Copy hard drive from one Bluesound to another

deadhead

Copy hard drive from one Bluesound to another
« on: 5 Jun 2018, 11:17 pm »
Last year I purchased a Bluesound Vault for my beach house.  I love the simplicity of having one source with no one handling my CD's.  In the fall I moved it to my house and now use it on my distributed system.  I've ripped about 3000 CD's and want to replicate the library onto a Node and take that to the beach.  Has anyone done this and had success?  Do I need to load the file onto my laptop and then transfer it to the new device?

I've searched the Bluesound website to no avail.

audio.bill

Re: Copy hard drive from one Bluesound to another
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jun 2018, 11:27 pm »
The internal hard drive on the Vault should be visible as a network drive on a PC so you can copy files from it with a file manager program. However the Node does not provide internal storage so you can't copy 3000 ripped CDs to a Node. You should be able to copy some of the rips onto a USB flash drive which you can connect to the Node and access them, but am not sure whether it will support connection of a full size external hard drive.

deadhead

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jun 2018, 11:59 pm »
Sounds like a call to Bluesound is in order.  If I can use an outboard hard drive that would make sense.  I'd hate to buy another Vault to make this work.

audio.bill

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jun 2018, 12:09 am »
Did a quick search for you about this possibility and it seems as though you can connect a portable external hard drive (like a WD My Passport which requires no additional power supply). This thread confirms that it can be done with a 1TB drive: https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/ss-hard-drive-with-bluesound-node-2

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #4 on: 8 Jun 2018, 10:29 am »
Try here; the forum where Bluesounds gives answers themselves
https://helpdesk.bluesound.com/discussions/

srb

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jun 2018, 11:45 am »
Storing music on a Node-attached USB drive is indexed differently than a network share and not generally recommended as an extended or permanent storage solution.

"BluOS Players are equipped with a USB connection port. This USB port, located on the rear panel, is designed for plug-and-play listening of music stored on USB memory sticks. The port can be used to connect mass storage devices but does have limitations. BluOS firmware handles this type of plug-and-play storage device differently than a Local Library, as it is temporary and not for extended listening"

https://support1.bluesound.com/hc/en-us/articles/201158077-How-USB-Storage-Differs-From-A-Local-Library