A/V-3 Height

Ronno6

A/V-3 Height
« on: 7 Mar 2008, 04:37 pm »
I'm sure this topic has been addressed before, but, here goes again:

What is the optimum height for the A/V-3 tweeter? I've read that it should be centered at the height of the listener's ear, in our case about 42". the standard A/V-3 tweeter is 34.25" from the floor. What to do (if anything) about the difference? Will raising the speaker enclosure cause a de-coupling from the floor? My projector screen is 35" off the floor, and 54" high (110" diag.)

My A/v-3's are the mains in my HT setup, with a SW-12A sub crossed over at 80hz, Yamaha RX-Z9 receiver,
modified Insignia 6 1/2's for surround and front presence speakers, A/V-1RS for rear surrounds. Room is 14'w    X 19'6" long X 7"10" high. Carpeted floor, acoustic tile ceiling, paneled walls. I'm getting set to address the acoustic issues in the room, but I really need to know the answer to this height question. Thanks

Danny Richie

Re: A/V-3 Height
« Reply #1 on: 7 Mar 2008, 06:10 pm »
You have some tall seats.

Fortunately the response of the A/V-3 varies vary little by moving up or down a few feet at your listening distance.

Just to satisfy your curiosity try tilting the speaker up a little and see if there is any change. You can adjust the height of the spikes or even remove the rear spikes to get real extreme.

Ronno6

« Reply #2 on: 7 Mar 2008, 06:17 pm »
Thank, Danny. Not so much that the seats are tall, I'm guilty of the majority of that offense. I'll try the tilt angle (pun intended.) As I have not applied finish to the cabinets, could I just extend the cabinet another 8" of so (not the transmission line itself,tho.) I am unsure if it is the cabinet itself or the port that achieves the coupling effect with the floor. Mine are front-ported BTW. Thanks.

So many questions, so little time...................

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 7 Mar 2008, 06:22 pm »
A tall guy huh?

If you like you can make it taller by adding solid MDF pieces stacked on top of each other to give it a little more height or make a small cavity filled with sand or something.

A good thing about building a kit is that you can build them as to be best for you and your application.

Ronno6

« Reply #4 on: 7 Mar 2008, 09:35 pm »
Yup. Long ,tall,..........and that's all!  Good to know the how-to's of raising the speakers. Now I will wait for the permanent La-Z-Boy chairs before making the ultimate height adjustment. The cavity filled with sand is an interesting idea. Now, if I could only find out WHERE to get some sand here in Florida..........................

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #5 on: 8 Mar 2008, 05:29 pm »
Well, if you ARE able to find sand somewhere, here's a tip:  pour it into a pyrex dish and bake it in the oven at a couple hundred eegrees for a while to remove all moisture and kill any tiny bugs that might happen to be in the sand.

Ronno6

« Reply #6 on: 11 Mar 2008, 10:57 pm »
Thanks, Hank. Good tip.   

Milehighguy

« Reply #7 on: 12 Mar 2008, 07:06 am »
I got a cheap bag of sand (I used it in a speaker stand) from Home Depot, and it was already washed. I'm sure Lowes or similar stores would have it.