NuForce P-8 Won't power up to operate

tonyjack

NuForce P-8 Won't power up to operate
« on: 3 Aug 2022, 12:28 pm »
Hello, I have a NuForce P-8 preamp that I really love the sound of. I've had it for quite some time and had it upgraded about 4-5 years ago by Bob Smith. The problem with it is that after changing interconnects with everything completely powered down, the preamp will power up from the power switch in the back (I can hear it click) but it won't power up to operate from either the front panel knob (by pressing in for a few seconds) nor will it power up to operate from the remote. Again , everything was powered down as per the instructions when I changed the cables. Anyone out there know what caused this and what can i do about it? Is it a simple fix by re-boot somehow or do I have to take it to tech etc? Thanks

avta

Re: NuForce P-8 Won't power up to operate
« Reply #1 on: 3 Aug 2022, 02:05 pm »
By power up you mean the lights won't go on? You've unplugged it for a few minutes before trying again?

tonyjack

« Reply #2 on: 3 Aug 2022, 02:58 pm »
Thanks for the response. Yes the lights won't light up . The switch when turned to on (on back of unit) seems to generate a click internally as usual, but then (next step in powering to operate) pressing the volume knob for 3 seconds or so, nor by pressing the on button via remote makes the lights come on. I've had it off now for a month or so and replaced it with another preamp (Ayre K-5x) in the system. I would like to have it working again however and I'm wondering if it needs to rest to re-boot (one person told me that could be a fix)?  Any advice would be great. i know the company is out of business and I guess NuPrime is what it's become ? Not sure about the history etc, but if there is a (NuPrime?)company representative on this forum that knows the product that could chime in, that would be fantastic. It's a very wonderful sounding preamp IMHO!

avta

« Reply #3 on: 3 Aug 2022, 03:05 pm »
Yes Nuprime is the company. Search online for their web site and locate their service department. I’m sure they can help you. There’s a link to the site in the list of companies on the left side of the home page of this site too.

tonyjack

« Reply #4 on: 3 Aug 2022, 03:22 pm »
Thank You. I will try and contact them.

rustydoglim

« Reply #5 on: 3 Aug 2022, 09:54 pm »
Regarding Nuforce support - practically all Nuforce products have been discontinued for 9 years. Other than amp module for Ref 9*, there are no more parts left. It is still possible to fix the P-8, but that would be quite expensive for the following reason - Labor cost and expertise to diagnose the problem - it is not easy to debug an SMD board with tiny parts.  We don't require or expect any of our service centers to repair the board. The standard practice is to replace the entire board.

tonyjack

« Reply #6 on: 4 Aug 2022, 04:16 am »
Thanks for the information in all of your replies. i did speak to someone at NuPrime and yes it looks like parts to repair my P-8 are likely no more. Sounds like a flawed design in the products that has  been a problem. It's too bad because the Preamp really sounded great. Apparently the caps in those circuit boards fail when you shut the unit down and turn back on, which is a serious design and parts flaw. A preamp especially should last for years. I've since replaced the P-8 with an Ayre preamp that sounds great, different but great. I'll certainly miss the sound of the NuForce and wish someone could figure out a way to replace the circuit board, etc with something that is reliable while maintaining the open, detailed, transparent sound that I loved. Thanks again for all of your replies.

rustydoglim

« Reply #7 on: 5 Aug 2022, 03:34 am »
The engineer that designed Nuforce P-8 is not at Nuprime. I don't remember who designed Nuforce P-8.
Nuprime's factory was doing OEM manufacturing and some design for Nuforce at that time, that's why we have the parts.

NuForce P-8 was introduced in 2008.  And if it failed after 10 years, I don't see what design flaw it has. Electronics parts, especially capacitors are not designed to last that long. There are a lot of technical information online about the lifespan of capacitors.

High-end audio technology has come a long way, today's NuPrime PRA-9X would match any preamp at more than $5000.  PRA-9X measurement and sound quality outperform the NuForce P-9 and P20.  I would have offered a discount on PRA-9X if you have contacted me before purchased the Ayre preamp.  I am pretty sure PRA-9X can outperform any preamp within 2 to 3X of its price range. :thumb:

JackD

« Reply #8 on: 5 Aug 2022, 04:10 am »
I'm going to assume you checked but going to ask anyway.  Did you replace the 50 cent fuse?

tonyjack

« Reply #9 on: 5 Aug 2022, 12:08 pm »
Thanks for the great responses! Didn't open anything up to look inside, so I did not check the fuse. It powers up for the first step in the process, but the second step to operate is the problem. When I talked to the person at NuPrime there was no mention of a fuse being the culprit. I know nothing about electronics or how they work unfortunately, so I didn't mention fuses, etc. I have changed the fuse on some other pieces of gear I own and it's an easy task on some gear. As for the piece being old (at perhaps 10-12 years old), that may be true that the parts don't last forever etc, but I have gear, including some preamps that are much older that still function perfectly and a few which have only required some cleaning of pots, switches, etc. These include, McIntosh C28 (early 70's), Pioneer Spec 1 (mid 70's), Counterpoint SA-1000 (early 90's), Audible Illusions (mid 90's) as well as Audio Research and Ayre from roughly same manufacture period of the P-16.Most of those brands are also still very much in business so parts, service are still available if need be. Maybe the NuForce was a bad one from the batch? NuForce being out of business is the real issue here and I certainly understand that. The person at NuPrime did say however that this was a problem that was not uncommon in those products. I still think it's a wonderful preamp sonically and would love to hear a current NuPrime preamp one day. Don't know of any dealers here in the NJ/NY area however. Thanks again for the replies.