CDT-10 Short Life / Service

LostInPA

CDT-10 Short Life / Service
« on: 29 Jul 2022, 06:54 am »
In March of 2020, I purchased new two NuPrime CDT-10 disc transports.   These are consecutively numbered units, S/N 3001031 and 3001032, purchased new directly from John Casler of Summit Audio Video. In May of 2022, most of the display failed on one of the units, though it did continue to play discs. In June of 2022, the other unit failed, often going spontaneously from Play to Standby. These two transports were in two separate systems, each with it's own UPS as protection from line power irregularities. The two units were also each almost always placed in Standby when not in actual use, and rarely totally unpowered. *** Slightly more than two years is a suspiciously short life before failure!***  It seems to me that the problem is either in the power supply or the logic circuit, possibly a design or manufacturing problem, more likely an underspecified or poorly manufactured component part problem. My communications with John Casler and with the presumed authorized repair facility in Canada have been unhelpful. Can anyone provide me with some direction here?   Right now, all that I have is two expensive doorstops.   I would communicate directly with the factory in Taipei if I could find an email address for them.   

maxima95

Re: CDT-10 Short Life / Service
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jul 2022, 04:47 pm »

Sorry to hear of this.

" ...My communications with John Casler and with the presumed authorized repair facility in Canada have been unhelpful. "

What do you mean by "unhelpful?"

Did they offer to troubleshoot or repair (I assume the items are out of Warranty)?

Did they decline to provide you with contact info for the factory in Tapei?

What did they not do that you wanted them to do?

John Casler

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jul 2022, 05:18 pm »
My communications with John Casler and with the presumed authorized repair facility in Canada have been unhelpful.

Hi "Lost",

So sorry to hear of your issue, but it is confusing to me that you said you communicated with me, as I have no reccolection of that.

First thing I would do, would be to troubleshoot the issue(s) and the second thing I would advise you to fill out a "support ticket".

Did you file a "support ticket"?

No problems can be solved without this action, as it is how support issues are tracked and solved, so if you contacted me that would be part of our discussion.

Feel free to contact me again if I can assist further, but until the support ticket is filed no action can occur.

LostInPA

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jul 2022, 05:30 pm »
Unhelpful is a post by someone who asks what I mean by unhelpful.   Unhelpful would be a compendium of my various communications with the people associated with NuPrime that I have been in communication with.   Unhelpful would be any consideration of whether the units are in or out of warranty, because that does not affect the problem.   

Helpful would be a communication from the NuPrime people who I have been in contact with that they have reported this issue to the factory, as the units that I have are early production units with what I consider to be a systemic problem that they may already have a fix for.   I have received no communication that this has been reported to the factory.

Stay on topic!!

LostInPA

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jul 2022, 05:35 pm »
To John Casler:

There is a support ticket for the first  defective unit; the second defective unit is an add-on.

I have been in direct contact with you.

Have you reported this issue to the factory?  If not, why not?  If not,  send me their email address so that I can report the issue to them directly.

John Casler

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jul 2022, 05:56 pm »
To John Casler:

There is a support ticket for the first  defective unit; the second defective unit is an add-on.

I have been in direct contact with you.

Have you reported this issue to the factory?  If not, why not?  If not,  send me their email address so that I can report the issue to them directly.

I don't have any direct communication with the factory.  All unsolvable repair issues are ONLY handled through the "support ticket" process.  That ticket goes directly to the support personnel in Taiwan. 

So, I am happy to assist you, but you would need to send me the support ticket assigned, and I will follow up to the degree possible in my capacity.

LostInPA

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jul 2022, 07:27 pm »
John,

- You have still not said that information about these defects in early production models has been forwarded to the factory.

- You have still not told me the email address of the factory.

seikosha

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jul 2022, 09:17 pm »
John,

- You have still not said that information about these defects in early production models has been forwarded to the factory.

- You have still not told me the email address of the factory.

He stated that he doesn’t have any direct communication with the factory, so that implies that he hasn’t notified them of a problem and he probably doesn’t have any email addys.  I hope your issues get resolved.  Two broken units in such a short period of time is not good.

rustydoglim

« Reply #8 on: 3 Aug 2022, 01:29 pm »
Hi Steve,

Support email is posted on the website https://nuprimeaudio.com/support/  (since you are bypassing USA support, the email is listed under International Support - which means anyone can contact support, including those in the USA).

I can see that ticket #1393 has two non-functioning CDT-10.  You created the ticket on May 11 and on May 16 the Taiwan support staff replied (he happened to be on sick leave). In the following days, you provided photos, and he remotely tried to identify the problem. On May 24, he asked you to perform some tests. But you didn't reply until June 28.

I would say that Nuprime support has been responsive considering that you asked for remote support to identify the problem (instead of shipping the items to the service center in Florida). You then went silent for a month.  At this point, the problem hasn't been remotely identified.  Taiwan support staff asked you this question on May 24:
Dear Steve
Great, you have the ability to measure electronically, can you help me to measure whether the three voltages in the picture below are correct?
I need to confirm which part is damaged
Kimi

But you did not provide any answer.  And then you responded by asking what you should do. So at this point, the problem wasn't identified, and you have been trying to call Aamir, the USA distributor.  He can't do anything.

Nobody can determine the next steps until the items are at the service center. Why are they non-functioning? Is it possible that it was kept in a humid environment for a long time without being used (I am just speculating, not accusing)? Or is it because of some common defective parts? Is it stored in the garage that is freezing during winter and hot during summer?
This is a public forum, and if CDT-10 has a lot of problems, I am sure we will all hear about it.
No one can provide an answer until you send the items to service center.

If we determined that the problem is caused by defective parts, we will provide free replacement board for out-of-warranty service. But if the failure is due to other reason not caused by Nuprime, the service center would bill you for the parts and labor.  We don't own the service center and you do have to pay for the labor charge.  We can negotiate on your behalf to get the service center to reduce the fee. And we can discount the parts.
But we can only figure out how to take care of the problem if you follow the support process.

Thanks
Jason

LostInPA

« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 01:05 pm »
To John, Kimi, Aamir, Jason, and any others who have not answered my questions:

- On May 16, Support asks for  a photo of the internal DAC board.   I was helpful, and sent 2 photos.   Question to self was, WHY?   Asking for the photos is proof that they know that there have been design changes.   Still, why the need for photos?  The serial number itself is all that is needed to pinpoint the revision status.

- From this point forward, the main question concerning suspiciously short operating life of two consecutively serial numbered early production units that failed within weeks of each other has still not been answered.   

- Attempts to blame the user is, to me, merely an attempt at obfuscation.   This is something that I expect from sales/marketing people, and is appalling when posited by design/manufacturing people.

- You have no need to reply to this post.   I have sussed out the situation to my satisfaction, and no longer hold out any hope of satisfactory explanations or remedies.