AVA amplifiers and the multichannel formats

John B

« on: 2 May 2003, 04:48 pm »
Recently I had a friend of mine over to listen to my new audio set-up.   He’d heard the previous incarnations of my system and was really interested in why I had chosen to go with all AVA amplification (350EX -mains/Omegastar 240/3 - center/rears).  Previously I had a combination of Plinius & B&K amps.   He had really liked those, though in comparison to his setup, which is all Theta gear, I think he was just being kind :)

After demo’ing the AVA gear with both stereo and multichannel material he was very excited.   He asked me if AVA was going to come out with any 5-channel amps or perhaps some monoblocks.   Since he has a 7.1 system he said he’d need a 5ch/2ch/mono amp combo.  He also wondered if they made multi-channel tube amps.   I just had to chide him about his interest considering he was talking about some very affordable amplification to replace a mega-expensive Theta Dreadnaught.   His interest was serious though, so I thought I’d post his questions here.  I’ve found that the Omega SS/Fet-valve tube combination to blend surprising well with DVD-A and music DVDs.   I would be very interested though in having tube amplification on all channels.

Redbeard

« Reply #1 on: 5 May 2003, 03:13 am »
I would also like to see Van Alstine come out with some multi-channel configurations, and I would like to encourage anyone else thinking along these lines to speak up.

The item at the top of my wish list would be a 3 channel preamp.  This would allow me to build a combo multi channel audio/HT setup as follows:

Source:           Denon DVD-2900 Universal Player
Front:              Transcendence-7, FetValve 350EX
Center/Rear:    Omegastar-3, Omegastar 240/3

I might prefer a Transcendence 7-3 instead of the Omegastar-3 preamp, but in any case the 3-channel version could be offered in a striped down configuration (no phono stage, headphone amp, etc.).

Personally, I would prefer this path to a pre/pro for the flexibility it offers, and also since video switching is not a high priority for me (my TV has multiple inputs).