Nx-Otica wiring clarification needed

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: Nx-Otica wiring clarification needed
« Reply #20 on: 7 Jul 2023, 11:12 pm »
The cabinet still resonates even without being a typical box, as there is still pressure at play especially to the sides in the lower portion. Adding the NoRez, especially on the upper-unbraced portion reduces hard reflections and the really reduces the vibrations of the cabinet.
It's why we provide 5 sheets as part of the kit. (and 8 sheets for the NX-Tremes)

You will want to leave about 1" of space between the front baffle and the woofers.
We also recommend beveling the baffle-facing edge of NoRez at a 30-45 degree angle to allow for smoother airflow around that edge.

Glady86

« Reply #21 on: 9 Jul 2023, 12:22 pm »
 First off, A big Thanks to everyone who helped me out. No-Rez is installed, I bought a 9" bandsaw and it made cutting very easy and accurate. I couldn't of cut the angled ends without it.

Just two more questions, I have one full sheet of No-Rez plus some small pieces leftover. Could I put some in my subwoofer cabinets. And where would it be most affective?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #22 on: 9 Jul 2023, 03:23 pm »
Yep it’s good in subs too.  Use it one the largest flat surfaces first.

Glady86

« Reply #23 on: 15 Jul 2023, 03:55 pm »
 Update

First off, I purchased the flatpack kit for the NX-Oticas way back around the time covid starting causing supply issues. After some time waiting for parts availability, I lost ambition to pursue the project. I had the boxes stored in the basement for roughly three years.

In the meantime, I spent a lot of time tweaking my Emerald Physics EP-4.7 speakers with miniDSP and even tried Dirac Live. Though these speakers do some things very well, Dynamics, imaging and soundstage and you dont need subwoofers for strong decent quality bass. Though I did use a pair for the lowest octive mostly for movies. I just couldn't achieve very good tonal balance and resolution.

So I gave up on MiniDSP eq efforts and decided to go ahead and buy the NX-Otica parts kit. The only regret I have was waiting so long to do it! Even without doing much positioning or sub tweaking, just started where I thought best. The sound from these things is beyond my expectations already. One things for certain, I won't be looking to upgrade speakers, probably for the rest of my life. Well, maybe a pair of GR subs eventually.  :D

Oh, plus you get the satisfaction and sense of pride from building them yourself.

Thanks Danny for designing and making these kits available and to those who helped me with my questions.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #24 on: 16 Jul 2023, 06:49 am »
The NX-Studios are the best bookshelf speakers I’ve ever heard, you are right, there’s nothing else to upgrade to. 

Stereo OB subs would be my next project if I were you.  They improve the  bass more than I thought possible when I first heard them. 

Glady86

« Reply #25 on: 21 Jul 2023, 08:04 pm »
 Here's an update on sound quality impressions of the NX OTICAS. Easily the best speakers I've had in my house. IMO the dynamics are ahead of the EP 4.7 which use high efficiency compression tweeters. They have a quality I couldn't achieve with other speakers I owned in that they are very detailed with a natural or "real" sounding midrange without any harshness, very smooth. Soundstaging is top notch too. I like the highs from those tweeters better than speakers I owned with the RAAL tweeter, Scanspeak and some Kef models I've tried out. Bass tight and detailed, though Im using sealed Ultimax subs to fill in at around 60hz down, so some time in the future I will add the GR open baffle subs.

Danny Richie

« Reply #26 on: 21 Jul 2023, 08:51 pm »
Here's an update on sound quality impressions of the NX OTICAS. Easily the best speakers I've had in my house. IMO the dynamics are ahead of the EP 4.7 which use high efficiency compression tweeters. They have a quality I couldn't achieve with other speakers I owned in that they are very detailed with a natural or "real" sounding midrange without any harshness, very smooth. Soundstaging is top notch too. I like the highs from those tweeters better than speakers I owned with the RAAL tweeter, Scanspeak and some Kef models I've tried out. Bass tight and detailed, though Im using sealed Ultimax subs to fill in at around 60hz down, so some time in the future I will add the GR open baffle subs.

Thanks for the feedback. We've tried all of those tweeters too. I'm still very happy with what we are using.

Glady86

« Reply #27 on: 21 Jul 2023, 10:16 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. We've tried all of those tweeters too. I'm still very happy with what we are using.

No problem, keep up the good work.  :D