RIP Joao Gilberto

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated

Tomy2Tone

Re: RIP Joao Gilberto
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jul 2019, 01:33 pm »
Oh wow.  I just recently discovered his and Astrud’s albums. Beautiful music, RIP.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 7 Jul 2019, 08:27 pm »
I still find myself drawn to that Brazilian sound in Getz and Sergio Mendes.  Mr. Gilberto may be gone, but his mark on the world persist. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 7 Jul 2019, 09:04 pm »
Here João Gilberto in São Paulo 2008 with his favorite microphone an inexpensive 5 way multi purpose Sennheiser of $700, that he had to carry one in his luggage because the theaters he played in did not have decent microphones offering bad sound to the audience and making it difficult for Jõao to hear his own voice.

João was an audiophile with his sound so by this concern with the quality of sound that the public listened the musical press labeled him of eccentric and very demanding.
RIP

João Donato and João Gilberto.

« Last Edit: 7 Jul 2019, 11:28 pm by FullRangeMan »

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jul 2019, 09:46 pm »
I still find myself drawn to that Brazilian sound in Getz and Sergio Mendes.  Mr. Gilberto may be gone, but his mark on the world persist.

What Sergio Mendes albums can you recommend? I feel like a kid in a candy store with this kind of music.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #5 on: 7 Jul 2019, 10:03 pm »
What Sergio Mendes albums can you recommend? I feel like a kid in a candy store with this kind of music.
Herb Alpert Presents Sergio Mendes,  Fool on the Hill, and Look Around are my favorites. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 7 Jul 2019, 10:16 pm »
A rare Gilberto interview to Amauri Jr. first question about João perfectionism answered by friend and music journalist Nelson Motta, later João said that he like a unknow singer called Roberto Silva.
https://amauryjr.blog.bol.uol.com.br/2019/07/06/assista-a-rara-entrevista-de-joao-gilberto-concedida-a-tv/
João Gilberto, Elba Ramalho and Amaury Jr.
« Last Edit: 7 Jul 2019, 11:34 pm by FullRangeMan »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 8 Jul 2019, 02:57 pm »
Roberto Silva(*1920 - †2012) hits:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emyrVksNqDk

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #8 on: 8 Jul 2019, 06:28 pm »
Another master gone.

https://www.npr.org/2019/07/06/739224759/jo-o-gilberto-master-of-bossa-nova-dies-at-88

Yes a Master lost however his music will live forever. Rest in peace Joao.

charles

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 10 Jul 2019, 04:34 pm »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 11 Jul 2019, 11:40 pm »
The incredible life of João Gilberto in the showbiz in detail and personal life:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tkld7ASYWcI