Program that will put FLAC files into artist/album directories?

ctviggen

Hi All,

Way back when (2006 or so) I started ripping my CDs to FLAC format, I didn't know what I was doing and selected whatever the options were for the program I was using at the time.  The program ripped everything into a single folder, without subfolders.  That is, when I look at my FLAC music folder, I have many (100s of?) songs in the folder.  At some point, I either switched programs and/or settings, and started ripping everything into properly named folders.  Thus, there is now a "Jack Johnson" folder, and under that folder are folders with CD/album names, and then under those are the songs that belong to albums. 

Is there a program that would go through the folder, determine what songs go with which albums, set up a folder for the album under the artist, and also perhaps set up a folder for the artist if not done already, and copy the songs into the correct folder? 

Or do I have to spend a weekend or so doing this?

Thank you for the help.

dB Cooper

Are the files in folders, one album per folder, now?

Phil A

What program(s) are you currently using to play (and tag) music?

PSB Guy

If this happened to me, I would just re-rip everything. Get a good program like dBPoweramp or Foobar and rip them properly.

Cornelis

skunark

You can try
https://picard.musicbrainz.org/
http://beets.io ( command line only )

With any of these programs do backup the files or be prepared to rerip.

ctviggen

Thank you for the replies.  The folder structure looks like the following.  The info between the { and } is what I added.

Music {main folder}
{Tons of individual songs <--These are what I want to organize}
ABBA {folder by artist's name; the rest of these are organized and I don't want to touch them}
     The Definitive Collection, Disc 1
          Songs for this album
     The Definitive Collection, Disc 2
          Songs for this album
Adele {folder by artist's name}

I'm currently using dB Power amp to rip the CDs, and have been using this for many years.  This also adds the (not always correct) metadata for the CDs, creates a folder by artist and then by CD name.  I was previously using another highly regarded program, whose name I do not remember. If I run into an issue, I use MP3 Tag to correct everything.

To re-rip these, I'd (a) have to find the CDs, which are in many, many folders in my basement, and (b) figure out which are not correct, and (c) re-rip those.  Out of 816 albums, maybe 1/5th or so are not in folders. It's hard to know because I can't count the number of songs, and of course there are multiple songs per CD. Also, some of the CDs are ruined, as I used them in my car and scratched them/broke them/lost them.  There are quite a few I could not replace. 

I'll try one of those programs and see what happens.

Vincent Kars

• The Well Tempered Computer
    • The Well Tempered Computer
Media players often offer
-   Generate tags from file name,
-   Generate path/filename from tags; this is the option you need
-   Auto organize (Artist/Album/track most of the time); might be useful as well

If you’re media player doesn’t, try any piece of freeware like MusicBee, Foobar, etc
Don’t re-rip, that is a very time consuming way to destroy all the edits you have done up to now.