My new/old Cirrus Blacks

Carl V

Re: My new/old Cirrus Blacks
« Reply #20 on: 29 Jun 2014, 06:42 pm »
Nice system, nice room....congratulations.
((great customer service BTW))
Chairs are a personal preference thing...
Some might argue that a chair which comes up over
& around your head will alter the sound or Sound-field which
you have worked so hard to create... or recreate in your room.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #21 on: 30 Jun 2014, 04:26 am »
Well it’s been about 2 month’s since receiving my pair of Cirrus and I wanted to give a quick update to how I’m getting on. I have made a few changes to my system including a new DAC and rolled some new tubes into my integrated and Cirrus continues to shine. The only issue I am having now is I’m not discovering any new music because I ‘m spending so much time going back and listening to stuff in my collection to re-experience it with the Cirrus. Ryan continues to be a great supporter and I’m hoping next time he is in my neck of the woods he can spend some time in my room to provide additional feedback on setup.

Below is an updated picture of my room. We just had new carpet put and I’m going to be looking into a comfy chair which is why you see a kitchen chair in the picture. I would welcome any recommendations on a good listening chair.

Looks like it's coming together nicely!  I'll gladly come by when I'm in the area next, which should be soon ...

From that picture, I might suggest a hair more toe-in ... just play with it and see what you think of the effect.  You could probably even move them more out left and right after adding some toe.  Try moving your chair closer as well. 

With a high back thick padded chair, you get an effect similar to having a much deeper room.  As long as the back is above ear level it'll act to block all reflections from the back wall from reaching your ears.  Even in my very well treated room it made a nice improvement. 

DS-21

« Reply #22 on: 30 Jun 2014, 07:52 am »
***Below is an updated picture of my room. We just had new carpet put and I’m going to be looking into a comfy chair which is why you see a kitchen chair in the picture. I would welcome any recommendations on a good listening chair.

What else do you plan to do in the room?

IMO one thing to consider if aesthetics aren't a huge issue is a nice task chair. A good one is extremely comfortable. In the middle of last decade I "test drove" everything out there and ended up finding one called the Contessa by a company called Teknion to be the best fit for me. There are newer ones from the usual suspects (Herman Miller, Knoll, Humanscale, Steelcase, etc.) but I haven't looked into them. (Was going to take my wife task chair shopping last year, but she ended up falling in love with a vintage Emeco secretary's chair at a vintage shop.)

I would strongly recommend against a chair with a large headrest (Eames chaise, etc.), because it will affect both imaging and spectral balance.