Spatial at Pacific Audio Fest

newzooreview

Spatial at Pacific Audio Fest
« on: 30 Jul 2022, 04:52 pm »
Anticables sent a day one e-mail with a couple of photos of the X4s with the new Anticables Level 4.2 Flex speaker cables and shots of the room (below), and the Audiophile Junkie channel on Youtube has been uploading footage of rooms but hasn't yet made it to the Spatial Audio room: https://www.youtube.com/c/AudiophileJunkie/videos

Is there other coverage that anyone has found?

The AV Show Reports channel on Youtube usually posts following a show, but they have never covered a Spatial Audio room (or it doesn't show up in a search of their channel).

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
Re: Spatial at Pacific Audio Fest
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2022, 07:04 pm »
It sounds real good.  I personally like what LTA is doing.  And with LTA in multiple rooms it has helped me with what I am hearing.

Alan

newzooreview

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2022, 07:45 pm »
Yes, it looks like LTA was in a room with Daedalus speakers as well. It looked like the same Daedalus pair they have in their shop in Maryland, but maybe it is a newer model than that one.

Was there a good crowd today? Judging from the videos, it was not very busy at the show yesterday, which seems reasonable for a Friday.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jul 2022, 08:11 pm »
I spent time in the Spatial room both yesterday and today. Man...awesome sounding system!

Michael

newzooreview

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jul 2022, 08:25 pm »
A video of the room just showed up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxtL9s_bu5k

The track playing is by Dominique Fils-Aimé. Her recordings seem to be popular at shows. They are well recorded and then very compressed and mixed to be forward with a lot of midrange, so even mediocre speakers will sound dynamic and lively and detailed. On my Sapphires at home I can hear very well defined, textured bass that is not coming through on the Android phone that was used to make the video.

What seems to come through in the video is that despite this being a hot, forward recording, the X4s seem to provide a natural sounding vocal with a lot of speed and subtlety that brings out the emotion.

« Last Edit: 30 Jul 2022, 09:58 pm by newzooreview »

newzooreview

« Reply #5 on: 31 Jul 2022, 01:16 am »
The comments on the Youtube video are interesting.

Maybe it is just me ...but Spatial spkrs seem to be able to sonically compete with the big boys ! They offer a lot of premium value sonically and I can't really find anything sonically lacking in their presentations . I wish that I had heard them before I purchased my spkrs. I like the X4's and the M3 Saphires a lot . If I was starting out in this hobby ,I think that this brand would be a lead choice contender to build a high end system. How do you feel comparing them to your GR Extremes ?

I think the fellow who runs the Youtube channel owns a pair of GR Research Extremes, hence the comment.

How close are the Spatial Audios to the Linkwitz?  I’m thinking the Spatial Audio are much easier to amplify, more options, and cheaper.

My daughter really enjoyed this room on Friday.

I've never heard open baffle speakers...am I missing out ?

Wow..i wish you were here longer.

Same. It looked as if the Youtube fellow came during lunch and didn't get to talk with Clayton.

I wish there were more video coverage of shows overall. A decent mic and field portable recorder like a Sound Devices Mix Pre is not too difficult to come by.

Maybe someone else will visit the room tomorrow.

minatophase3

« Reply #6 on: 31 Jul 2022, 04:46 pm »
I thought the Spatial room was one of the best sounding rooms of the entire show.  I own a pair of M4 Shapphires and love them, the X4's sounded better and I am considering making the upgrade.  This was also the first time I have heard any of the LTA gear and was very impressed with it, now understand why people give it such high praises!  The Linkwitz speakers sounded amazing but you need to buy the whole system, the Spatials will let you add to your existing system for a lot less money. but the bass the Linkwitz put out is on a different level and is amazing! 

After seeing all of the rooms, what really struck me was the simplicity of the Spatial room, speakers, integrated amp and DAC and that's it.  I was in the Wells Audio/Bella Sound room, which probably had the best sound according to my ears, but they had 7 power cords and each power cord cost $5,500!  That's $38,500 in power cords, did count the dual mono blocks, DAC, preamp, speakers, etc. 

I have been a Spatial fan since I received my M4 Sapphires and after hearing everything at the show I am convinced that their speakers are the best value for the money and punch substantially above their asking price.  They are easy to place in a room, sound better than a lot of $30K plus speakers I heard at the show and are made in the USA by a great guy and company. 

After visiting the show I feel even better about my current system as I didn't hear a lot that made me want to upgrade, except the X4's. 

newzooreview

« Reply #7 on: 31 Jul 2022, 05:45 pm »
What was it that impressed you about the X4s?

I own the M3 Sapphires and they are a joy. But one is always curious!

It would be interesting if Spatial setup in one of those huge megasystem rooms at one of the shows. It might be embarrassing how close a pair of X3s could come to the sound of the typical multi $100k setup. I do expect that with the right choice of components and setup, there are still gains to be had for a price, but it would be interesting to see the idea tested. I think the bigger rooms get more attention at the shows because people naturally equate the volume of the space with the capability of the speakers.

Having said that, a big advantage of open-baffle bass and controlled directivity of the AMT drivers in the X series is how well they minimize reflections in medium-sized rooms. So having one of the small rooms at the show does show off the speakers in a common home setting.

I guess they just need to run two rooms at Capitol Audio Fest in November! (If they are planning to be there).

minatophase3

« Reply #8 on: 31 Jul 2022, 05:53 pm »
What was it that impressed you about the X4s?

I own the M3 Sapphires and they are a joy. But one is always curious!

They sounded a bit more spacious, had more air.  Bass was better than my M4 Sapphires as well, probably due to different drivers.  I am sure the LTA amp and Holo Spring May DAC helped with that as well.  I am using a Lumin T2 with internal DAC, which is very good, but I am sure the stand alone May DAC is better. 

I just listened to a few of the same songs from the show on my system again this morning, and the M4s still do sound amazing.  Back to back comparison the X4s will win out, but the sapphire line up is pretty good, especially given the price.

newzooreview

« Reply #9 on: 31 Jul 2022, 06:18 pm »
They sounded a bit more spacious, had more air.  Bass was better than my M4 Sapphires as well, probably due to different drivers.  I am sure the LTA amp and Holo Spring May DAC helped with that as well.  I am using a Lumin T2 with internal DAC, which is very good, but I am sure the stand alone May DAC is better. 

I just listened to a few of the same songs from the show on my system again this morning, and the M4s still do sound amazing.  Back to back comparison the X4s will win out, but the sapphire line up is pretty good, especially given the price.

Thanks! More spacious and airy compared to the Sapphire is saying something.

I got the Holo May KTE DAC in March of last year, and it is exceptional. The USB input is unique and highly effective, and it has a dedicated true DSD DAC (unlike most DACs that convert DSD and send it to their PCM chip). I have a couple dozen DSD albums, and they are really a treat.

minatophase3

« Reply #10 on: 31 Jul 2022, 06:23 pm »
I am considering getting a Holo Spring 3 KTE or Denafrips Pontus II for my system, think either would be a great addition.

GeorgeAb

« Reply #11 on: 31 Jul 2022, 07:25 pm »
To my ears, one of the best sounding rooms at the show, loved the X4's. Well done!

RonN5

« Reply #12 on: 31 Jul 2022, 09:22 pm »
Spaciousness and airiness can be the room or the equipment differences.  What about any differences on tone of various instruments or degree of realism of the music presentation?  or on the negative side brightness or sibilance?

minatophase3

« Reply #13 on: 31 Jul 2022, 10:11 pm »
Spaciousness and airiness can be the room or the equipment differences.  What about any differences on tone of various instruments or degree of realism of the music presentation?  or on the negative side brightness or sibilance?
I only stayed for a couple of songs and am not very good at describing sounds, but I would say the setup sounded slightly more realistic than my setup at home and instrument separation was slightly better.  I did not notice anything negative about the presentation.  I think the combo of the speakers, amp and dac were a perfect blend and that helped as well.  While listening to them I was 90% sure i was going to upgrade my M4's but now after hearing my system again, I think I may upgrade the DAC.  While I think the X4 is a better speaker, the M Series is pretty amazing as well.

Sorry wish I could give a better audio description.

RonN5

« Reply #14 on: 31 Jul 2022, 10:39 pm »
No doubt that very slight tweaks to speaker or listener positioning can make big differences… as can changing the front end equipment.   I have the M3 Sapphires and found that changing how far they lean back… I made them more upright… had a big positive effect… in my room… but may not work for anyone else.

newzooreview

« Reply #15 on: 1 Aug 2022, 12:43 am »
No doubt that very slight tweaks to speaker or listener positioning can make big differences… as can changing the front end equipment.   I have the M3 Sapphires and found that changing how far they lean back… I made them more upright… had a big positive effect… in my room… but may not work for anyone else.

Interesting. How low is your ceiling and how far away do you sit? Could the first reflection from the ceiling to your listening position have been reduced/shifted by slightly tilting the speakers forward (to a more vertical position)?

The vertical off axis frequency response will be a bit variable. I don't recall seeing measurements on that. Perhaps that's accounts for the difference.

What is improved by the more vertical position in your setup?

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #16 on: 1 Aug 2022, 01:33 am »
Interesting. I have the M3’s from 2019 without the outboard crossover. They stand perfectly vertical. The later versions have the slight incline. Clayton’s designs are constantly evolving.

kenreau

« Reply #17 on: 1 Aug 2022, 01:39 am »
To my ears, one of the best sounding rooms at the show, loved the X4's. Well done!

Ditto.  Just returned from the show visit today. Made 2 trips to the Spatial Audio room and was very impressed. Got to chat with Clayton for some time and really enjoyed the conversations and great music.  My first time to hear the open baffle speakers and the speed, transparency and minimal room acoustic interaction issues were impressive.  I have the X4s on my wish list now. 

Kenreau

RonN5

« Reply #18 on: 1 Aug 2022, 02:20 am »
I’ve got 10’ ceilings… sit 10’ back… speakers 9’ apart… rake back angle about 3-4 degrees.

newzooreview

« Reply #19 on: 1 Aug 2022, 02:32 am »
I’ve got 10’ ceilings… sit 10’ back… speakers 9’ apart… rake back angle about 3-4 degrees.

Interesting. I haven't changed the factory defaults, and my M3 Sapphires are tilted back 3°.

I have them on the black cones that came with the speakers. Each cone is on an identical Herbie's slider. Although the slider raise the speaker up maybe 1/2 an inch they wouldn't change the tilt.