OPPO SONICA DAC MODS - UNIT ON THE WAY TO MWI NOW!!!

JMosch

Re: OPPO SONICA DAC MODS - UNIT ON THE WAY TO MWI NOW!!!
« Reply #20 on: 15 Feb 2017, 08:39 pm »
This sounds very interesting as a TP upgrade.

Personally, I can't live with a computer running in my listening room, so I run ethernet to the TP and everything is cool.

So what are the capabilities of the ethernet connection?

The Oppo website just mentions USB, which brings up the question of how long can you run a USB from a PC?

dminches

« Reply #21 on: 15 Feb 2017, 08:49 pm »
You have a lot of options.  One of them is to build a headless, passively cooled computer which just sits there and looks like an audio component.  Another approach is to use a product like Sonore's microRendu which is fed via ethernet and connects to the the DAC via USB.

jackox

« Reply #22 on: 15 Feb 2017, 09:58 pm »
And Dirac room correction is in the works as well, to be provided as a future firmware update…

Ajay

If this is accurate then the Sonica will be one of the most versatile and advanced networked DAC ever made with no match at this price!

ajayrav

« Reply #23 on: 15 Feb 2017, 11:36 pm »
If this is accurate then the Sonica will be one of the most versatile and advanced networked DAC ever made with no match at this price!

Here is what Oppo said when I emailed them

"DIRAC is still being worked on with no anticipated ETA. It is currently scheduled for the Sonica speakers, but it may be added to the Sonica DAC as well."

So not definite yet, but likely…. Given the speakers and DAC share the common Sonica platform.

Ajay

talk2me

« Reply #24 on: 17 Feb 2017, 01:15 am »
I believe it is simply a firmware upgrade.  It might be worth asking Oppo if they have intentions of doing so.

I asked Oppo about MQA for my 103 and was told "no".

modwright

« Reply #25 on: 17 Feb 2017, 01:25 am »
Don't know about MQA.

I am moving into the final stages for the new fully balanced tube analog circuit - completely new design!

Dan

SoCalWJS

« Reply #26 on: 24 Feb 2017, 03:55 pm »
So how's it going on the Sonica Dan? Any updates?

modwright

« Reply #27 on: 24 Feb 2017, 05:56 pm »
I am close to finalizing the new tube circuit design and I will install it in the DAC and test next.  This is a much more sophisticated fully balanced circuit than we have used in the past and I expect it to be better in every way! I finalized the analog filtering yesterday.  The analog stage by itself is flat from 20Hz - 150Khz.  Obviously there needs to be analog filtering to deal with the ultra-high frequency noise from DSD recordings.  The use of signal transformers accomplishes some of this for us, by nature of their limiting ultra-high frequency signals by nature. I now have the analog filter installed to have a sharp cut-off at the 100Khz range and an appropriately less steep rolloff at 60Khz.

This same circuit, once perfected, will also be applied to the UHD-205!

Thanks,

Dan

modwright

« Reply #28 on: 1 Mar 2017, 06:52 pm »
OK, progress being made...

I have the I-V stage wrapped and analog filtering is also good.

Now I am working out isolating a ultra HF master clock issue in the analog domain.  Making good progress, just a few more hurdles to get over.

This is going to be GREAT!!!

Dan

KLH007

« Reply #29 on: 1 Mar 2017, 08:11 pm »
Dan, We are all anticipating your new circuit for the latest OPPO kit, can hardly wait to hear them.

modwright

« Reply #30 on: 1 Mar 2017, 08:55 pm »
Thanks!  Getting closer.  This is an entirely new design and I am very excited about it!

KLH007

« Reply #31 on: 1 Mar 2017, 09:08 pm »
Dan, In an earlier post you mentioned putting a LS100 between the Sonica and a 150SE and how much better it sounded with tubes. Are you designing your new fully balanced tube output stage with the idea of running direct into an amp, or will that just be a happy coincidence of the new circuit?

modwright

« Reply #32 on: 1 Mar 2017, 09:23 pm »
Glad you asked!  It is my intent to design this such that it can be used either way without any loss.  The new SABRE DAC has even more dynamic headroom and even lower noise floor, so I see no reason why it would be a problem.

Thanks,

Dan

KLH007

« Reply #33 on: 2 Mar 2017, 01:22 am »
Nice Dan, Will you be retaining the RCA analog input? Does it stay analog, or is there an A/D conversion? ModWright Sonica and KWA 150 SE could be a killer combo.
Kemper

rbbert

« Reply #34 on: 2 Mar 2017, 01:38 am »
What tubes will you be using in the analog section?  I'm assuming (as you suggested) that that section will be similar for the UDP-205 (which is really what I am waiting for)?

KLH007

« Reply #35 on: 2 Mar 2017, 04:26 am »
I'm betting it's the 5687s he's been using in the Marantz mod?

modwright

« Reply #36 on: 2 Mar 2017, 04:32 pm »
To be honest, the tubes will either be 6922, 6SN7 or 5687.

With this circuit, I am not 100% sure which yet.

Thanks,

Dan

LarryMagoo

« Reply #37 on: 3 Mar 2017, 09:47 pm »
Dan,

Do you know how much your Sonica Mod will cost?    I'm a big fan of Oppo.   Currently run their HA-1 with my HD800S driven by my Mac mini with custom PS.   Also waiting on their 205...which I'm sure you guys will also modify.

Cheers,
Larry

modwright

« Reply #38 on: 8 Mar 2017, 12:35 am »
OK guys, I have the bread-boarded circuit playing in the music room now!  I am running it direct to the amp to make sure that it is quiet and I am very pleased!

I have it designed with 6922 tubes at the moment.  The 5687 is also a great tube, but I think that with the SABRE DAC, the 6922 may be the better choice.  There is also the possibility of using the 6SN7 again, but I have to see how it works with this fully differential, transformer coupled circuit.

The Sonica is TRULY the modern day replacement for the Slim Devices (Logitech) Transporter.  Ethernet, WiFi, Blue Tooth, Apple Airplay, USB (thumb drive or computer/server), RCA, toslink digital inputs. It even has analog inputs, which are then converted to digital and decoded in order to allow for volume control.  This makes sense if this is your primary source and you have one other analog source that you also want to run. Otherwise, you could have a myriad of different digital sources connected to different inputs also.

For Example:

• Analog tuner or other analog device into analog inputs.  The signal will be converted to digital and then decoded, but it will all pass through the DAC and tube analog stage.
  • Main music server connected via USB, ethernet or WiFi.
  • Music from your phone via blue tooth.
  • Music from a Sonos unit into the Coax or toslink digital inputs.
  • CD's played from a CD/DVD player as a transport into Coax or toslink digital inputs.
  • Music from Mac computer via Airplay.

Pricing is expected to be in line with our other mods, starting at $2500 (mod only) for full tube mod with external PS 9.0 (tube rectified but not regulated - sounds best for this model) supply and Truth umbilical.  Audio Magic Pulse Gen and Bybee rails will be evaluated also.

The tube circuit is fully differential, end to end, Lundahl transformer coupled in and out.  Passive I-V, no op-amps, zero negative feedback. Fully balanced and Single Ended (RCA) outs. Like our other mods, because of the transformer coupling, it will work well with RCA OR XLR, but not both at the same time.  I may add a toggle for selecting RCA or XLR, not sure yet.

I am very excited!  This mod takes full advantage of the newest SABRE DAC chip and its full resolution and low noise floor.

More to come!

Expect to see the Sonica DAC at Axpona!

Thanks,

Dan

KLH007

« Reply #39 on: 8 Mar 2017, 02:41 am »
I'm looking forward to hearing this in Chicago!