Five-way speaker binding posts on current AVA amps?

Parnelli777

Just curious, as I can't see pictures or info on the site. The 550EXR is very tempting for me, BTW. Any Magnepan 1.6 users with this amp?

Wally King

« Reply #1 on: 8 Aug 2005, 03:36 pm »
Yes.  To my ears, the AVA 550exr is a wonderful match with the Maggie 1.6s.  I've had the 550 for about 8 months, and have no desire to keep looking for something else to drive the Maggies.  As I'm sure you already know, the Maggies really come alive with both high current and a lot of high-quality watts, and the 550 certainly provides plenty of what the 1.6s require.  If you haven't already done so, I'd suggest reading some of the in-depth reviews of the 550 in this circle.

The 550 is very fast, dynamic, detailed, clean and smooth; if a recording has powerful bass, the 550 and the 1.6s will reproduce it.  I've never heard better reproduction of a well-recorded acoustic bass than with the 550 and 1.6s.

I have my 550 paired with a VTL 2.5 preamp, and though folks say the AVA power amps have a great synergy with the AVA preamps, and I'm sure they do, my 550 and the VTL get along just fine.

Parnelli777

« Reply #2 on: 8 Aug 2005, 10:15 pm »
Great to hear that. It looks like a first class product. I'm using a 70 watt tube integrated, and while it is certainly sweet to a point, I think the 1.6 will not be fully "lit up" by my amp. I'm not of the thinking that Magnepans need 500+ watts minimum to sound "right", though I'm realizing that my 70 pure tube watts to be a little short. The 550 EXR looks to be the ticket. I like the FetValve method, the best of tube and SS power and current. I would like to stay pure tube on the preamp front.

Thanks

WEEZ

« Reply #3 on: 10 Aug 2005, 02:11 am »
Just a thought...

..while I have not auditioned Maggies in a long while; the AVA 350 amp might be all you need depending on your room size.

The $350 savings would pay for either the remote option on an AVA pre; or the phono option on an AVA pre.

FWIW,

WEEZ :)