NS3 collaboration with a new take or spin (which ever you prefer)

Randall Kepley

• Industry Participant
  • Kepley Custom Cabinets & Furniture
Great work Randall !!
As a novice diy'er I was wondering if you could tell me how you attach
the front baffle to the enclosure ?
Is it removable ??

I can only hope my project turns out half as well...
Thanks for the pictures    :thumb:

The front baffles are not removable. All alignment is done through biscuits. The biscuits are first glued into place in the speaker. Next the glue is applied into the remaining biscuit slots. Before the 2 are assembled a bead of sylicone is applied to the front of the speaker and the two are joined together w/ clamps. Air tight seal!. R.K.

Randall Kepley

• Industry Participant
Randall...

:notworthy:

Can't wait to send you my business, and I am so stoked that you are close by...

Anand.

Send it on Anand, Im ready when you are.  :thumb: R.K.

grubyhalo

Beautiful!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
How do they sound?

Well, I got home tonight and fired them up.  WOW!  I remember the N2X's sounding really good but these seem to be a notch above them from what I can remember. 

I'm very impressed with the GR Speakers.  They prove that one doesn't need to break the bank to get stellar sound for a reasonable cost.  Whether you build them or have them semi built (like me) you can't go wrong. 

They really are the real deal!   :thumb:

I must say that Danny is excellent to work with too.   :thumb:

Again, thanks to Randall for beautiful cabinets.

Danny Richie

Well, I have to thank you guys for posting pics and impressions. Thank you both very much.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
Well, I have to thank you guys for posting pics and impressions. Thank you both very much.

Next I'll post some measurements.   :D

Ron

The N2X are wonderful sounding speakers, but I agree  the performance of the N3S is a indeed a notch above them. The N3S not only have higher sensitivity,but also have a wider dynamic range and a larger sound field. With the Platinum bypass caps in the crossover their  performance is kicked up to even  a higher performance level with greater detail and an increased sence of space between musical instruments. Also, I agree with your opinion of Danny. I too have always found him to be very easy to deal with, knowledgeable, and helpful. Danny is a really great guy.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
Here are the N3S Measurements from 30" away from the center of the tweeter. 
Red=Left
Blue=Right

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Thanks for posting the on axis measurements Jtwrace. The two speakers look to be very closely matched.

You newbies should learn something or two from Jt. He knew very little about how to measure over 6 months ago. Now look at him. His perseverance should be revered. He'll measure any transducer that sets foot in his house!

Great work, and the speakers look divine.

Anand.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
Thanks for posting the on axis measurements Jtwrace. The two speakers look to be very closely matched.
Yes they are. 

You newbies should learn something or two from Jt. He knew very little about how to measure over 6 months ago. Now look at him. His perseverance should be revered. He'll measure any transducer that sets foot in his house!

:oops: Well, I did but just not at the level I can today.  HolmImpluse has made the whole experience so much nicer.  It works every time I go to use it.  You are correct, any transducer that comes in, gets measured!  I was hoping to do these outside but time got in the way.  I really wanted to make sure they were a matched pair. 

Randall Kepley

• Industry Participant
Finaly got to hear them this weekend and I must say I was very impressed w/ what I heard! I knew the speakers were built to exact spec's . Nothing on this build was done in the conventinal manner. There was not 1 tape measure used on this build , nor was it CNC'd . Everything was layed out w/ dial calipers and a compass. Now mind you the N3'S isnt an overly complicated design I went at it w/ the mindset that if Danny had designed it to be layed out to a certain spec that part was going to be cut and installed into the "EXACT" location on the prints. Not off by a few thou or misaligned part no matter how insignificant and I can say it was spot on on the build. The veneer and the finish is just eye candy, the beauty is whats inside the box. Now on to Danny.... Man has this guy got a GIFT! ! ! !

As I said this was the first time I got to hear them this weekend at Jasons and I was blown away by them , I knew I had done my end of the deal w/ the cabinets but what Danny does is ... well I just dont have have the words. I am very excited at the future builds I will be participating in Featuring  Dannys Genius but if this could be summed up in one word to me it would be incredible!

As I said before, this man has a GIFT. R.K.
« Last Edit: 28 Sep 2011, 01:27 am by Randall Kepley »

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
Finaly got to hear them this weekend and I must say I was very impressed w/ what I heard! I knew the speakers were built to exact spec's . Nothing on this build was done in the conventinal manner. There was not 1 tape measure used on this build , nor was it CNC'd . Everything was layed out w/ dial calipers and a compass. Now mind you the NS'3 isnt an overly complicated design I went at it w/ the mindset that if Danny had designed it to be layed out to a certain spec that part was going to be cut and installed into the "EXACT" location on the prints. Not off by a few thou or misaligned part no matter how insignificant and I can say it was spot on on the build. The veneer and the finish is just eye candy, the beauty is whats inside the box. Now on to Danny.... Man has this guy got a GIFT! ! ! !

As I said this was the first time I got to hear them this weekend at Jasons and I was blown away by them , I knew I had done my end of the deal w/ the cabinets but what Danny does is ... well I just dont have have the words. I am very excited at the future builds I will be participating in Featuring  Dannys Genius but if this could be summed up in one word to me it would be incredible!

As I said before, this man has a GIFT. R.K.

Glad you enjoyed yourself!   :thumb:

The N3S speakers are really great.

cody69

Nice attention to detail... I like the veneer match on the top and the veneered reveal around the baffle... nicely done! The black textured baffle goes really well with the dark tone of the veneer.

Danny Richie

Yes. Beautiful work!

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
delivery for these is this weekend.... :hyper:

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
Those speakers look great! :thumb:

What a nice present for your Dad.  I will be making a point to go hear Danny's room at RMAF this year.

I have yet to build any of his kits but am very interested in hearing the Super V's in Denver.

Randy

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
Alright, delivered and setup!  My dad is really stoked wtih them so far.  He has ordered a new amp which is due in 3-4 wks and he's really looking forward to it. 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
And one last of them in the final resting place...

Powered via Threshold T2, Odyssey Audio Stratos Stereo Extreme, Mac Mini, Music Fidelity M1 Dac and Rythmik Audio F12 Sub.  Not a bad second system!

Danny Richie