What ever happened to the AV-1 reviews

george king

« on: 6 Jan 2003, 10:15 pm »
I am really interested in the results of the AV-1 auditions.   Does anyone know when or where they will be posted?

Thanks in advance

jackman

« Reply #1 on: 6 Jan 2003, 11:13 pm »
I've got to get going from work but will put some feedback together this evening.

J

theranman

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jan 2003, 07:15 am »
George-

I presently have the demo AV-1s and listened to them with Jackman last Saturday. As it so happens, I also brought along my ACI Emeralds for the sake of comparison. To sum things up, I really enjoy the AV-1s. They're a very nice sounding pair of speakers...especially for the money. Nice soundstage, fairly dynamic, and pretty smooth sounding. They'll really pull you into the music. In comparison to the Emeralds, the AV-1s seemed to have just a slight bit more bass and I suspect that if really pushed, it won't distort quite as quickly as the Emeralds. Also, the Emeralds seemed to have a slight bit more emphasis in the highs, while the AV-1s had a slight bit more emphasis in the mids by comparison. Danny states that the AV-1s measure pretty flat though.
All told, the AV-1 is a really nice speaker...not just for the money, but a nice speaker period. And Brian Bunge's cabinetry work is exemplary. I think you'd be really happy.

Randy

ps- I still have them in the Chicago area, but will be shipping them to Houston tomorrow or Thursday at the latest. If anybody wants to hear them in the Chicago area, they'd better speak to Danny pretty darned quick.

george king

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jan 2003, 02:58 pm »
Theranman,

Thanks for the reply.  I am ordering the kit for my birthday in Feb, but I am doing so based solely on all of the rave reviews for the speaker.  I am moving from an older pair of Kef Q15s, and am hoping to get the biggest improvement for music, which I am returning to.

If I may ask (to give me a better context for the sound), what commerical speakers do the AV-1's most sound like?

Thanks in advance

jackman

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jan 2003, 04:21 pm »
I'll take this one, even though I don't have a direct comparison.  The AV1's are very neutral and should be a significant step up from your current speakers.  They are very smooth and perform well on all types of music.  I prefer them to the nOrh 4.0's, and ACI Saphires (although  the Saphires have more detail).  GR did a very nice job on the crossovers.  The new models sound much better than the older AV1's I listened to last year.  The older ones had the woofer on the top and were a very early incarnation of this design.  You have made a good choice.

J

george king

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jan 2003, 11:06 pm »
jackman,

thanks for the reply.  I am really looking forward to this.  I bought some unfinished cabinents from Brian (great craftsmanship), and I already have them finished and lined with Blackhole 5.  All I need is the kit, and hopefully I will be in sonic nirvana (at least for awhile). :mrgreen:

Al Garay

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jan 2003, 02:47 am »
George,

I highly recommend you upgrade to the Sonicap capacitors.

Al

george king

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jan 2003, 03:06 pm »
Al,

Thanks, I was planning to do so, but any words of support are always welcome.

:o