The "MacGyver" Thread

lacro

The "MacGyver" Thread
« on: 31 Mar 2016, 07:37 pm »
I think "Cheap and Cheerful" could use a MacGyver type thread where members can post HiFi related tips, tricks, methods, and ideas that may be useful to others.

I'll start with my Cooling Hole Template Jig

I like to build the little Class D, and other chip amps, and sometimes I want to install them in case. Being the Cheap-n-Cheerful type person I am, I don't want to buy the nice very expensive aluminum amp cases that have cooling holes drilled/milled in them. So... I buy the cheap plain (blank) aluminum cases from China.

I developed a way of creating cooling holes in a blank chassis that actually looks very good. I thought it would be good to share my idea.

I settled on a Stainless steel sink strainer that I got at a Dollar Store. Removed the plastic center section so I could use the strainer holes as a drill template. Strips of double sided tape was used to temporarily secure the strainer upside down on the chassis.

Using my cheap small bench-top drill press, I used the template guide to perfectly align where the holes go. The drill bit was only used to lightly start the holes. After removing the template, I finished drilling the holes using WD-40 as a drill lube. Each hole was de-burred/chamfered  with a hand held countersink tool.
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-in-1-hex-bit-countersink-tool-68535.html

I wanted the holes to be the same black color as the case, so I cleaned the oil residue from each hole with alcohol on a Q-tip, and using satin black spray paint that I sprayed into the can cap, painted each hole with an artists brush. Wiped the surface with paint thinner dampened rag to remove excess paint that flowed out of the holes. After a couple coats, I finished with a black marker pen to cover any missed paint spots.

I think it came out nice. It's the bottom of the chassis. The hole in the middle of the case is for something else, not cooling.

KR500

Re: The "MacGyver" Thread
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2016, 10:47 pm »
Great Tip and writeup well photographed , thanks for sharing .
I'll try to think of something to add

srb

« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2016, 11:24 pm »
Makes me want to cruise around the Dollar Store.  Hmmm ..... I wonder what can I use THAT for?  ;)

Steve

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #3 on: 1 Apr 2016, 01:43 am »
Hot damn! This sounds like a fun thread in the making.

Great tip on C and C. Now, folks are going to lie awake at night wondering what that other hole is for.  :scratch:

Odal3

« Reply #4 on: 1 Apr 2016, 03:22 am »
That looks great. :thumb: Thanks for sharing. How do you like the HF countersink tool?

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #5 on: 2 Apr 2016, 02:52 am »
Lacro, That's a very clever trick, my wife calls me MacGivor all the time because I come up with fixes for problems with what we have around the house. She also calls me magic but that's definitely going too far.

I have done a lot of what you did with the drain but I can't think of anything with audio :scratch:

Great idea for a thread by the way, I will definitely be watching this one :thumb:.

Greg

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #6 on: 2 Apr 2016, 11:33 am »
Great thread lacro, I'll be keeping my eye on it for sticky status.  We'll need to get some more examples from the members to get it there so let's hear your stories guys.  The closest I've gotten is using large rolls of black duct tape as equipment dampers, lawn ornaments as cable lifters, and fiberglass ceiling tile made into sound absorbers, but that's not really MacGyver worthy.

lacro

« Reply #7 on: 3 Apr 2016, 04:17 pm »
Great thread lacro, I'll be keeping my eye on it for sticky status.  We'll need to get some more examples from the members to get it there so let's hear your stories guys.  The closest I've gotten is using large rolls of black duct tape as equipment dampers, lawn ornaments as cable lifters, and fiberglass ceiling tile made into sound absorbers, but that's not really MacGyver worthy.

Letitroll98, I envisioned the thread being something everybody could contribute to, not just "MacGyver worthy" posts. Your examples are exactly what I was thinking. Why not show us how? Actually I am interested in your ceiling tile absorbers. We shouldn't assume everything is common knowledge. Case in point: In a couple of my photos you see some red/black wires nicely twisted together. Even though most know how this is done, I am sure there are current and future visitors that don't know. So - no matter how simple the idea, why not show it here. It may help someone.
Also, this could be a good place to ask how to do something which could produce multiple replies/ideas. Don't be bashful, contribute. This could be a fun thread. Keep it Cheap-N-Cheerful though.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 3 Apr 2016, 04:31 pm »
Perfect I will like this thread, please add more posts.

vilding

• Musician. Audiophile on a budget.
« Reply #9 on: 14 Mar 2020, 03:43 pm »
Sad that this thread didn't take off. i would love some wire twisting tips amongst other. :)

lacro

« Reply #10 on: 28 Mar 2020, 05:14 pm »
Sad that this thread didn't take off. i would love some wire twisting tips amongst other. :)

Yeah - it is sad it didn't take off with a bunch of great ideas. Anyway to answer your wire twisting tip request. Here is how I do it.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #11 on: 28 Mar 2020, 08:16 pm »
  Very helpful for many thank you.

charles

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #12 on: 29 Mar 2020, 03:53 pm »
I had some fiberglass 2x4 ceiling tiles around and decided to make some quick wall absorbers.  With the backing already there I decided to forego a wooden frame and place a couple of the one inch panels together and wrap some fabric around them secured with spray glue.  I used some oriental themed fabric from JoAnn's, you could use old sheets.  I mounted them with the 3M glue on hangers, the front side of the tiles facing the rear of the panels.  It was just a down and dirty quick experiment to see what might work, but you know, they're still together some ten years later. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #13 on: 21 Apr 2020, 06:49 pm »
What a great support for a big tube!

BobM

« Reply #14 on: 21 Apr 2020, 07:50 pm »
Here's one for you DIY guys - homemade rollerblock footers.

Simple recipe ...
(1) get some soup spoons from your local thrift shop, the rounder the better instead of oval. They should be fairly shallow without a big edge lip.
(2) pick up a bag of glass marbles at the toy store too (or if you have a source of ball bearings those are definitely better)
(3) cut some 1.5" x 1.5" squares of wood, no more than 1.4"-1/2" thick. I found leftover oak flooring to be perfect.
(4) cut the handles off the spoons with a hacksaw then file that smooth so all that's left is the spoon shape itself
(5) mark the center of one side of the wood and apply a dollop of epoxy there
(6) Place your spoon in the epoxy round side down and let it dry. Make sure it is fairly level all the way around.
(7) put your marble or ball bearing in the center of the spoon. it should be free to roll around. The top of the marble needs to be higher than the edge of the spoon, that's why you need a shallow spoon or a larger marble or ball bearing.
(8) place them under your components and see how they work. I found them to be particularly effective under CD players.