Misadventures in Planar Land

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Misadventures in Planar Land
« on: 26 Jan 2023, 11:35 pm »
I haven't been listening to my 3.7s too much lately as they were just kind of dead sounding.
It shouldn't be that way as it's not a crummy system so today I did some investigating.
It doesn't sound like the ribbons are working.
Pull the ribbon fuses and no change.  Crap.
Ribbons weren't popped so I tested the fuses and one was popped (probably when a preamp tube went), the other one measured fine but was dead in service.
I chucked them in the garbage, put in new fuses and the ribbons are back in business.
Just weird but I'm glad that's all it was.
That system is not dead sounding any more!

Saturn94

Re: Misadventures in Planar Land
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2023, 12:26 am »
Glad it wasn’t more serious! 👍

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2023, 06:51 pm »
  Try a Purple fuse.

charles

BikeFi10

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jan 2023, 06:42 pm »
So the fuses saved you. That shoots down those who say Maggie fuses arent needed and bypass or solid link them. I was almost ready to try solid links since I replaced my 43 year old amp with a very good unit. I dont have a tube pre, but many other problems can occur.

audiobliss

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 30 Jan 2023, 01:00 am »
Keep the fuses, just upgrade them.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #5 on: 30 Jan 2023, 10:42 am »
All of the ditch the fuses/buy audiophile fuses people mean well but if there's an issue you're the one stuck with the bill.

ketchup

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jan 2023, 03:02 pm »
So the fuses saved you. That shoots down those who say Maggie fuses arent needed and bypass or solid link them. I was almost ready to try solid links since I replaced my 43 year old amp with a very good unit. I dont have a tube pre, but many other problems can occur.

You don't need the fuses until you do.  Bypassing them makes a huge difference, but it's a gamble.  I'd say try it with them bypassed for a few days and decide if it's worth the risk.  Once you hear it without them, the decision becomes very difficult!

BikeFi10

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jan 2023, 03:45 pm »
Audiobliss what fuses do you use? A year back I searched at length for (2) fuses in the low $100 range. Seemed they werent made anymore. Only $100 + per fuse existed. I gave up.
IF a quality fuse makes a noticeable difference, I can see going that route or if you have back up speakers and dont mind the inconvience and cost for speaker repair then go solid link.
I also wonder if xo mods like GR Research sell are safe.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #8 on: 31 Jan 2023, 11:16 am »
I bypassed the fuses in my old MMGs and never looked back, the improvement in sound quality was so much that I couldn't replace them.  The guy who bought them was happy they had been removed as it was one less thing to do in his own plan to mod them.  I've had a lot of speakers over the years, there are five pair here now, and only the Maggie's were fuse protected.  If under warranty I personally wouldn't remove them, perhaps a replacement might be in order.  But if bought used the first thing I'd do is rewire the fuses out of the circuit.

audiobliss

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 1 Mar 2023, 11:37 pm »
Audiobliss what fuses do you use? A year back I searched at length for (2) fuses in the low $100 range. Seemed they werent made anymore. Only $100 + per fuse existed. I gave up.
IF a quality fuse makes a noticeable difference, I can see going that route or if you have back up speakers and dont mind the inconvience and cost for speaker repair then go solid link.
I also wonder if xo mods like GR Research sell are safe.
I use Hi-Fi Tuning,  been using them for years,  sounds good with no issues. They been kind of hard to find lately,  but I see
Parts Connexion has the best selection.