for nearly all of my cabling needs for 30+ years, I am admittedly adverse to spending what I consider a lot of money on cable.  After doing a some research I recently acquired what may be considered a "decent" RCA digital cable and experimented with it vs the optimized USB option.

As a result of this exercise I am now using the SPDIF option for all PCM playback up to its limits. DSD, of course, is still fed via USB. To my ears with these components the SDPIF sounds more "right" than the "goosed up" USB connection. Since I must ALWAYS flick a switch on the Lampi to go from PCM to DSD, I now flick 2 switches and also change from SPDIF to USB. In this setup I also, easily & quickly via iPad, change the Aries Lightning Server output channel.

Moral of the story: It may be well worth thoroughly exploring if you've an interface option available other than USB, even if it will not handle all of the music files you wish to play.
« Last Edit: 3 Nov 2015, 09:54 pm by doak »

genjamon

Re: Lampi Digital Interface Options
« Reply #1 on: 3 Nov 2015, 08:36 pm »
Thanks for sharing!  I, too, use an Aries and maybe should explore the SPDIF option.  What was the "decent" RCA cable you acquired?

doak

« Reply #2 on: 3 Nov 2015, 09:45 pm »
Thanks for sharing!  I, too, use an Aries and maybe should explore the SPDIF option.  What was the "decent" RCA cable you acquired?

Chord Prodac VEE3 - if you decide to go this route be sure the RCA ends look exactly as pictured.  There is an earlier version. Plus, I suggest you look for something in the original factory packaging (pictured). There seems to be some shenanigans going on with counterfeit item.

doak

« Reply #3 on: 7 Nov 2015, 11:21 pm »
It's a laidback, rainy Saturday afternoon.  Have been listening to LOTS of music via the Gen5 Lev4 Lampi.
I've had it for nearly 7 months.  Think it's about at the "peak of its game" now - the right tube set, cables, support, etc.
Sounding great! :thumb:

Since I have the DAC hooked up to the Auralic Aries via both USB and RCA/coax interfaces, it's quite simple to switch from one to the other. Listening to some of my fave PCM music files and, to me, it's easy to hear the difference from one to the other. The RCA/SPDIF interface just sounds more like real music - more fleshed out, less "digital." 

What's kind of eating at me a bit is this: Many of my very favorite musical things are DSD music files and this DAC's forte is its dual-mono DSD boards (thanks again Lukasz!). I am thinking that it is to some extent "kneecapped" by the USB interface and there is no viable alternative.  Believe me, this is NOT a gripe regarding this DAC or Lampizator.  USB for high density music files is the "industry standard."

To my mind it became the standard because that's the ONLY option computers used for "computer audio" had available. We then saw a proliferation of USB/SPDIF converters, but even they don't "do DSD." So we do our best to optimize the USB interface with all of "tag ons", gizmos, and Band-aids.  Thinking it is time for a "new standard," one purpose built for its intended job - to transfer high resolution/high bit-rate music files with, hopefully, NO degradation in sound quality.

On my Wish List for the coming year.  :D

« Last Edit: 8 Nov 2015, 03:16 pm by doak »

wisnon

« Reply #4 on: 9 Nov 2015, 07:37 pm »
Dont let Blizzard give you Nervosa! LoL. Chipless Dsd is only via Amanero and lukasz does not feel it is any weak link. The superclock Acko Amanero is $500 alon5e and that would be the Lukasz price,so imagine retail with no gurantee of any significant SQ increase. He will of couse try to develop i2s and ethernet as input options...but he wont offer without hearing a big step up in SQ over present. Today, I heard his Komputer server to GG dac upsampled pcm  (to DSD256) via jriver to bughead emperor playback in AO core mode....reel to reel type quality!
I can just because at the Warsaw show this wend, I heard R2R beatles album (Sgt Pepper) played on a Studer player via Chord Electronics to Cabasse speakers (which I didnt like when it played digital). Superb, never heard the Beatles sound so good and LIVE. This was first recording from the Master…so a real collectible.

Lampi demo room kicks butt!
« Last Edit: 9 Nov 2015, 09:19 pm by wisnon »

doak

« Reply #5 on: 10 Nov 2015, 03:36 am »
Dont let Blizzard give you Nervosa! LoL. Chipless Dsd is only via Amanero and lukasz does not feel it is any weak link. The superclock Acko Amanero is $500 alon5e and that would be the Lukasz price,so imagine retail with no gurantee of any significant SQ increase....

It's good to know that the current state of USB interface development is recognized to not be the best it can possibly be.  My initial comparison of USB/PCM several months ago showed me the disparity between the two when transferring the same material. More recently, Blizzard's often onerous rants did lead me to question my total reliance on "optimized" USB for ALL music file transfers. The FACT is that IF one is using both the PCM  and DSD capabilities of their DAC, whatever the make,  it would be to their advantage to explore using RCA/AES for PCM and reserve USB (by default) for DSD.

I have found, in my experience to my ears in my system, that I prefer the sound of files played in their native format.  While something may sound sweeter or more acceptable when transposed and upsampled, I also find that something important is lost in the process. Thus, the PCM option becomes all that more important. There are others who feel and hear the same, including the man who is producing these DACs - unless he has changed his mind on this subject.

wisnon

« Reply #6 on: 10 Nov 2015, 07:50 am »
Bughead Emperor will change many minds!

My point was about Nervosa though…not absolute best which none of us know unless we test all and I take your point that USB is not the only option to explore even on our current Dacs.
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2015, 04:36 pm by wisnon »

doak

« Reply #7 on: 10 Nov 2015, 03:54 pm »
Bughead Emperor will change many minds!

My point was about Nervosa though…not absolute best which none of us know unless we tests all and I take your point that USB is not the only option to explore even on our current Dacs.

More power to you for persisting to fiddle with the minutiae involved in attempting to optimize computers and operating systems for audio playback.  I spent a lot of, and IMO too much, time with JRiver, JPlay, Fidelizer, etc  That about drove me truly "buggy."

I opted out and opted for the Auralic Aries. So nice let those folks fuss with the SW and feed the machine updates.  My blood pressure is down and my musical enjoyment is way up. 

wisnon

« Reply #8 on: 10 Nov 2015, 04:38 pm »
No Doak,

I dont have it. I was at the Warsaw show last weekend and a vist to the Lampi demo room where the Server he sells has tis option available that wuill be setup for customers to use with no need for expertise or undue fiddling!

As I said, reel to reel type ANALOG sound!

BTW, is your Aries the top model with outboard LPSU and extra femto clock dedicated to USB?

doak

« Reply #9 on: 10 Nov 2015, 04:45 pm »
No Doak,

I dont have it. I was at the Warsaw show last weekend and a vist to the Lampi demo room where the Server he sells has tis option available that wuill be setup for customers to use with no need for expertise or undue fiddling!

As I said, reel to reel type ANALOG sound!

BTW, is your Aries the top model with outboard LPSU and extra femto clock dedicated to USB?

I've no doubt the Lampi Komputer sounds incredible.

Correct. Using top level Aries along with the Uptone Regen plus HDplex LPSU to power Aries, Regen, and USB HD.

wisnon

« Reply #10 on: 10 Nov 2015, 05:12 pm »
So you nixed the 16v 1amp stock LPSU?

doak

« Reply #11 on: 10 Nov 2015, 10:07 pm »
So you nixed the 16v 1amp stock LPSU?

Yes, iin build it seems a toy compared to the HDplex which is like 12 pound brick. Haven't done a serious listening comparison. Haven't been inclined to since what I am hearing sounds quite good. Does a great job with the Regen even compared to my DIY li-on batery supply. Plus, it cleaned up things a bit by supplanting three PSUs.

wisnon

« Reply #12 on: 11 Nov 2015, 07:08 pm »
Very nice Doak. Thanks.