Schiit Aegir

MttBsh

Re: Schiit Aegir
« Reply #60 on: 14 Oct 2019, 09:11 pm »
That might be true for you, but it's not true of most people, at least as far as I've been able to observe.  The name in particular (Schiit) people seem to really get the clever humor of it.

Not at all true for me. I'm a happy owner of their gear who appreciates their thumbing their nose at the snobbery so often associated with audio enthusiasts. However I do think there are those who make the mistake of not taking them or their products very seriously.

birkbott

« Reply #61 on: 4 Dec 2019, 08:16 pm »
I have an Aegir that I was using for some Spatial Audio M4s (92db sensitive) with a Saga S preamp and it sounded great. I'm currently in the process of building some X-LS Encores from GR Research and I have some concern about the Aegir being able to handle the reduced efficiency of the X-LSs (87db). I plan on eventually running a 2.2 setup with dual servo sub kits from GR research as well so they will be crossed at 80hz which I think should help? If not I'll consider either getting a Vidar or dual Aegirs but i won't know until I hook them up.

AvsFan

« Reply #62 on: 6 Feb 2020, 05:15 pm »
I haven't read through all of this but am going to today. This amp is on my VERY short list for my new Omega Super 3 High Output monitors.   drivers 97.5 db efficiency and no crossover. Seems like this amp would be a real good fit for these kind of speakers.

mick wolfe

« Reply #63 on: 6 Feb 2020, 05:54 pm »
I have an Aegir that I was using for some Spatial Audio M4s (92db sensitive) with a Saga S preamp and it sounded great. I'm currently in the process of building some X-LS Encores from GR Research and I have some concern about the Aegir being able to handle the reduced efficiency of the X-LSs (87db). I plan on eventually running a 2.2 setup with dual servo sub kits from GR research as well so they will be crossed at 80hz which I think should help? If not I'll consider either getting a Vidar or dual Aegirs but i won't know until I hook them up.

Unfortunately if you go with 2 Aegir's, you'll have to start looking for a pre-amp with balanced outputs as well. I guess at that point you'd opt for a Freya. That said, you might find that the Vidar is a better match for the M4 anyway. (plus you'd be able to retain the Saga) Never hurts to take advantage of their 15 day audition.

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #64 on: 6 Feb 2020, 06:07 pm »
I haven't read through all of this but am going to today. This amp is on my VERY short list for my new Omega Super 3 High Output monitors.   drivers 97.5 db efficiency and no crossover. Seems like this amp would be a real good fit for these kind of speakers.

I think that sounds like a good match.

AvsFan

« Reply #65 on: 6 Feb 2020, 07:25 pm »
I have not heard a First Watt amp but I did hear the Schiit Aegir at RMAF this year and they sounded excellent.  The Schiit Salk room sounded great this year.  I did not care much for how the Schiit Vidar sounded a couple years back.  If you have the latest Stereophile issue with recommended components you will see that they gave the Schiit Aegir a class A recommendation.  There are two First Watt amps that got a class B recommendation.  I did see one post on another site, SABF, where someone preferred the Aegir over the First Watt he had.  I can't speak to which sounds better other than to say that the Aegir sounds good regardless of price and it is an amazing deal at $799.

You share my same experience. Heard the Aegirs at RMAF this year and was thoroughly impressed.  Heard the Vidars, in mono block form two years ago at RMAF and wasn't impressed at all.

AvsFan

« Reply #66 on: 6 Feb 2020, 07:26 pm »
I think that sounds like a good match.

Louis at Omega thinks so.  :D

AvsFan

« Reply #67 on: 6 Feb 2020, 07:37 pm »
What was the system composed of that you listened to the Aegir's on? Was it single or monoblocks?

This system was a giant piece of Schiit.

It was REAL good! I want the entire set up!

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #68 on: 6 Feb 2020, 08:34 pm »
This system was a giant piece of Schiit.

It was REAL good! I want the entire set up!

I was there and totally agree.  REAL good!  One of the best sounding systems at the last RMAF IMO.  The problem with mono Aegirs is that they are not rated for a 4 ohm load so may not be the best thing for less efficient 4 ohm speakers like Magnepan.  A mono Aegir may behave like a bridged amp and sees a 4 ohm load as a 2 ohm load.  That is why I am waiting for Schiit to release a higher power continuity amp that is a pure monoblock.  Especially for Maggies. 

AvsFan

« Reply #69 on: 6 Feb 2020, 11:00 pm »
I was there and totally agree.  REAL good!  One of the best sounding systems at the last RMAF IMO.  The problem with mono Aegirs is that they are not rated for a 4 ohm load so may not be the best thing for less efficient 4 ohm speakers like Magnepan.  A mono Aegir may behave like a bridged amp and sees a 4 ohm load as a 2 ohm load.  That is why I am waiting for Schiit to release a higher power continuity amp that is a pure monoblock.  Especially for Maggies.

That room was easily one of my favorites. Hell, the room could have sounded like Schiit, the speakers could have sounded like some Sony htib speakers and I would have wanted them still! They are just that sexy! But fortunately, the sound was just a sexy as the looks.

So I take it you're a Maggie owner too???? I have a pair of LRS's. Still in search of the right amplifier. These things are super demanding and have shut down 3 amps so far.

I am interested in the Aegirs because I am pairing them with my new Omega 3 HO speakers. Rated at 6ohms and 97.5 db. Aegir should play well with those speakers.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #70 on: 7 Feb 2020, 12:02 am »
That room was easily one of my favorites. Hell, the room could have sounded like Schiit, the speakers could have sounded like some Sony htib speakers and I would have wanted them still! They are just that sexy! But fortunately, the sound was just a sexy as the looks.

So I take it you're a Maggie owner too???? I have a pair of LRS's. Still in search of the right amplifier. These things are super demanding and have shut down 3 amps so far.

I am interested in the Aegirs because I am pairing them with my new Omega 3 HO speakers. Rated at 6ohms and 97.5 db. Aegir should play well with those speakers.
Can the LRS be bi-amped? That may be a better option than running the amps as mono due to not liking lower loads when running as mono.

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #71 on: 7 Feb 2020, 02:46 am »

I looked up your Omegas and they look pretty neat to me.  Made in USA like Magnepan.  No doubt a single Aegir would be a great match. 

I will be a Maggie LRS owner in about 8 weeks.  I am actually fulfilling a goal of have two systems in separate parts of the house that I can tweak and improve over time.  Systems that are very good but very different yet complementary to one another.  My main system had the Schiit Ragnarok 1, Yggdrasil and Pro-ject the classic TT.  The speakers are Spatial M3 Sapphires.  This system sounds terrific and does so many things so well that the bar is very high for a complementary system to not be a let down.  Also my main system is in the living room off our master bedroom so can't listen to them when wife is sleeping.

So my second system has NAD separates which includes a 225wpc 8 ohm amp that basically doubles its power into 4 ohms.  I have a pair of Usher Dancer Berryliums stand monitors in that system now.  They are actually very good speakers in terms of imaging and detail and were a class A Stereophile speaker.  However my Spatials are much better in every way.  My Spatials have much of what you get with Magnepan with their openness, scale, and transparency but with much more authority in the bass while still being fast and detailed being open baffle.  And they are efficient.  Now I have a grand daughter who just started walking and the Ushers are much too easy for her to push off the stands.  And the Ushers are very heavy and thus very dangerous if they fell off the stands.  So I am going to have to put them in storage or possibly sell them.  My Dad, who has Maggie 3.7i's, offered to send me a pair of Maggie LRS to take their place and I gladly accepted his gift.  Those LRS should be a good fit with the very power NAD amp in that system. And the LRS should sound as good as my Spatials in the mids and highs and be great for classical guitar, lute, and chamber music which is what I would primarily use them for.  If I like the LRS I may at least get a Rythmik sub to go with them and maybe even trade them up to a pair of 1.7i.

loki7177

« Reply #72 on: 4 Mar 2020, 05:28 pm »
I have LRS' in a smallish room, 14'x14'x8', and I listen at moderate volumes.  I have two amps that I rotate a Benchmark ABH2 200W@4ohm and a Jeff Rowland 535 400W@4ohm.  I still feel like I am not feeding them enough.  Maggies love current.  You will probably be better off with Vidars instead of Aegirs.  In Steve Guttenberg's review of the LRS' he like the Vidar pairing.

KKG

« Reply #73 on: 24 Mar 2020, 02:17 pm »

AvsFan

« Reply #74 on: 7 Apr 2020, 04:37 am »

mcmusicman

« Reply #75 on: 8 Apr 2020, 02:26 am »
Very interested in the results of the Omegas and the Aegir. Did this happen? 
Putting together a bedroom system and am struggling with the speaker pairing. Any one else have some hours on their Aegir?

daledeee

« Reply #76 on: 9 Apr 2020, 01:05 pm »
I have had my Aegir driving Crites Cornscalas for several months.  it is a beautiful sounding amp.  It runs pretty warm about 113.  It sound good right after power up and according to Stereophile "does 80% of what the XA25 will do".  I love it and the next step for me would cost several thousands more.

AvsFan

« Reply #77 on: 6 May 2020, 04:20 am »
Very interested in the results of the Omegas and the Aegir. Did this happen? 
Putting together a bedroom system and am struggling with the speaker pairing. Any one else have some hours on their Aegir?

Omega's are on their way tomorrow. Finally! Been toying with the idea of trying tube amps out with the Omega's. But don't know if I really want to go that route. Everyone in the Omega forum tells me that Omega's were made for tube amps. And that for my speaker, I probably don't want more than about 5 watts of power. 5 watts, 20 watts, there can't be that much of a difference. I am ready to make a purchase! Not hooking this system up until I have everything I want. I am really leaning towards the Aegir for price and simplicity alone. Plug and play and don't worry about it. But I don't want to just look at price and simplicity, I too am looking at the bigger picture. This hobby and love for audio is fun, but I truly want to be done. I want an end game system. I want a system that I can just listen to for the next 15 years that puts a huge smile on my face every time I turn it on. If at $799, the Aegir can do that, well that's a steal in my opinion. The speakers are super easy to drive so I don't see why this wouldn't be a good fit.

I am ready to pull the trigger on something soon. 

AvsFan

« Reply #78 on: 6 May 2020, 04:32 am »
I looked up your Omegas and they look pretty neat to me.  Made in USA like Magnepan.  No doubt a single Aegir would be a great match. 

I will be a Maggie LRS owner in about 8 weeks.  I am actually fulfilling a goal of have two systems in separate parts of the house that I can tweak and improve over time.  Systems that are very good but very different yet complementary to one another.  My main system had the Schiit Ragnarok 1, Yggdrasil and Pro-ject the classic TT.  The speakers are Spatial M3 Sapphires.  This system sounds terrific and does so many things so well that the bar is very high for a complementary system to not be a let down.  Also my main system is in the living room off our master bedroom so can't listen to them when wife is sleeping.

So my second system has NAD separates which includes a 225wpc 8 ohm amp that basically doubles its power into 4 ohms.  I have a pair of Usher Dancer Berryliums stand monitors in that system now.  They are actually very good speakers in terms of imaging and detail and were a class A Stereophile speaker.  However my Spatials are much better in every way.  My Spatials have much of what you get with Magnepan with their openness, scale, and transparency but with much more authority in the bass while still being fast and detailed being open baffle.  And they are efficient.  Now I have a grand daughter who just started walking and the Ushers are much too easy for her to push off the stands.  And the Ushers are very heavy and thus very dangerous if they fell off the stands.  So I am going to have to put them in storage or possibly sell them.  My Dad, who has Maggie 3.7i's, offered to send me a pair of Maggie LRS to take their place and I gladly accepted his gift.  Those LRS should be a good fit with the very power NAD amp in that system. And the LRS should sound as good as my Spatials in the mids and highs and be great for classical guitar, lute, and chamber music which is what I would primarily use them for.  If I like the LRS I may at least get a Rythmik sub to go with them and maybe even trade them up to a pair of 1.7i.

Yep. Very neat and a special speaker. I owned a pair a few years back and had to sell them. There is a reason I am coming back for seconds, and this time around, doubled up on the drivers. Two per speaker instead of one. This should be a very nice speaker. And the LRS's, another special and spectacular speaker. It's given me a listening experience that I have never had before in my own home. I am like you, I am in the process of creating three different listening experiences in my home. I was blessed with the extra room in my new house to do so. It's been a drea of mine to do something like this. I have my dedicated theater room with ZU Audio's, my two channel office system with the Magnepan LRS's and the Omega's to take the place of the Maggie's when they get here. I plan on moving the Maggie's down to the living room. But all three systems will be dramatically different fromeach other. Kind of like what flavor do I want today.

But you will like the LRS's. No doubt about it. As long as you feed them great, clean power and high current amplification, they will for sure reward you. Sounds like you have it covered with those NAD's if they double down into 4ohms.I went through 4 different amps until I settled on my 400 watt per channel monoblocks. Maggie's came to life with those.

TWINSKI66

« Reply #79 on: 27 Dec 2020, 04:21 am »
I’m late to the thread response...I have the Omega Super 3 HO speakers paired with the Aegir (stereo mode).  It’s a wonderful pairing...& I have no qualms.  The Aegir supplies just the right amount of power to the Omega’s and was recommend to me by Louis over at Omega speaker after I asked what would he recommend in the solid state realm for my desktop setup.  I have a LTA MZ3 for low watt listening and it’s equally befitting; requires more volume to drive the Omega’s but similar nirvana in terms of sound quality.  I’m sure there’s ‘better’ but I’m satisfied with the Aegir...exceptional engineering and value IMHO.