Vapor Audio Nimbus Black Carbonne Edition

dex67

Re: Vapor Audio Nimbus Black Carbonne Edition
« Reply #40 on: 15 Sep 2014, 04:47 pm »
yes, I will play with re-positioning of the speakers...keep in mind that I can just change the distance between the speakers, the toe-in, and the distance from the listening position...I can't place them anywhere else in my room...

no, I didn't say that room acoustics is not important...read again...(I love it when people put words in my mouth)...what I've said, and I'll repeat, is that with few of the previous speakers I didn't seem to have the 'loose' bass problem!...I have replaced speakers and they all gave me a somewhat satisfying bass response without doing anything to the room...well, with the Nimbus, the bass can be 'boomy' on some tracks...

go ahead and post more of the face palm thingies...I love it...:)

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #41 on: 15 Sep 2014, 05:23 pm »
For node issues, radical re-placement of the speakers and or seating position would answer the question, right?
Yes. 

yes, I will play with re-positioning of the speakers...keep in mind that I can just change the distance between the speakers, the toe-in, and the distance from the listening position...I can't place them anywhere else in my room...

no, I didn't say that room acoustics is not important...read again...(I love it when people put words in my mouth)...what I've said, and I'll repeat, is that with few of the previous speakers I didn't seem to have the 'loose' bass problem!...I have replaced speakers and they all gave me a somewhat satisfying bass response without doing anything to the room...well, with the Nimbus, the bass can be 'boomy' on some tracks...

go ahead and post more of the face palm thingies...I love it... :)
Get yourself some measuring equipment and learn how to do it.  Whether you stick with these speakers or not it is the single best investment you can have for your audio hobby.  As far as wires go, that's the least of the worry...the important part is to figure out what needs to be done.  If this means using zip cord then do it.  All your're trying to do is solve an issue and understand what is causing it.  It's really simple and science does work in audio contrary to what most will say. 

sts9fan

« Reply #42 on: 15 Sep 2014, 05:41 pm »
Damaged in Shipping Edition?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #43 on: 15 Sep 2014, 05:55 pm »
Yes. 

Get yourself some measuring equipment and learn how to do it.  Whether you stick with these speakers or not it is the single best investment you can have for your audio hobby.  As far as wires go, that's the least of the worry...the important part is to figure out what needs to be done.  If this means using zip cord then do it.  All your're trying to do is solve an issue and understand what is causing it.  It's really simple and science does work in audio contrary to what most will say. 

But, but, but, learning new stuff scares me!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #44 on: 15 Sep 2014, 05:56 pm »
:lol:

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #45 on: 15 Sep 2014, 06:53 pm »

Come on, that's not helping ...

Adrian is a martial arts instructor btw, better be nice to him  :lol:

Carl V

« Reply #46 on: 15 Sep 2014, 07:38 pm »
I hope the OP will still monitor this & other threads...if he intends to participate,
is up to him. And if he could do some measurements he will at least be able to
correlate his Perceptions to his rooms 'acoustic' signature. After that it is up to
him to address his own preferences.  Very subjective. The old axiom "you don't know
what you don't know" holds quite true in many subjects.

Adrian the question of whether to Add treatments or not is a vexing question.
Not everybody will agree with the answers "science'  or not.

If were you to go to the MAGICO sound room you would see extensive treatments.

If you were able to have visited John Dunlavy @ his sound room in Colorado you would have
found a Long wall arrangement and very little treatments.  And he was a well
educated 'scientific guy'.

If you were able to go to Dr  Siegfried Linkwitz home you would see very little
acoustic treatment, however he moves his chair and occasionally his speakers.
And it is generally agreed he is a well educated man of science with good ears.

Toole & Welti amongst others at Harmon international don't use a good
deal of room treatments. And they too have good ears, good degrees & good
audiophile experience.

Dynaudio uses well trained employees to evaluate their speakers in a well treated
room. They also measure extensively.

Peter Snell used very little treatments but moved both speakers & chair.

Avalon Speakers uses extensive Acoustic treatments. And careful placement.

Mr Cardas has mentioned on his site to move both speaker & chair.

Many years ago an acquaintance was selecting Mastering speakers
He ultimately chose ATC SCM 300. His preferences & perceptions
were both good & valid.  His Monitoring room was extensively treated
his mastering room not so much.

Good luck.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #47 on: 15 Sep 2014, 07:43 pm »
Come on, that's not helping ...

Adrian is a martial arts instructor btw, better be nice to him  :lol:

Yes you are right, sorry about that.  It was more an observation of the hobby in general than this person in particular.  But bad manners, either way.

BobRex

« Reply #48 on: 15 Sep 2014, 07:50 pm »
At the base (as opposed to bass) level, you really don't need much in tools.  An Iphone or Ipad, or even an Andriod I think, a free app RTA, and some pink noise will get you 90% there.  So don't be afraid of the investment.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #49 on: 15 Sep 2014, 08:59 pm »
At the base (as opposed to bass) level, you really don't need much in tools.  An Iphone or Ipad, or even an Andriod I think, a free app RTA, and some pink noise will get you 90% there.  So don't be afraid of the investment.

Duh, I never thought of that and have both an iPhone and iPad. Can you make some recommendations as to apps?

verdun47

« Reply #50 on: 15 Sep 2014, 09:25 pm »
Carl V:  v good sense of perspective you bought to the subject. Thanks.

Jim Smith in his 'Get Better Sound' book, writes extensively about moving speakers and chair.

Separately: I like that a poster can be adult and say 'You're right, bad manners.' No name/s cos it could apply to me (my wonderful wife is educating me!).

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #51 on: 15 Sep 2014, 10:29 pm »
I hope the OP will still monitor this & other threads...if he intends to participate,
is up to him. And if he could do some measurements he will at least be able to
correlate his Perceptions to his rooms 'acoustic' signature. After that it is up to
him to address his own preferences.  Very subjective. The old axiom "you don't know
what you don't know" holds quite true in many subjects.

Adrian the question of whether to Add treatments or not is a vexing question.
Not everybody will agree with the answers "science'  or not.

If were you to go to the MAGICO sound room you would see extensive treatments.

If you were able to have visited John Dunlavy @ his sound room in Colorado you would have
found a Long wall arrangement and very little treatments.  And he was a well
educated 'scientific guy'.

If you were able to go to Dr  Siegfried Linkwitz home you would see very little
acoustic treatment, however he moves his chair and occasionally his speakers.
And it is generally agreed he is a well educated man of science with good ears.

Toole & Welti amongst others at Harmon international don't use a good
deal of room treatments. And they too have good ears, good degrees & good
audiophile experience.

Dynaudio uses well trained employees to evaluate their speakers in a well treated
room. They also measure extensively.

Peter Snell used very little treatments but moved both speakers & chair.

Avalon Speakers uses extensive Acoustic treatments. And careful placement.

Mr Cardas has mentioned on his site to move both speaker & chair.

Many years ago an acquaintance was selecting Mastering speakers
He ultimately chose ATC SCM 300. His preferences & perceptions
were both good & valid.  His Monitoring room was extensively treated
his mastering room not so much.

Good luck.

I do understand all that, and the fact that room treatments aren't the only answer.  Honestly education is the only answer, and then making informed choices from there. 

Every room however does have a signature.  Whether it's objectionable or not given the way it interacts with speakers is another story.  But speakers measure much differently at 4m in a room than they do at 1m, that's because at 4m you're seeing the sum of room+speakers, where at the closer distance you're predominantly seeing just the speakers, at least down to low frequencies. 

Now plugging in dimensions of 22'x20'x8' into the many online room mode calculators shows that there are strong Axial modes at 25.8hz and 28hz.  Axial modes are the most energetic and impactful, and those modes are very low in frequency.  Also being very close to the same frequency, they're going to have the effect of amplifying each other. 

dex67

« Reply #52 on: 16 Sep 2014, 08:35 pm »
tyson and jtwrace, i'm glad that you guys are a happy bunch…as for me learning new stuff…hmmm…after spending 28 years of school and getting 2 PhD's in the science field, i'm pretty sure that learning new stuff doesn't scare me…you guys go ahead and entertain yourselves…:)

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #53 on: 16 Sep 2014, 09:24 pm »
Oh they will, don't you worry.  :lol:

*Scotty*

« Reply #54 on: 16 Sep 2014, 10:27 pm »
dex67, here is a potential alternative approach to producing flat bass response in most listening rooms.
Controlled Acoustically Bass System(CABS)
http://vbn.aau.dk/files/12831869/AC-phd.pdf
Scotty

Rclark

« Reply #55 on: 16 Sep 2014, 11:47 pm »
Hello all,

I'm new here so please be gentle.  :D

I just wanted to post few pics of my Nimbus Black speakers that have carbon fiber coating applied on the back and on the top. This automotive wrap, not only covers some cosmetic mishaps that happened during shipping, but it also matches the base of the speakers.

Enjoy,
Adrian

P.S. I've replaced the Music Culture MC701 int amp with a Jolida Fusion tube preamp and Emerald Physics 100.2 monoblocks.

These are some of the best looking speakers I've ever seen. I'm sure they sound just ridiculous too.

dex67

« Reply #56 on: 24 Sep 2014, 02:59 pm »
a little update...for folks that kept asking me about the issue with the shipping company....I'm happy to report that everything got resolved to my satisfaction...no point in talking about it anymore....

adrian

dex67

« Reply #59 on: 2 Oct 2014, 04:06 pm »
errr, what's missing from my ad? I mentioned that the carbon fiber wrap was applied to cover some imperfections that occurred during shipping...the speakers work and look as new...the shipping problems caused only some aesthetic defects that were taking care of...any interested buyers will receive the whole story...until then, tire kickers and people that have nothing better to do, remain part of the daily entertainment...:)