Acoustic Treatment Behind Open Baffle

forky

Acoustic Treatment Behind Open Baffle
« on: 29 Jul 2022, 03:24 am »
I have a new and untreated room. I have read in an older thread that diffusion is better behind OB but thought I would get some updated opinions - in case some prefer absorption or a hybrid or ?

I haven't set the speakers up yet but will likely be 4' from the front wall and 3' from the side wall. Issue is that much of the front wall are 3 huge sliding glass doors - which will have curtains but I'm thinking about putting something more substantial behind the speakers themselves (although they will likely be mostly in front of drywall but some curtains/glass).

aniwolfe

Re: Acoustic Treatment Behind Open Baffle
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jul 2022, 05:15 pm »
I would recommend the ABB1 Mr. 'T' Hemispherical Radiation Diffusers by P I Audio > https://piaudiogroup.com/

Another tip for better sound, use a low back fabric or rattan (no shiny leather) listening chair or couch that does not block your ears from the back. I would recommend free clearance from the top of your shoulders up. Made a HUGE difference for me. The IKEA POANG Chairs are the worst.

Mr. Big

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2022, 02:49 pm »
I have a new and untreated room. I have read in an older thread that diffusion is better behind OB but thought I would get some updated opinions - in case some prefer absorption or a hybrid or ?

I haven't set the speakers up yet but will likely be 4' from the front wall and 3' from the side wall. The issue is that much of the front wall is 3 huge sliding glass doors - which will have curtains but I'm thinking about putting something more substantial behind the speakers themselves (although they will likely be mostly in front of drywall but some curtains/glass).

I use GIK and ASC panels along with 2" blinds titled up but NOT closed to make a nice defuser along with drapes on the large window behind my speakers along with canvas prints on each side wall so as not to look like a recording studio.

forky

« Reply #3 on: 31 Jul 2022, 03:22 pm »
LOL for the Ikea chair. That is what you see pictured below. I have this on order and althogh it is leather, it is soft leather: https://www.potterybarn.com/products/raylan-leather-armchair/?catalogId=84&sku=3313847&cm_ven=PLA&cm_cat=Google&cm_pla=Furniture%20%3E%20Chairs&region_id=751260&cm_ite=3313847_14546951700&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqL2diLKj-QIVC_nICh3lmwqIEAQYAiABEgIiNfD_BwE

I like the diffusors, thanks, will consider.

The shades used as a diffusor is a great idea. Will also consider but probably won't be wife approved - maybe.

Below is a pic from a few days ago. Rug will be here on Friday and curtains are here and just need to be hung - may add shades if wife approves. Since it is the LR wife approval is part of this and proving even more difficult than I thought.

I'm still working on "approval"  :roll: for the following but here is what I'm thinking:
-ASC 16"  tube traps in the two front corners
-??? behind the speakers and in front of the curtains which are in front of the glass. Maybe the diffusors mentioned above, maybe somehing from Gik or other but has to look really nice, as do everything.
-GIK 242 custom image panels on the walls for 1st reflections
-back wall - this is tricky because about 40% of it is open although there is drywall behind the seating position which is about 6' from my chair. Also tricky is that whatever I put on the wall cannot be more than 2" thick. maaaybe 3". May just do another GIK 242 w/ custom graphics or a canvas print.

Btw, room is approx 19' wide x 22' long x 12' ceiling height. She already told me no "cloud".

On that note I went ahead and ordered Focal headphones last night, which will probably get more use than the M3s unfortunately. The house is very open so M3s will only get listened to when she is out of the house - although I am thinking about sound proofing (as much as posible) the MBR door so I can listen to at lower levels at night.

theclipper

« Reply #4 on: 6 Aug 2022, 04:18 pm »
Is there any guideline as to how far up on the wall acoustic panels should be hung? I’ve currently got some GIK 244 panels sitting on the floor in the first reflection points, but would like to optimize the height of them.

rockadanny

« Reply #5 on: 6 Aug 2022, 05:26 pm »
I've been told by one mfr to place center of wall treatments at seated ear height. So I did this for my OBs:

Scroof Neachy

• I like to smell stuff
« Reply #6 on: 6 Aug 2022, 10:52 pm »
Mapletree Audio huh? Great stuff! Rama Lama Fa Fa Fa.

rockadanny

« Reply #7 on: 7 Aug 2022, 06:01 am »
Yeah. A piece, along with CD player, which has remained constant over the years. A solid performer.

theclipper

« Reply #8 on: 8 Aug 2022, 01:13 pm »
Is there any guideline as to where exactly to place a panel behind the speaker? I.e directly behind it, or would it be better to place them more in line with where the woofers are aimed (so slightly laterally more towards the corner). I’m trying out some GIK Alpha 6a hybrid panels. So far they seem to have really cleaned things up and added a little depth.

mrotino332

« Reply #9 on: 8 Aug 2022, 02:37 pm »
The photo is deceiving but I have my X5's toed in and the back wave mid and tweeters are hitting the GIK alpha panels squarely.  I also have bass traps on the floor which are the height of the woofers in which the alpha panels are resting on.  I placed the diffusion panels in the middle of the front wall that Aniwolfe mentioned in an earlier post which covers most of the front wall as I have a narrow dedicated room in the basement.  I found this sounds best in my room. 

forky

« Reply #10 on: 2 Nov 2022, 05:26 pm »
My ABB1s are in and painted but I need to figure out stands for them since they won't be mounted on a wall / will be freestanding. Greg is working on this but it looks like his just have a base for them and only raises them an inch or so.

Question - how far off the ground should these deflection panels be to make the most impact / improvement? Looking at the pics here and online I'm thinking at least 1' or maybe line up the bottom of the panel with the top of lower woofer.

If that is the case then I'll likely have to go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy some wood to make my own.  :?

Thanks.

BobM

« Reply #11 on: 2 Nov 2022, 06:38 pm »

I built these after seeing the (very expensive) buddist monk version at a show. It's just a bunch of dowels, stained and varnished and held in place by a board top and bottom. Varying diameters and a random pattern of placement. I have one on the front wall behind each speaker and they work wonderfully and look a bit better than many other options.

forky

« Reply #12 on: 2 Nov 2022, 08:07 pm »
Wow, have never seen anything like that before but look great. My racks are maple w/ walnut and the M3s are walnut. Gets me thinking....but we'll see how the ABB1s do first once I figure out mounting and height.

BobM

« Reply #13 on: 3 Nov 2022, 11:59 am »

Here they are in use

celebrat

« Reply #14 on: 3 Nov 2022, 04:16 pm »
Those venerable Apogees (not certain of model) sure look sweet. Nice system :wave:

forky

« Reply #15 on: 3 Nov 2022, 05:17 pm »
x2! When I first saw them I thought they were Carver speakers. Those are the only speakers that have made such an impression on me that I never forgot them (besides the ones I purchased but weren't at that level). It seems like they are similar from what little I just read.

So for my ABB1s I'm still thinking about how I'm going to mount them (height) and how far back from the rear of the speakers/speaker line but that one is easy since I can just play w/ it. They are 6.6' from the front wall so I have that much room to move them back and forth.

GIK 242s should be here later today!....and the "hifi" related boxes that will be delivered here for a while.

bobh123

« Reply #16 on: 4 Nov 2022, 04:45 am »
GIK offers consulting on each user's specific needs.  They also have regular B stock where you find reduced prices, and if you need less than a full set.

For those that enjoy not-so-light reading, the Master Handbook of Acoustics has lots of great info and examples.  Many other references are also available; be sure to look for one with more recent research and credible chapters.

Bob

bobh123

« Reply #17 on: 4 Nov 2022, 05:07 am »
I didn't want to cover most surfaces with panels because of cost and looks in a room that has other purposes.  My compromise using all GIK:

One 2x4 ceiling absorption panel at the reflection points for sound from the tweeters.
Four bass/diffusion panels about 3 ft behind my M3's, two behind each M3
Two absorption panels on the side walls at the reflection points from the tweeters
One corner bass panel to my right side; couldn't fit one to my left side because of other items.
One 2x3 absorption panel and one 1x4 bass panel behind my head

While the frequency response from my chair isn't completely flat, it's decent and I've tamed one room peak around 70 Hz.  I don't listen to much heavy bass so didn't add more bass units to further tame.

Bob