If you were looking for a CD player....

Big Red Machine

Re: If you were looking for a CD player....
« Reply #40 on: 3 Feb 2023, 03:36 pm »
Looking for a SimAudio Moon Equinox. Just because it is cool. :icon_lol:

djbnh

« Reply #41 on: 3 Feb 2023, 03:53 pm »
The best transport in your price range in terms of build quality and reliability is the Jays Audio CDT2 Mk3. The North American distributor is Todd at Tek Audio in Texas. If you don't want to go that far up the chain in price then look at the Nuprime transports like the CDT-8 Pro.  I have actually owned both as well as the higher level Jays model.
Jays also offers the CDT-MK3 (out of your price range). I use the NuPrime CDT-10, love the I2S and its CDT-10 stock I2S cable bested my coax and other cables. The Pro-Ject CD Box RS2 transport is getting good buzz, too. YMMV, good luck with your decision making.

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #42 on: 3 Feb 2023, 04:01 pm »
there's a jay's audio cdt-mk2 for sale here.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=184752.msg1938586#new

2bigears

« Reply #43 on: 3 Feb 2023, 04:39 pm »
 :D wowwww, so many great options. That Pro-Ject Box looks crazy good. Carbon fibre used. Holy shit.  I saw the Jays Mk2 ,, would the mk3 be so much more to buy new worth it ? Thanks all. This site is crazy filled up with good peeps in the know. Over the years has cost me soooo much ,,,,ha.  :D

marvda1

« Reply #44 on: 3 Feb 2023, 04:48 pm »
:D wowwww, so many great options. That Pro-Ject Box looks crazy good. Carbon fibre used. Holy shit.  I saw the Jays Mk2 ,, would the mk3 be so much more to buy new worth it ? Thanks all. This site is crazy filled up with good peeps in the know. Over the years has cost me soooo much ,,,,ha.  :D
The cdt2-mk3 has upsampling, ability to darken or turn the display off, and others say sound better (better transformers).  if you have the cdt2-mk2 there is an upgrade kit you can install yourself for under $1k.

mick wolfe

« Reply #45 on: 3 Feb 2023, 04:51 pm »
FWIW, I went the transport /DAC approach years ago and never looked back. There's just a lot more possibilities on all fronts in regard to choices, upgrades and system tuning. Not that there aren't any excellent one box solutions out there, just that they're few and far between.

marvda1

« Reply #46 on: 3 Feb 2023, 04:51 pm »
The best transport in your price range in terms of build quality and reliability is the Jays Audio CDT2 Mk3. The North American distributor is Todd at Tek Audio in Texas. If you don't want to go that far up the chain in price then look at the Nuprime transports like the CDT-8 Pro.  I have actually owned both as well as the higher level Jays model.
where in texas is tek audio located?

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #47 on: 3 Feb 2023, 06:58 pm »
FWIW, I went the transport /DAC approach years ago and never looked back. There's just a lot more possibilities on all fronts in regard to choices, upgrades and system tuning. Not that there aren't any excellent one box solutions out there, just that they're few and far between.

Agree Mike. However budget rules for the really good one box solutions. Not many to choose from.

charles

dpatters

« Reply #48 on: 3 Feb 2023, 07:21 pm »
The cdt2-mk3 has upsampling, ability to darken or turn the display off, and others say sound better (better transformers).  if you have the cdt2-mk2 there is an upgrade kit you can install yourself for under $1k.
I originally purchased Jays CDT2-MK2 and then purchased and installed the upgrade kit to bring it to MK3 status. This involved switching out the main system board and the display board. While this is end user installable, I wouldn’t recommend it for a novice. I felt the upgrade was definitely worthwhile. I have this paired with the Jays DAC2 Signature with the AKM chipset using I2S connection. It’s a fantastic combination.

Don P

marvda1

« Reply #49 on: 3 Feb 2023, 07:50 pm »
where in texas is tek audio located?
I found it, Buda, Texas south of Austin, Tx.

2bigears

« Reply #50 on: 3 Feb 2023, 08:23 pm »
 :D never in my wildest dreams thought a spinner was so important. Makes sense though. Total stability and finese.   :D

Rocket

« Reply #51 on: 4 Feb 2023, 02:09 pm »
Hi,

I don't know anything about the Jays CDT2-MK2 transport but you'd have to combine it with a great sounding dac.  In Australia it retails for $3800 aud. For a one box solution there are many options...  Good luck with your decision.

Cheers Rod

unfairlane

« Reply #52 on: 6 Feb 2023, 09:16 am »

Me I think I would look for a used Electrocompaniet EMC-1

2bigears

« Reply #53 on: 6 Feb 2023, 05:05 pm »
 :D Norway. Where would you buy one of those and how much are they ? Interesting  :D
      Just looked,  mk5 is 9000.00 ,,,,, yikes  :D
« Last Edit: 6 Feb 2023, 06:08 pm by 2bigears »

unfairlane

« Reply #54 on: 6 Feb 2023, 06:42 pm »
  You can look at Hifishark or ebay, these players are close to immortal as long as you have a serious serviceman at hand

https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=electrocompaniet+emc+1

Two of them for sale here in Norway now, as low as 10k nkr or ca $1000,-

2bigears

« Reply #55 on: 6 Feb 2023, 07:13 pm »
 :D 'immortal'  &  serious service people ?  That sounds not-good.  :D

twitch54

« Reply #56 on: 6 Feb 2023, 08:50 pm »
for the $$ value I vote Rotel, next up in value and $$ ,Marantz (I have the Ruby) and if you're really feeling flush....... Esoteric !

2bigears

« Reply #57 on: 6 Feb 2023, 09:36 pm »
 :D RCD1572 is 1000 bucks. That's pretty inexpensive.  Is that what you mean ,, or is there higher up in the chain.   :D

twitch54

« Reply #58 on: 6 Feb 2023, 10:45 pm »
:D RCD1572 is 1000 bucks. That's pretty inexpensive.  Is that what you mean ,, or is there higher up in the chain.   :D

Great player, I have one in a secondary system. One of the best at its price point so long as you don't need SACD, I do, thus my Marantz 'Ruby' in my main kit

2bigears

« Reply #59 on: 7 Feb 2023, 12:18 am »
 :D the marantz 30n is a good price point ,, the Ruby is pretty up there $$  :D