Ideal Cross-over hz?

RonP

Ideal Cross-over hz?
« on: 15 Aug 2023, 05:58 pm »
So something got me thinking the other day.

We know lower frequencies are more omni-directional.
We know how subwoofers can easily be located at "suck out" spots in the room and be basically ineffective. And this is one argument for not having a full range speaker.. (ie, the location that's great for the mid + hi's might just be completely awful for a sub or even bass)

So this leads me to the question: what is the ideal cross-over frequency to a sub? Ie to route this frequency and below to a separate unit that can be moved to an optimal position in the room. Ignore the actual capabilites of a given speaker/sub for this mental exercise please.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Ideal Cross-over hz?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Aug 2023, 05:59 pm »
For box subs, my experience is 50 or 60hz is as high as you want to go.  For OB subs you can go higher, up to 200hz, but they need to be located near the main speakers.

Glady86

« Reply #2 on: 15 Aug 2023, 06:37 pm »
If your running the speakers full range, then the speakes F3 bass response in the room would be a good starting point. Most box subwoofers probably won't sound very good much over 60hz for music. I guess with the GR open baffle subs you have plenty of range to experiment with.

I think bass frequencies over 80hz can be to easily located if not right near the speakers.

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 17 Aug 2023, 09:29 pm »
The lower that you can cross them, the easier it is to blend them.