Used AVA

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Used AVA
« on: 7 Apr 2003, 10:46 pm »
Any chance you could use a sticky or something to let us know occasionally what you have used?  The reason I ask is because I hit the AVA site pretty close to every day to drool and check out the used stuff, but it still seems like stuff is marked sold before I ever see it offered!

Woodsea

Used AVA
« Reply #1 on: 8 Apr 2003, 12:20 am »
I second that emotion...err, motion

brad b

used AVA
« Reply #2 on: 8 Apr 2003, 10:40 am »
just saw an AVA preamp on audiogon yesterday for next to nothing.  Check quick, as they did not have a "sold" sign up yet.
Brad

avahifi

Used AVA
« Reply #3 on: 8 Apr 2003, 02:04 pm »
Hi:

Stuff does indeed sell pretty fast on the Web site.  I will try and give you a heads up when some used equipment is going to be added to the site.

I looked at the Omega III EC on AudiogoN Web site and it's a very good deal at $199.  The OmegaIII is a very nice unit and with the tape buffers in the EC chassis that's a deal.

I would consider doing the upgrade to the OmegaStar at that low of a price.  The OmegaStar upgrade with the tape buffers would be $$499.  The same configuration in a new piece would be $1028.

Thanks for you interest in AVA products!

Larry Jenkins

jackman

Used AVA
« Reply #4 on: 8 Apr 2003, 02:38 pm »
Larry,
How about a sneak peak on used items for Audiocircle folks?  Maybe a 24 hour or 48 hour advance notice on used products.  

Also, I just bought a Omega II tuner relatively inexpensively on the used market.  Is that a decent tuner?  It's not made anymore but I miss having a tuner.  Is it based on another tuner design or is it an AVA design?  

J

avahifi

Used AVA
« Reply #5 on: 8 Apr 2003, 03:19 pm »
Hi:

I'll see what I can do the on early notice, but I'm not always in the loop as to what Frank has for used equipment.

Is the tuner the one listed on AudiogoN?

Larry

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Used AVA
« Reply #6 on: 8 Apr 2003, 07:57 pm »
I see that AVA pre on Audiogon has been modified to accept an IEC power cord.  That's fine, but it makes me wonder what other "improvements" the owner may have made. :(

A bit of "advance notice" for AC'ers would be cool if it's possible.  Or possibly it would work if people were to PM you with whatever they're looking for.  I don't want to create a lot of work for you folks, just thinking aloud.

avahifi

Used AVA
« Reply #7 on: 8 Apr 2003, 08:52 pm »
Hi Rob:

I saw the new power jack on the unit.  If that is all that was changed it's probably okay.  The only thing to check on is the ground from the power cord.  It should not be connected to the chassis (or anything for that matter).  The chassis is a common ground for the audio circuits.  If the AC ground is connected to the chassis there may be a buzzing problem when connected to some power amps.

Larry

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Used AVA
« Reply #8 on: 8 Apr 2003, 10:20 pm »
How much would it cost to have the Omega III upgraded to full OmegaStar status?  Is the OmegaStar a significant upgrade for the Omega III?

batmanslc

AVA Transcendence 7
« Reply #9 on: 9 Apr 2003, 03:54 am »
I've been cruising these net sites looking for a Trans 7, very hard to find as everyone knows.  I'm currentyly running a Omegastar SL that replaced a FT audio LW-1.  Yes I like the Omegastar so much I decided to focus on the PRE and jump to the 7.  I was lucky enough to hit the AVA web site at the right time to find a used/demo whatever they call it and GRABBED it.  I am also considering trying the new IRD LLC to see what works best.

This pre will run a PS audio hca-2, so I am primed and pumped to get this 7 lit up in my system.  Only dissapointment is it won't LOOK any different!

The Omegastar surpassed all expectations, so I don't know what to expect with the 7.

"current system":  Source: Tosh SD-9200 ~AVA OmegastarSL~PS audio hca-2~ Quad 12L monitors and Talon ROC 2002 Sub~ ZUcables throughout

avahifi

Used AVA
« Reply #10 on: 9 Apr 2003, 01:39 pm »
Hi Rob:

I assume you are asking about upgrading the Omega III EC on AudiogoN:  If that is correct the cost would be $499 ($399 for the preamp and $100 to upgrade the tape buffer).  The upgrade price does not include shipping charges, however.

The OmegaStar is a pretty significant upgrade over the Omega III series.  I find the OmegaStar to be more refined and transparent.  The bandwidth of the OmegaStar is also pretty incredible.

Thanks

Larry Jenkins

drmike

Used AVA
« Reply #11 on: 16 Apr 2003, 01:47 am »
i have 2 omega 111 amps for sale. 1 modified hafler 200, one modified dyna 400. thanks, drmike