Using a single good quality capacitor VS low cost capacitor + high end bypass ??

Angelo94

What is the best option to use in speaker crossover?

Single good quality capacitor ( Mundorf MCap Evo )

Low cost capacitor + high end bypass ( Mundorf Mcap Classic + Mundorf MCap Supreme Evo Silver Gold )

77SunsetStrip

The Humble Homemade HiFi capacitor test by Troels Gravesen is a good source of information.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
What is the best option to use in speaker crossover?

Single good quality capacitor ( Mundorf MCap Evo )

Low cost capacitor + high end bypass ( Mundorf Mcap Classic + Mundorf MCap Supreme Evo Silver Gold )

Get the best single cap you can afford and use that. 

Then, later on if you want to bump performance, you can look at getting a bypass cap. 

IMO, it's best to start with the very best foundation possible. 

richidoo

The Humble Homemade HiFi capacitor test by Troels Gravesen is a good source of information.

Tony Gee ;)
very useful!

https://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Get the best single cap you can afford and use that. 

Then, later on if you want to bump performance, you can look at getting a bypass cap. 

IMO, it's best to start with the very best foundation possible.

That would be my recommendation as well.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Before buying any caps do your homework.  Try not to rely on one person’s review of a given brand / model.  Just because a brand has some popularity doesn’t mean it’ll work in your system.  Lots of people like Mundorf and lots of guys don’t.  As usual, these things are subjective.  Speakers and electronics can affect the signal too and should be considered with any evaluation.

I also agree with Tyson and Hobbs. 

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Caps are important.  But when the caps in the crossover begin to exceed the cost of the drivers you have to ask how far down the rabbit hole you really want to go?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Caps are important.  But when the caps in the crossover begin to exceed the cost of the drivers you have to ask how far down the rabbit hole you really want to go?

(not related to which caps, but...) I'm buying a new excavator in order to plume even greater depths in the near future.  :duh: :lol:

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Correct, and spending more doesn't mean your getting more.

Once you start to hit the $40-60 range, per cap, (below 12-15uF at least) there aren't many great gains in performance left to be made.

Often if you're spending more, it's because you're looking for a certain tone or feel that a capacitor provides, which will affect clarity & soundstage presentation.

Tin, aluminum, gold, silver and copper each have their own tonal characteristics, same goes for the use of wax, oil, paper, epoxy or other dielectric materials.

It's all about knowing what sort of sound you want out of the speaker and it's components, and what sorts of materials will get you there.

Angelo94

Thank you all very much for your opinions! 😃

77SunsetStrip

Angelo94 - Hobbs is spot on regarding cost vs benefit.  I have rebuilt crossovers in 4 different speakers ranging from a few hundred $ to mulit $K.  The component quality in the multi $K speaker crossover was virtually identical to the few hundred dollar speaker.  The rebuilds used good quality, not expensive, components.  Still it was overkill for the least expensive speaker, but a learning exercise. 

Each of the 4 rebuilds changed the sound character.  None had bad FR curves with stock crossovers.  The rebuilt crossovers did not result in much FR curve change.  In all cases clarity and separation of notes improved.  The multi $K speaker changed from sterile accuracy to projecting a wide, dynamic, and engaging sound.  The minor downside was exposing the difference between the quality of recordings.  Good recordings sound great, bad recordings - well just sound bad.

Good luck if you decide to try some changes.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
I agree with comments above about choosing for the sound you prefer. Applies to components as well. For test speakers, I always try and keep things as pure as possible without any ‘tone’ introduced by capacitors. I always like Sonic Craft capacitors for this purpose.  For personal systems, I like to go for a smoother tone but always start on with the cleanest, purest capacitors for o get a base to work from. I always try to stay with a single capacitor that has the sound I prefer rather than adding a bypass. Same goes for component voicing.
Just remember, you don’t have to spend a fortune to get great sound.