Troubleshooting Cherry STM Amplifier

lewdogg

Troubleshooting Cherry STM Amplifier
« on: 30 Apr 2022, 05:06 pm »
For the last couple months my Cherry STM has stopped playing music 2-3 seconds after starting. When turning off power to the stack it starts playing a split second before shutting off then starts playing again for 2-3 seconds after turning it back on. Since I can't get support for the unit any longer, I took it apart to look around. The only thing I noticed is a cap that's pushing in the PSU. Is it possible this is the cause of the problem? Any help is appreciated. TIA!

LarryD56

Re: Troubleshooting Cherry STM Amplifier
« Reply #1 on: 30 Apr 2022, 06:08 pm »
   It's most likely that the bulging cap is your problem. I had an LG computer monitor (just out of warranty) that had bulging caps that quit working. Once I replaced the bad bulging Chinese caps with Japanese Nichicons it has worked without a hiccup for almost ten years. I suspect that any of the other caps that have the same value should also be replaced. Buy from someone like Mouser who purchases their supply directly from the manufacturer. The Chinese are good at counterfeiting and get their products on eBay and similar places. I have had no problems with Nichicon caps from Mouser.

Let us know how it goes. I really like my STM.

Larry D.

LarryD56

« Reply #2 on: 30 Apr 2022, 08:38 pm »
   Also, let us know what the make/brand and value is of the faulty capacitor is. I would want to make sure those are not in my STM also. Since Cherry is no longer in business I wouldn't mind opening up my amps and to take a look at what's inside. I didn't want to do it while they were under warranty, but I guess it doesn't matter now. I'd paid for a DAC DAC 3 and I guess that will never happen either. Oh well....

L.D.

lewdogg

« Reply #3 on: 5 May 2022, 04:01 pm »
Took the PSU board out and found a couple things after removing the cap. I'm a bit concerned this is the real problem...

The cap that was bulging...

lewdogg

« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2022, 07:12 pm »
If anyone cares, replacing the cap fixed the problem. I only tried using it for a short period of time but no cutouts as of yet. Will update the thread of anything changes.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2022, 07:21 pm »
If anyone cares, replacing the cap fixed the problem. I only tried using it for a short period of time but no cutouts as of yet. Will update the thread of anything changes.

Glad you were able to get it going again.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2022, 07:31 pm »
Great work!!  What is that burnt looking piece under the corner of the yellow plastic sheet?

Nick B

« Reply #7 on: 11 May 2022, 05:39 am »

Great! Have been following this thread

jonbee

« Reply #8 on: 12 May 2022, 01:24 am »
Great to have at least one candle in the dark.
It great to help extend the life of these great amps.