Powered speakers for TV

RoadTripper

Powered speakers for TV
« on: 17 Aug 2018, 11:22 pm »
I am looking for suggestions for powered speakers for my new smart TV (yet to be purchased). I am outfitting our new condo for TV-Audio and don't want to lug my Dynaudio BM5 MKIII across the country. I also don't want to spend that much money again.

Thanks in advance!!

Doublej

Re: Powered speakers for TV
« Reply #1 on: 18 Aug 2018, 12:41 am »
Well you would probably wind up with better sound quality wise by spending $100 to ship them to your new locale than you get from selling them and buying new one but since you asked...

The first question is remote control or no remote control on the powered speakers?

Remote, powered - AudioEngine A5+ - ~$400/pr
Non-remote, active - JBL LSR305P MKII - ~300/pr

This has been discussed a few times so search audiocircle for other options which include Kanto, Yamaha, Paradigm, PSB Audio, Focal...

Roninaudio

• I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
« Reply #2 on: 18 Aug 2018, 12:56 am »
I have my Sony sitting on a ZVOX 670 which also runs to two AudioEngine A2s. Works great for TV, Movies and background music.

OzarkTom

« Reply #3 on: 18 Aug 2018, 02:15 am »
A long time ago, I bought two refurb Sony floor standing amplified speakers with remote volume control and surround speakers. I found that when watching TV, your mind does not need a SOTA stereo system to enjoy it. You can always add amplified subs for the extra earth shattering bass if needed.

There are some very cheap surround set-ups that will work today. Usually $500 or less for the whole speaker system including sub. The 5 channel receiver can be had for around $300 or less. Less if you buy refurb.

zoom25

« Reply #4 on: 18 Aug 2018, 02:53 am »
I absolutely love my used Mackie HR 824 Mk1s for this purpose. They have endless headroom for my 60 feet deep room. Highly recommended. They also aren’t fatiguing.

MttBsh

« Reply #5 on: 18 Aug 2018, 03:22 am »
My sound system is near my TV so I use an optical out from my TV to my Yggdrasil DAC, from there the sound goes through my amps, speakers and subs. The sound is pretty much indistinguishable from my CDP through the same system. Makes watching concerts thoroughly enjoyable, or even watching the ball game!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 18 Aug 2018, 12:45 pm »
+1 for the JBL 305 Mk2.

Had them here for an afternoon.  Fresh out of the box they sounded much better than the original 305s which were disgustingly close to my Dynaudio BM5 MkIII's.  The only short coming will probably be the need to buy RCA/XLR adaptors.